Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2006, 05:33 PM

64 posts, read 288,986 times

Advertisements

Memphis or East Tenn? I have some questions that I hope many people can help me with. First of all, I am a teacher from Ind. and I am looking for teaching jobs. I see that Memphis needs teachers. Does anyone have the 411 on the schools there? What about the area? High crime? Safety? Does it ever flood there? Then I thought about eastern Tenn. (Oak Ridge)? Now I read that that area has many gangs.? But I was told that that is a good school system. Tryin' to decide if I should settle here or in NC. Please help if you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2006, 10:15 PM

408 posts, read 1,977,351 times
Despite what you may have read on other posts, East TN does not have a lot of gang activity. Granted there is some gang activity, but you are not really all that likely to notice it.
Overall, Memphis has a negative reputation. I have read some posts on these boards about some good areas out there. But in general, it has a bad rep. Mostly the reputation comes from those who are not as familiar with that side of the state and only hear about it on the news. If you haven't already, you should skim the Memphis board too to see what they have to say.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:15 PM

8 posts, read 31,452 times
I am a teacher just north of Memphis. I lived in Memphis for years. Do NOT get a job teaching there. Please trust me on this. Go towards Tennessee River or eastward. Pay will not be as good as Memphis, but you will keep your sanity.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:43 PM

Thanks sooo much for your input! I will forget about the Memphis area and look to the far east. Thanks!

Old 10-13-2006, 05:18 AM

661 posts, read 2,895,607 times
I'm not sure where all the gangs around here are, but I haven't come across any problems anywhere around Oak Ridge/Clinton, or Knoxville. Presumably, they're not shopping in Kroger or Belk's so I guess I wouldn't run into them there, but the dogs and I do lots of walking and driving around in these areas and darned if I just can't seem to find these gangs.

I think I'd know them if I saw them - we saw lots in Reading PA and Hartford CT. Maybe southern gangs are look different. I mean, if they're disguised as Mommies with kids, or middle-aged professionals then we're in deep trouble. In that case, they're everywhere.

No doubt there are gangs and wannabes in East Tennessee. Somewhere. I don't think it's a huge issue around here.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:16 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
No doubt there are gangs and wannabes in East Tennessee. Somewhere. I don't think it's a huge issue around here.
I think I saw gang activity this past weekend. They were all pre-teen girls wearing their orange gang colors and they were loitering in my hotel lobby in clusters, swigging their Pepsis and talking pre-teen girl-speak. I think they were the heinous Girls Soccer Team Gang. I know I was scared as soon as I saw all the SUVs lined up in the parking lot and their weapons of mass consumption (coolers) being unloaded.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:46 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
LOL!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!
You caught us Tennesseans there LauraC, We thought those disguises would work and you wouldn't see them for the horrible gang they are, selling all that team spirit drugs like they do all over town.

Old 10-14-2006, 05:06 PM

Default Ok No Gangs...

I like the responses here. I just asked and it seems like the person who reported a thread on gangs in this area was mislead . Anyways, I have read many threads on the Oak Ridge area and I am excited about it. I would like to live there or beyond, more east. I have a lot of searching to do to see how I can get a teaching license there and what schools would be hiring there next year. I have really enjoyed the pictures and the comments on this area. After checking in on NC homes, their prices, and taxes, I am leaning towards Tenn .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee