Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2013, 10:38 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,256 times

Advertisements

I recently discovered a Civil War connection to my family, which lived in Stewart County at the time. I don't know much about them except what little I can garner from the Internet, since I live a good distance from Tennessee. However, as a Civil War buff, I'm excited to learn more about the possibility of my ancestor serving in the war.

My question is this: Do any local groups or places (like the library) have good historic records? Documents, microfilm, that sort of thing. And second, how friendly are the people down there? I plan on doing some exploring (a cemetery is named after my ancestors, I want to find out why, and a historic town with no real record seems to have been named after them, too) and might need to approach locals for help.

And I guess most importantly, how much has Stewart County changed? I know absolutely nothing about it. Is it an urban area? Rural? Am I wasting my time taking a trip down to connect with my past?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 12:02 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
It is a rural area, and its full of history from the war. Im sure you know that Fort Donelson national battlefield is in that area, and fort Henry. If your interested in history the area itself is worth the trip, so if you have a local connection It gives you more incentive to visit. I dont live in that part of the state so I dont know that much about the local area, but I am sure if you contact the national park at Donelson they can direct you to the best local resources. Good luck

Old 04-29-2013, 05:46 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Stewart County does have some fascinating historic sites. But genealogy research has changed a LOT in the past decade. Just join Ancestry.com. They have millions of historic records online, including census, military, land grant, cemeteries, etc. I have been a member for 3 years now and have traced my family tree back to the Middle Ages.

Also, there are other websites where volunteers have documented and photographed cemeteries. Start with FindAGrave.com and look at other GenWeb sites.

I would not travel here unless you have well-supported family trees and maps of old homeplaces. There is no need to try to go to the courthouse, archives or library to look at microfilm when those documents are already online at Ancestry.com. And without a plan, you'll just be driving around Stewart County wondering where everyone lived.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:13 AM

Thanks, I've already used the Internet as much as I can. I can find only one record of his service and it gives me nothing but his unit. Usually there are local resources that haven't been digitized yet, especially in rural areas, and these are what I'm hoping to find.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:14 AM

Plus, as a historian, there's something extremely satisfying about making the trip and seeing things in person.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:37 AM

In that case, the Stewart Cty Historical society is the place to inquire.
I understand the opposition to Internet searching. It has helped me save time and gas, though, by letting me do some "weeding out" ahead of time.

Since you know your relative's unit, you can trace that unit's action online and find out where he actually served. Though units were mustered by county, he may nit have served at Ft. Henry or Ft. Donelson and saw a LOT of action. It is worth the trip regardless. Nearby Paris Landing State Park is lovely and has an amazing buffet.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 AM

In that case, the Stewart Cty Historical society is the place to inquire. I think the courthouse burned during the war .
I understand the opposition to Internet searching. It has helped me save time and gas, though, by letting me do some "weeding out" ahead of time.

Since you know your relative's unit, you can trace that unit's action online and find out where he actually served. Though units were mustered by county, he may not have served at Ft. Henry or Ft. Donelson. Its not all rural but more small town and saw a LOT of action. It is worth the trip regardless. Nearby Paris Landing State Park is lovely and has an amazing buffet.

Ft. Donelson has an excellent museum also. The state keeps some archive info and records online at www.tn.gov/tsla/history/county/factstewart.htm

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 04-29-2013 at 08:56 AM..

Old 04-29-2013, 11:11 AM

That link is exactly what I was looking for regarding microfilm, thanks!

Old 04-29-2013, 03:54 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,805,731 times
If you haven't already come across it in your online research, TNGenWeb is an outstanding resource:
Stewart County, Tennessee Genealogy
Stewart County Tennessee Genealogy Research Databases
Stewart County, Tennessee Archives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee