Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 09:22 AM

22 posts, read 59,891 times

Advertisements

Immigration IS out of Line down here in Florida and that's why so many Florida people are looking to go North. Case in point...our local town(Ft Myers area) just had a Sheriff crackdown 2 weekends ago....9 Marijuana Grow Houses busted, 85 people arrested...70 DEPORTED! Its getting rediculous! We need to tighten up our borders people. Is Tennessee any better? We want outta here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
WASHINGTON, Nov. 8 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- A new report by the
Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), confirms that mass
illegal immigration is no longer isolated to a few states or regions of the
country, but has become a nationwide phenomenon. According to the FAIR's
latest state impact study, Tennesseans now spend $285 million a year for
illegal alien K-12 education, health care, and incarceration of criminal
illegal aliens.

Illegal Immigration Now Costs Tennesseans More Than $285 Million a Year, Finds FAIR Study
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 09:22 AM

17 posts, read 49,573 times
yeah sad that so many illegal aliens are coming here and lots of co. are enabling them to stay,they r taking all the construction jobs i know that for a fact.also alot of foriegners form poland,russia coming here taking jobs to and employers get $$ for letting them work here,GO U.S.A

Old 11-11-2007, 09:23 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
I think that we are reading more into this article than what it says. Many are coming to the conclusion that this is a crime committed by illegal aliens. Actually, only 3 of the 7 people named in the article had Hispanic last names. It is so easy to generalize and make broad conclusions when there is little basis for it.

Most Hispanics, legal and illegal, are at the lower end of the economic spectrum; they tend to live in the poorer areas of cities and towns. These core areas have been shown to breed crime.

It is true that entering the country illegally is a crime in itself. This is the criminal act that we should focus on, not that the crime rate has increased as a result of illegal aliens. There is nothing in the article to support that.

The fact that illegal aliens cost taxpayers money on schools, healthcare, and prison expenses for illegal criminals, also, does not imply that the tax burden on TN or any other state is the result of "increased crime by illegals". Just that we should not be paying for these expenses on jails, schooling, and health-care for non-citizens.

Here in Gainesville, GA 53% of the city population is Hispanic. Most of them have entered the US legally and are hard-working, appreciative additions to our town society. But, 53% of the crime in Gainesville is not perpatrated by Hispanics or illegals.

Most of the immigrants who live in the small, dilapidated homes in town live under poor conditions because a large portion of the honest wage that they make is used to support family members who are still in their home country. These people miss their home countries, but care so much about the health and welfare of their children and loved ones that they live apart from them to support them. Particularly in Mexico and Central America, these people live under harsh, corrupt governments if not on a national level, then on a local level. They are striving for the rights every human on earth deserves and the ones that most of our ancestors immigrated to America to acquire.

I have taught the children of many of these immigrants, and I assure you that each and every child and their parents are so grateful that their child is gaining a chance for a decent life. These are people who are here legally!! They deserve every service they receive. But, unfortunately they walk down the street and are instantly given looks of disapproval as though they have done something wrong. We CANNOT lump every Hispanic person into the big bucket of illegals. How do you know who is and who isn't? Who are we to judge a person's character, motives, and status?

There are many, many illegals entering the US everyday. They should not receive the benefits of our healthcare, food stamps, and schools. But, do not assume that they are all illegal or that they are the cause of all of the country's woes. The Hispanic citizens often become our most vulnerable victims.

I'm sorry for all of you who have suffered criminal assaults on your property or person by a criminal of any ethnic background, but country of origin has nothing to do with the crime.
Bravo, gem, I wish the people over on the immigration subforum had your common sense...

Old 11-11-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
The second, and most important point, is that there is so much dislike for anyone who speaks Spanish in this country and many if not most of these Hispanic people are law-abiding, honest American citizens.
I agree. Sometimes, the intense hatred grows to utterly ridiculous levels. I have had people accost me and deny me services because they hear me speaking Spanish to my friends. None of you have ever saw my picture, but I am the epitome of an Anglo mixed with an eastern European. From a certain point of view, it's quite humorous, but also very sad that we have so many narrow-minded people living here.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:34 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
Default There should be very strick laws governing illegals, but not a nationality.

Thanks for the vote of support, jabogitlu. I am afraid of even looking at the immigration subforum.

And, to all others, I am not saying that illegals should be working in the US. In fact, it is against the law to have an illegal on your payroll. So, American employers run the risk of heavy fines if caught hiring illegals.

I am not defending illegals in any way, shape or form. I do stand up and take offense to discriminating against Hispanics who are citizens or in the process of citizenship and are here legally. Where did your grandparents come from? Could they find a job once given citizenship? Mine suffered greatly because of their Irish and German names. Don't do the same to another class of LEGAL citizens of the US.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I agree. Sometimes, the intense hatred grows to utterly ridiculous levels. I have had people accost me and deny me services because they hear me speaking Spanish to my friends. None of you have ever saw my picture, but I am the epitome of an Anglo mixed with an eastern European. From a certain point of view, it's quite humorous, but also very sad that we have so many narrow-minded people living here.
I understand completely. I have been out with friends who are obviously of Hispanic ancestry and the looks and total sense of being ignored is overwhelming to me so many times. I, on the other hand, being blonde, blue eyed and fair skin, will be the person that sales persons will talk to as though my friends do not understand English!!

Some will never have their eyes opened until they are the ones in the minority and look different to those around them.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:12 AM

22 posts, read 59,891 times
Default I think you're miscinstruing the idea....

Is this the case in Tennessee?

I know here in Florida there's a growing discontent about illegals but people here know the difference sometimes.
I can certainly sympathize with the illegal that was taken for $6000 to $10,000 to come here by a person who guaranteed them freedom and prosperity here, but what they fail to advertise is that the man they paid to get a "supposed" green card was from their own country of Mexico in most cases! Not someone here advising them! If they would just talk to the officials rather than someone who asks for money, they wouldn't have that problem!
I know many there are poor but who's saying that life here is better? Their own people! And those people are the ones who are charging to place them here in the US, but they aren't following procedures to do it the right way.

And that's why so many of our legal citizens are in arms about losing their jobs to an illegal for half the price, having to allow them to get medical care, and keep giving to them when they don't even pay taxes! Who's prosecuting the people who are making them pay to get into the US? Who's fining the businesses who allow them to work illegally? Can you name anyone? They don't advertise it here because someone is paying someone else to shut up....
and an honest legal citizen can't get a decent job unless you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth...at least here in Florida anyway. You have to start your own business like we had to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post

Old 11-11-2007, 02:55 PM

323 posts, read 741,858 times
I am probably the last to judge based on color, religon etc. Many of my friends are here straight from Turkey, Mexico, Ireland. A lot of places. I enjoy the food, cultures etc. I even learned of Ramadon from my Turkish friend I will call him because I won't use his name on a public forum without his permission.

But on the other hand I do have to stop and think. IDK if this has happened to anyone else on the forum but it has happened to several of my lady friends and their daughters. One speaks fluent Spanish. I have been in Cookeville later at night (9 pm-ish, maybe a bit later)to do some last minute shopping with my daughter. We had to drop my hubby off at work. We don't live in Putnam so I stop there when I am in Cookeville. Groups of Male Spanish speaking people follow us around Walmart making comments and gestures toward my daughter. Blatent disrespect body language wise. Leers etc. That is understood in ANY language. It happened once more with my husband there! He put a beat in their feet. We did complain to Walmart security. And they have had several complaints before. They said they can not do anything about it unless they do a physical act. Isn't there stalking laws?

Anyway, my friend that speaks Spanish said. My thoughts about what they are saying are correct. She spins around and puts it right back at them. I am learning Spanish so I KNOW what they are saying for sure. We no longer go to wally World in the later evenings. Which is a shame you have to be so careful in low crime area like most of middle TN has been. I can't vouch for other areas. I live here.

It is the bad illegals that ruin it for the legals and illegals that come here for freedom, a better way of life etc. But if everyone from every country came here as a free for all even with good intentions. Our way of life and our economy are going to suffer(and it is already). Too many people and not enough jobs. Then we would have it no better than they had it where ever they came from. No matter what country they hail from. Just my opinion.

And if you ask most legal immigrants. They are just as mad about the illegals as we are.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:04 PM

Unhappy Your anger should be with the laws, not legal immigrants.

Hispanics who have become legal citizens of the US are angry about the illegals getting into the country for any reason. And, they have every right to be angry.

It took my daughter-in-law, who was born in Mexico City, 2 years of application and waiting to be able to immigrate to the US to study law at the University of Texas. She was accepted that quickly because she was a straight A student all through school and seen as a desirable. Her parents had to wait at least 10 - 12 years later before they were granted citizenship. They are very hard-working, honest people who came here legitimately. They are angry that others pay a broker or just walk across the border on their own when they perservered for so long to gain entry legally.

Now, whenever I am out with my little grandson, who is half Latino, half Anglo, I carry his passport with me in case I have to prove that he is legal. This is more of an issue in the Atlanta and Florida area, I'm sure, than it is in Tennessee - but a growing problem nationwide.

No, illegals should not be allowed here. Employers in the US who give them jobs knowing that they don't have green cards should be punished without fail.

But, no one of any nationality or race or religion should have to fall under the eyes of scrutiny because of where their skin color, language or faith. People tend to assume the negative and attack a group of individuals verbally, physically or just in their own minds without knowing anything about them. Many are assuming that if you are Hispanic looking or as jabogitlu noted, just speaking Spanish, you must be an illegal alien or that you have robbed someone of a livelyhood by your presence.

If you feel that too many immigrants are allowed into the country, take it up with your legislators, not the innocent immigrants who have nothing to do with quotas.

How many of you feel anger and resentment toward the thousands of Canadians who become US citiizens every year or just work here (as in Detroit and Buffalo) by day and go home with their US paycheck to Windsor and Niagra Falls at night? You don't even know who they are and you don't hate them because of their immigration. Why Spanish speaking people? Do you think that all Canadians in this country are law abiding people? Do you think that they can contribute more to this country than a Mexican? Do you assume that they are ALL legally here? Well, you may be very wrong.

If you cannot accept immigrants into our society, then accept no immigrants from every country: Great Britain, France, Italy, Germany, Japan, South Africa, Turkey, Lebanon, et al. How many people must we resent to show how proud we are to be a Christain nation, good US citizens?

(And, BTW, Starwalker, I am sorry to say that among many Latin countries it is not considered disrespectful for young men to show their admiration for a single female. To us it is humiliating, but it is very acceptable in many countries. Have you ever had your bottom pinched in Italy or France? It is embarassing - take it from one who knows! I would stop, stand my ground, and tell the young men that they are being disrespectful and that behavior is unacceptable. Yes, they will understand you. It may not change their behavior, But you sure will feel better!)

Old 11-11-2007, 06:16 PM

Weird, I've encountered some people here who approach this issue rationally! I don't necessarily agree with the immigration laws as they stand, but for right now that's what they are - our LAWS. So yeah, I agree that illegal immigrants are just that, illegal, and need to be deported. That's not always an easy decision, especially when families are involved, but...

Laws are laws.

What I'm concerned about is what gem already outlined. So many people have their knickers twisted an extra time just because these people are darker skinned than most of us are. For some, it's even unknowing prejudice. And I'm not speaking directly to anyone here, necessarily... It's just an overwhelming concern when I hear people talking about "that jabber," "mater pickers" etc. etc. It's important to remember that these are real people with real problems just like us.

On my end, it's that Washington has become so broken, they can't satisfactorily address this issue at all. It's insane to propose that we can't have illegals here, but at the same time, we have to have them. That just doesn't work. It's unfair to punish employers and employees for things that have to happen. (Sometimes.)

All of this is, as we say, "a mi me parece"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee