Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 08:35 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertate View Post
Well, Shelby County has 3 on the list and Davidson County has 2. A large portion of the Memphis Metro area is not in the state of Tennessee, so it is not really fair to say the Nashville metro has triple the number of good schools as the Memphis metro. I am sure the Nashville metro has more good public schools than the Memphis metro, but the disparity is not as bad as you are trying to convey. I would think that some of the best schools in MS are in the northern part of the state that are a part of the Memphis metro. There are also some good schools in eastern Arkansas.
The fact that the metro goes over state lines is a good point. I pulled up MS, and it only has 4 nationally ranked schools, none of which are in the Memphis suburbs.
There is one in the Jackson, MS area, two in Hattiesburg, and one on the coast.

Search Mississippi High Schools | US News

Arkansas does really well with 34 nationally ranked schools. The majority of those are in the Northwest part of the state (I would love to know how much money and support WalMart gives those schools. I would guess a lot as good schools in the area would help them attract good employees to move there.)
It looks like the closest ranked school to Memphis is in Helena, which is still more than 70 miles away, but it's part of the Memphis MSA, so that would bring the Memphis metro up to 4.

Search Arkansas High Schools | US News

Last edited by brentwoodgirl; 04-25-2013 at 09:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 09:46 AM

845 posts, read 2,542,156 times
I am not sure how Desoto Central High in MS did not make the cut. Their metrics are on par with the 4 MS high schools that were nationally ranked, but they are not there for some reason.

It should also be noted that a few Tipton County High schools were nationally recognized (Brighton, Covington, Munford). Dyer County High and Gibson County High were also nationally recognized. They are slightly out of the Memphis MSA, but probably an equivalent distance to Memphis as some portions of the Nashville MSA (which is HUGE) to Nashville.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:41 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
It should also be noted that a few Tipton County High schools were nationally recognized (Brighton, Covington, Munford). Dyer County High and Gibson County High were also nationally recognized. They are slightly out of the Memphis MSA, but probably an equivalent distance to Memphis as some portions of the Nashville MSA (which is HUGE) to Nashville.
That is an incorrect assumption. The most remote of the ranked high schools in Nashville's MSA is Thompson's Station which is 31 miles from downtown Nashville. Dyersburg is 77 miles from Memphis, and Gibson County HS is 117 miles from Memphis.

Besides, there were other high schools in Nashville's MSA that were nationally recognized, too, but just didn't make it into the top 10%: Dickson County, Lebanon, Oakland, Smyrna, and White House Heritage. Of those, the most remote is Dickson County which is 45 miles from downtown Nashville.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 04-25-2013 at 04:57 PM..

Old 04-25-2013, 04:20 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
They are slightly out of the Memphis MSA, but probably an equivalent distance to Memphis as some portions of the Nashville MSA (which is HUGE) to Nashville.
Memphis's MSA is 79% of the size of the Nashville MSA.

To put it into geometric terms, if each were a perfect square, Memphis would be 70.6 miles by 70.6 miles, and Nashville would be 79.4 miles by 79.4 miles. Counties in Memphis's metro are a bit larger on average (553.8 sq mi) than Nashville's (450.2 sq mi)...I feel like sometimes Memphians assume that Nashville's greater number of counties means the metro is much more massive. That's not entirely true. Both are rather large.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:42 PM

263 posts, read 614,151 times
Memphis' metro area is much more concentrated in Shelby County than Nashville's is in Davidson County. I don't have the stats on hand, but if I remember correctly, somewhere around 1/2 of the Memphis MSA's population resides in Shelby County. Somewhere around 1/3 of the Nashville MSA's population resides in Davidson County.

Doesn't really matter, though. I'm not sure why people on this board are obsessed with being down on Memphis. Nashville has lots of great things and lots of advantages. Let Shelby County (rightfully) be happy with leading the state in the number of top schools on this list. I mean, really. Does it hurt your feelings that much?

Old 04-25-2013, 08:51 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_commuter View Post
Memphis' metro area is much more concentrated in Shelby County than Nashville's is in Davidson County. I don't have the stats on hand, but if I remember correctly, somewhere around 1/2 of the Memphis MSA's population resides in Shelby County. Somewhere around 1/3 of the Nashville MSA's population resides in Davidson County.
This isn't the right thread for it...but those stats are misleading as well. Memphis is more dense, I won't argue that. But using Shelby vs. Davidson is kind of silly, because Davidson County is about 260 square miles smaller in size. Davidson actually passed Shelby in population density...but again, that doesn't really tell the whole story because both counties have huge sections that are completely undeveloped rural land.

If you want to discuss it further, I'll gladly contribute to the conversation...in another thread.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_commuter View Post

Doesn't really matter, though. I'm not sure why people on this board are obsessed with being down on Memphis. Nashville has lots of great things and lots of advantages. Let Shelby County (rightfully) be happy with leading the state in the number of top schools on this list. I mean, really. Does it hurt your feelings that much?
Shelby County did not lead the state. The leading county is Williamson. Five of the 8 high schools in Williamson County made the list.

Knox County also has 3. And Knox has half the population of Shelby County. Knoxville also has 2 more in its suburbs, Memphis does not.

Hopefully when all the school district mess gets worked out in Memphis it will help create more good school choices for the area.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:36 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,118 times
Also it's my impression that Memphis and Shelby Co have not yet officially merged so really Shelby county had 2 schools on the list and Memphis City schools had 1. It would be unfair to lump them together in my opinion.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:03 AM

One thing getting lost in this discussion is how well East Tennessee did.

East Tennessee has the most schools and most school districts represented.

East TN- 11 schools, 7 school districts

Middle- 9 schools, 4 school districts

West- 3 schools, 2 school districts

Old 04-26-2013, 08:46 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
One thing getting lost in this discussion is how well East Tennessee did.

East Tennessee has the most schools and most school districts represented.

East TN- 11 schools, 7 school districts

Middle- 9 schools, 4 school districts

West- 3 schools, 2 school districts
It looks like maybe you're putting Cookeville in East Tennessee instead of Middle Tennessee. There are actually 10 schools/7 districts in East Tennessee and 10 schools/5 districts in Middle Tennessee.

I'm glad you brought this up, though, because I think it's interesting to see that in all of West Tennessee there are no ranked schools outside of Shelby County, whereas Middle and East Tennessee each has a non-metropolitan district represented: Greeneville city schools (East) and Putnam County schools (Middle). It's also interesting to see that, for all the grief we often give to Morristown, it's impressive that they have a top-10% high school.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 04-26-2013 at 08:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee