Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 07:13 PM

16 posts, read 31,842 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone

I am from New York City, but I am interested in moving down South. Tennessee in particular is absolutely beautiful and I would love to live there. I am looking for a small town, no more than 6,000 residents. Don't worry, it won't be a culture shock to me because I am used to being in small towns. I live in Staten Island and hardly go to Manhattan, plus I have spent many summer months visiting relatives in small towns. So I know what to expect when I move.

When I was in Tennesee, I visited Nashville, Franklin, Memphis, and Germantown. Nashville was a great city and I enjoyed myself there. I don't like to go out often and having restaurants nearby is not important to me as I cook and prefer homemade food. I would like for the town to have gatherings, such as a volunteer day, town fairs, festivals, bake sales, etc. Even though I don't go to church, I wouldn't mind volunteering for church events such as those I listed.

I want to be able to invite my neighbors into my home and be like family with them, so a friendly area is a must. ( I know that TN is a friendly state, but you know what I mean ) My hobbies are simple, I like to read, hike, go biking, gardening, etc. It's not that important for me to be near water, but having a lake within an hour or two would be nice. I hate cookie cutter houses, I prefer an older house with a wrap around porch.

As per work, I am planning on opening a cafe coffee/bakery shop. I don't mind driving around an hour, so I could figure out where I want to open my shop once I find the right town to live. I would like to be an hour within Nashville. If there are any nice towns near Knoxville, you can suggest those as well.

Thank you!

Also, I would like to add in that I am 24 years old. I can buy a home up to $300,000. A friend will be moving with me and we will be living together until we get settled and used to things, then she will purchase her own home. She has similar interests as me, so it doesn't make a difference to her. However, we both are single if that matters or helps or the area of choosing, it would be nice to have nice Southern guys around around

Last edited by AnnaK001; 02-09-2013 at 07:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 09:23 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,704,942 times
Bell Buckle is a cute town that has regular festivals and events. It's not too terribly far from Nashville if you wanted to do things there. It also has a boarding school so there might be some bake sales and events tied to the school. And there are some gorgeous historic homes there.
Here's a link to some town information:
Bell Buckle Chamber of Commerce - Past Event Photos

Old 02-09-2013, 09:27 PM

24 posts, read 44,998 times
Sounds like you have a great plan and wherever you decide to settle in, welcome to Tennessee!

Old 02-10-2013, 09:34 AM

Thanks for your help! I checked your link and did some other searches, Bell Buckle does look like a cute little town. I will definitely be visiting that town before I decide to move? What about Hendersonville, is that a good area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Bell Buckle is a cute town that has regular festivals and events. It's not too terribly far from Nashville if you wanted to do things there. It also has a boarding school so there might be some bake sales and events tied to the school. And there are some gorgeous historic homes there.
Here's a link to some town information:
Bell Buckle Chamber of Commerce - Past Event Photos

Old 02-10-2013, 09:35 AM

Thank you The kindness you Tennesseans have is the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter42 View Post
Sounds like you have a great plan and wherever you decide to settle in, welcome to Tennessee!

Old 02-10-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaK001 View Post
Thanks for your help! I checked your link and did some other searches, Bell Buckle does look like a cute little town. I will definitely be visiting that town before I decide to move? What about Hendersonville, is that a good area?
Hendersonville is a nice suburb of Nashville. It has a population of 50,000+, so it didn't seem to meet your requirements. But if you are open to larger suburbs, it has a lake and is a nice place to live. Some of the c-d members from Hendersonville recommend White House as a good small town for people who don't want suburbs, maybe you could look there. I'm not that familiar with White House.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:06 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,276,884 times
Just some suggestions to check out.

Sparta
Smithville
Watertown
Hohenwald
Sewanee (small college town -- picturesque)
Lynchburg (yes, the home of Jack Daniels)

Old 02-10-2013, 02:30 PM

Smithville is small, but not terribly pretty. Their "historic" downtown, lacks, well, pretty much anything historic. There is a jail in the town square. I would mark Smithville off your list, you can do better.

Sewanee is beautiful as well as Lynchburg. I like Fayetteville as well.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:06 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,276,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Smithville is small, but not terribly pretty. Their "historic" downtown, lacks, well, pretty much anything historic. There is a jail in the town square. I would mark Smithville off your list, you can do better.

Sewanee is beautiful as well as Lynchburg. I like Fayetteville as well.
I think Sparta is quite a bit better than Smithville, but I listed Smithville primarily because it's on the way from Watertown to Sparta.

Fayetteville is bigger than the 6,000 requirement laid out in the OP...but not by very much. I like it, too...and it would probably offer more in terms of finding a cool little historic house (for a decent price) than most towns.

Lynchburg might be a decent option for starting a business (bakery/coffee shop) because of the unusual amount of tourist traffic for a town of its size. Sewanee has the university, but not much else. It doesn't really have a downtown/town square like a lot of towns, but I think there would be a decent opportunity to start a business, though.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:45 PM

375 posts, read 1,092,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I think Sparta is quite a bit better than Smithville, but I listed Smithville primarily because it's on the way from Watertown to Sparta.

Fayetteville is bigger than the 6,000 requirement laid out in the OP...but not by very much. I like it, too...and it would probably offer more in terms of finding a cool little historic house (for a decent price) than most towns.

Lynchburg might be a decent option for starting a business (bakery/coffee shop) because of the unusual amount of tourist traffic for a town of its size. Sewanee has the university, but not much else. It doesn't really have a downtown/town square like a lot of towns, but I think there would be a decent opportunity to start a business, though.
Sparta isn't in great shape right now, there's been a lot of small to mid-sized industry and some chain restaurants close in the last few years. Unemployment rate in White county was 11% in Dec '12 (most recent stats available). Most of the commercially viable eateries rely on traffic from HWY 111 so not so much of a hometown vibe. Moore county was a lot better at 6.7% and Lynchburg is trying hard to push the tourist angle, the demographics for a cafe/bakery would likely be a lot better.

Last edited by yarddawg; 02-10-2013 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: looked at the wrong month for unemployment stats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee