Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 06:15 PM

950 posts, read 3,191,239 times

Advertisements

Tennessee is trying to convince Italy-based Fiat to move its future joint Fiat-Chrysler corporate headquarters (possibly a continental headquarters, just like Nissan USA) to Tennessee from the Detroit area. Auburn Hills and Jackson County in Michigan are working so hard to keep the newly-jointly company from moving south and elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 06:25 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,764 times
I'd be surprised if they moved it down here. Pleasant surprise, though.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:48 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
I personally think the Fiat/Chrysler thing is a pipe dream. I wouldn't doubt that the CEO is fishing for an incentive package, though, whether they stay or go.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:56 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
[quote=Emigrations;30335960

I would like to see state and local leadership invest heavily in STEM education and business incubators. We need our parents and politicians to encourage education in order to attract viable employers in today's economy. Sadly, there is little reason to invest money right now in education in Tennessee, and in the Tri-Cities in particular, because there are few employers in our state and area where higher education is required or even useful. I would like to see business grow in the area organically rather than spending tens of millions to attract a big box retailer that will abandon the area after the kickbacks run out.

[/quote]

You have the process backwards. The level of post secondary education must rise first in order to even get the attention of better employers, paying better wages. Education will not follow employers coming in with better jobs.

Its hardly a coincidence the corp hqs are clustered in Brentwood-Franklin-Nashville proper given the quantity of super universities in Nashville.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:10 PM

909 posts, read 1,062,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
We have shelled about $50 million in taxpayer funds in Bristol for a Bass Pro Shop and a Cabela's, which will generate mostly minimum wage level jobs. I believe Kingsport spent about $13 million on a YMCA/aquatic center. Our local leaders are completely incompetent.

I would like to see the area get more attention and positive direction from state leadership, as local leadership has proven woefully inadequate.
Why both a Bass Pro and a Cabela's for a town that size? They are virtually the same thing. Might as well add a Gander Mountain and get the trifecta. And why not throw in an Academy Sports & Outdoors, too.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:33 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVofM View Post
Why both a Bass Pro and a Cabela's for a town that size? They are virtually the same thing. Might as well add a Gander Mountain and get the trifecta. And why not throw in an Academy Sports & Outdoors, too.
It is completely excessive. I can see the area supporting one of these stores, but not two.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:19 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,764 times
I think both may be viable there due to the interstate traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee