Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2006, 09:18 AM

20 posts, read 151,728 times

Advertisements

The wife and I are checking out places to retire. Our focus at this point is to check out the area and get a feel for what's available. Will be driving down to spend 4-5 days later next week just driving thru eastern TN and Western NC. We are looking for small towns that have nice shopping main streets, decent restaurants, yet close to medical facilities and not too far from cultural centers like Asheville. Also need decent sized mall within 30 minutes or so. So far our short list of towns to visit includes Elizabethton, Greeneville, Jonesborough, and Rogersville. Any other towns that we should include on our list.
Also, not sure were we will be staying yet. Prefer quaint, small inns or B&B's. Any recommendations?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2006, 11:20 AM

408 posts, read 1,973,773 times
Not sure if you want to come out further than Elizabethton, but there are several B&Bs on Hwy 67 toward Mountain City.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:40 AM

243 posts, read 885,584 times
Look into Oak Ridge. Nice town, modern, I understand the Hospital is great, intelligent people, mall,theatre yet a small town of about 57,000. It is a strong consideration for us. Real Estate is cheap compared to where we live in Albuquerque.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 10,863 times
Maryville, Tennessee, is very popular for retirees. Great hospital network, very close to the Smoky Mountains, 30 minutes from Knoxville, where there's lots of great shopping of the locally owned AND major brand stores variety. Plus, Maryville's downtown is really growing with bars, restaurants and condos. And the cultural activies in downtown Knoxville--like touring Broadway plays, great nationally known musicians at the Tennessee and Bijou theaters, and cool eateries with unique cuisine--is just 25-30 minutes away. It's the best of both worlds.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:54 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,264,890 times
I think you are looking in the right places. There are many B&B's in the Jonesborough area. I will send you a PM with a link for many B&B's in the area.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,222 times
Default moving to TN

I highly recommend Maryville. Close, easy commute to Knoxville for when you need city-type things. Maryville has excellent medical facilities and some great restaurants -- ask around on that one. Maryville is the only small town with the type of growth that would be attractive to someone from out-of-state. Enjoy your move!

Old 10-14-2006, 02:12 PM

37,760 posts, read 40,861,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klosk View Post
Look into Oak Ridge. Nice town, modern, I understand the Hospital is great, intelligent people, mall,theatre yet a small town of about 57,000. It is a strong consideration for us. Real Estate is cheap compared to where we live in Albuquerque.
Oak Ridge only has between 27,000 and 28,000 people and the mall (supposedly under development) is nothing right now. Also there is no downtown area. There are a slew of stores but they are all spread out. If you are used to going to another town to shop at a mall or visit a "downtown" area then you might like it. If you are coming from a big city, and are used to a downtown area, I don't think you would like it. I think everything is in Oak Ridge you need, it's just not centralized. You could not live there without a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee