Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:34 AM

92,217 posts, read 122,469,470 times

Advertisements

What kind of community is Fayetteville? Is it more rural or Small town America? Is it walkable or sprawled out? Does it have more of a historical vibe or is it a "newer" looking community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,275,658 times
It's a small town with a historic center, town square, and some historic houses. It's not really sprawly in the suburban sense, but a lot of small towns have some level of sprawl in terms of newer shopping centers, Walmarts, fast food, newer warehouses/factories, highway bypasses and the development that comes with them, etc. Just not really much of the cul-de-sac type sprawl.

Walkable would depend on your definition. Yes, if you lived right in town, you might find it walkable...but I don't know if it's walkable in the sense you are looking for.

Some of Fayetteville looks like this: (town square)
https://maps.google.com/?ll=35.15200...271.6,,0,-5.94

Some of it looks like this: (historic homes in town)
https://maps.google.com/?ll=35.15395...218.57,,0,1.74

Some of it looks like this: (sprawly highway commercial)
https://maps.google.com/?ll=35.12852...57.45,,0,-2.01

And some of it looks like this: (typical 50s/60s suburban style neighborhood)
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Fayet...13.34,,0,10.42

It's definitely an older vibe, overall...especially in terms of housing. Being 18-20 miles from an interstate and sort of "off the beaten path" (not particularly close to a major city) has its blessings and curses. It retains its small town atmosphere better than some places close to the interstate (where commercial development has been sucked away from the downtowns) but it has likely missed out on some potential commercial opportunities because of that. It's on a decently major crossroads of US highways (64, 231, and 431), but that doesn't really help them with many distance travelers making their way through. I went through there fairly recently, and it doesn't seem like a dead town in any way, but many small towns in Tennessee have struggling economies. I do not know if they are one of them...but they don't appear to be "devastated" like some.

Overall -- Fayetteville is a nice cute small town with fewer than 7,000 residents. They did have a slight population loss from 2000-2010, so that does not point to a particularly healthy atmosphere. But that is relatively common in Tennessee.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:17 AM

Interesting, well they may like this news, if it is truly final: Daikin McQuay plant in Auburn closing in 2014

Economic development group hopes to talk Daikin McQuay out of Auburn plant closing | syracuse.com

So, perhaps it may give that area a shot in the arm.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:48 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,704,247 times
Fayetteville is really pretty. I used to drive through there regularly for work and always enjoyed driving through the town. The landcape down there with the hills and green is gorgeous and then you drive into this pretty, historic downtown. If my husband had a job he could do in a small town, I've always thought that would be a nice place to live. Buy one of the historic homes in downtown and set up a little dental/law/etc. practice downtown.
Here's a link to a picture of the area:
0 Old Camargo Rd, Fayetteville TN 37334, MLS #1207287, Weichert.com

I don't think the pictures of the downtown do it justice, but you can see a picture on the town's wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fayetteville,_Tennessee

I'm sorry for the people who are losing their jobs in NY. Hopefully any who relocate to Fayetteville will be happy.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,080,581 times
Unemployment rate is 5.3 in Fayettville. Auburn, NY's is 9.3 so I don't know about the "shot in the arm." Probably won't be Auburn's "last nail in the coffin" but it won't help.

https://www.google.com/publicdata/ex...loyment%20rate

Interesting that when I pulled up the article I noticed that the temperature in Auburn, NY was 16 degrees and snowing. At the same time it is 54 in Fayettville and mostly sunny. So there is that.

Another fun fact is that Huntsville, AL is about 40 minutes away. I don't know if this area would be for me. A bit too rural. I always tell Northerners that our rural and a Southern rural two very different things. If I had kids I would really look at the schools, especially. But it seems like it might be worth checking out. You never know.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Unemployment rate is 5.3 in Fayettville. Auburn, NY's is 9.3 so I don't know about the "shot in the arm." Probably won't be Auburn's "last nail in the coffin" but it won't help.

Interesting that when I pulled up the article I noticed that the temperature in Auburn, NY was 16 degrees and snowing. At the same time it is 54 in Fayettville and mostly sunny. So there is that.

Another fun fact is that Huntsville, AL is about 40 minutes away. I don't know if this area would be for me. A bit too rural. I always tell Northerners that our rural and a Southern rural two very different things. If I had kids I would really look at the schools, especially. But it seems like it might be worth checking out. You never know.
I hadn't seen the unemployment figures...but 5.3% is not only good for anywhere in general, but pretty superb for small town/county Tennessee.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:20 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,704,247 times
It looks like the schools are fine- mostly 7, 8, and 9 scores on greatschools.
They also have this interesting school just for 9th graders as a transition to high school. They meet with an advisor daily and the goal is to put each child on track to their best success.
Ninth Grade Academy: About The School

With a couple of small colleges in the area, and Huntsville close by, there should also be some opportunities for enrichment. Huntsville has one of the highest concentration of engineers in the country.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:13 PM

Fayetteville's proximity to Huntsville is a big plus and I think that might have been something that was thought of. So, it may be a community to keep an eye on in the future.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Fayetteville's proximity to Huntsville is a big plus and I think that might have been something that was thought of. So, it may be a community to keep an eye on in the future.
Keep an eye on it...but don't worry too much about it. I don't see it changing a whole lot in the next couple of decades.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:27 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,080,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I hadn't seen the unemployment figures...but 5.3% is not only good for anywhere in general, but pretty superb for small town/county Tennessee.
My immediate thought was this is because of their proximity to Huntsville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee