Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 06:24 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times

Advertisements

Thanks EVA.

TGA Site for the official info: Tennessee General Assembly » Legislation

Link to Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey's FB page. He is posting periodic updates. https://www.facebook.com/teamronramsey?fref=ts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 09:52 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Honestly I can't wait till the whole country is less conservative when it comes to social issues.
We're no longer the dominately christian white picket fence goody goody country we used to be.
Why have laws that only half the country believes in?

Liquor isn't sold on sundays in some places because of religious beliefs. We now sell alcohol on sundays in Colorado and I can't wait till it is the same everywhere. No I am not a drunkie alcohlic but I would like to see these old laws founded on old beliefs go right out the window.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:01 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
We're no longer the dominately christian white picket fence goody goody country we used to be.
Since you went there:

More then 3/4 of the US still identifies as Christian.

Christianity Remains Dominant Religion in the United States

"Christian" does not equal "white picket fence goody goody." I'm sure you would not enjoy an ill-informed, incendiary description of atheists posted here. Remember the stuff about tolerance going both ways we told you in your other thread about moving here?

Wine in grocery stores will go to a referendum, so each area can vote the way it wants. Then the more conservative counties can opt out if they want. Legislators know that this is not an issue that will turn most voters against them, but they also know that there are enough differences between the different municipalities that what works for one may not work for the other.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:43 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...text|FRONTPAGE

Another step closer.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:15 AM

152 posts, read 295,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Honestly I can't wait till the whole country is less conservative when it comes to social issues.
Right. Because Christianity is the only religion that has conservative beliefs and traditions. Regardless of whether or not we're a "dominantly christian" nation anymore, we are still a dominantly religious nation and I think making such ridiculous statements that essentially "whitewash" the diversity within our nation's religious community is a BIG mistake.

Not only that, but restricting alcohol during the 1920s was considered a progressive attitude! Conservatives were the ones who were charged with wanting to keep the alcohol flowing! It's funny how our perceptions of what is "conservative" or not change over the years, but the point is that you need to be careful when you make broad claims about whether or not being "less conservative" is better. History has told us that there are times when progressive stuff is really great and super awesome, but also there have been times when progressive stuff has created HUGE cultural backlashes which have ended in tragedy, bloodshed and mass outbreaks of criminal activity.

Also, to further counter your "Why have laws that only half the country believes in?" question I suppose it would be for the sake of preventing minorities from being overrun? Remember back, say, less than 100 years ago when the majority of Americans thought racial discrimination was fine so long as white people were in charge? It sure would have been nice for some of my ancestors if that less than "half of the country" was making the calls back then. Majority opinion, like progressiveness, does not ALWAYS mean correct or better.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:50 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Since you went there:

More then 3/4 of the US still identifies as Christian.

Christianity Remains Dominant Religion in the United States

"Christian" does not equal "white picket fence goody goody." I'm sure you would not enjoy an ill-informed, incendiary description of atheists posted here. Remember the stuff about tolerance going both ways we told you in your other thread about moving here?

Wine in grocery stores will go to a referendum, so each area can vote the way it wants. Then the more conservative counties can opt out if they want. Legislators know that this is not an issue that will turn most voters against them, but they also know that there are enough differences between the different municipalities that what works for one may not work for the other.

And how many of them go to church regularly?

My suspicion is that most of those that say they are Christian, and don't go to church, are far more inclined to get rid if these silly blue laws like no wine in grocery stores. Along with many other things.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
My suspicion ...
Based on ... ?

Old 03-08-2013, 10:58 AM

This is not about blue laws anyway, which were tossed by the wayside here years ago. This has much more to do with a very powerful liquor lobby that for decades has convinced legislators to allow a monopoly to exist in our state.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:11 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
This is not about blue laws anyway, which were tossed by the wayside here years ago. This has much more to do with a very powerful liquor lobby that for decades has convinced legislators to allow a monopoly to exist in our state.
The sad thing, reading some of the articles, is that it seems that the liquor store owners are willing to go down in the flames of defeat rather than attempt any compromise at all. They need to adapt their business model to the changing times. If they wait until the laws are passed (and whether it is now or sometime in the future -- it will pass), then it will be too late, and many will lose their businesses and their livelihoods.

They should ask for:
-the ability to sell non-alcoholic products, such as corkscrews, glassware, and mixers.
-sell all lines of beer (including lower alcohol varieties).
-identical sales hours (including Sundays) for any comparable product sold in a grocery store (either allow them to sell beer/wine on Sundays, or throw out the Sunday ban altogether...which I think would be a better idea).
-allow them to purchase beer or wine that is not available by a distributer in Tennessee.
-allow owners to have more than one location.

If they do those things, they can not only survive, but possibly thrive. Grocery/convenience stores will arguably eat away at the common stock items of alcohol and beer...but liquor stores should be able to market themselves as specialty retailers that offer a much more extensive selection to the more discriminating consumer.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:46 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Which is why you can only buy beer on Sunday morning when there is a titans game, right?

Blue laws are very prevalent here still. The liquor lobby is losing to the grocery lobby, who has more money in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee