Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 08:03 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times

Advertisements

I scare and startle easily - has to do with not hearing. It's another reason I really like having the dog around. So far, there's been no interest in this girl and I'm trying to convince hubby this is the foster we need to adopt. I'm actually looking for someone who trains beagles as hunting dogs - I think she may have been used in hunting before her broken leg. If I can figure out what she's alread been trained to do, I can morph that training into being a hearing ear dog.

If I pay attention to her body language, she lets me know there's all kinds of critters - she loves the frogs, ignores the spider in the funnel, and she started after the snake. For weeks, I watched her locating the mole throughout its tunnel when we went for walks, digging up first this section then racing to another section. I don't walk in areas of the lawn that have cover without her so I think I'm safe from the ropes and nakeds - not sure about my safety from the skunks as I'm sure she'd like to play with it. We have got to find her a playmate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 11:39 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I scare and startle easily - has to do with not hearing. It's another reason I really like having the dog around. So far, there's been no interest in this girl and I'm trying to convince hubby this is the foster we need to adopt. I'm actually looking for someone who trains beagles as hunting dogs - I think she may have been used in hunting before her broken leg. If I can figure out what she's alread been trained to do, I can morph that training into being a hearing ear dog.

If I pay attention to her body language, she lets me know there's all kinds of critters - she loves the frogs, ignores the spider in the funnel, and she started after the snake. For weeks, I watched her locating the mole throughout its tunnel when we went for walks, digging up first this section then racing to another section. I don't walk in areas of the lawn that have cover without her so I think I'm safe from the ropes and nakeds - not sure about my safety from the skunks as I'm sure she'd like to play with it. We have got to find her a playmate.
When we had beagles (long long ago) they were trained as rabbit and squirrel dogs. Their natural instinct is to smell and track so they would "jump" the rabbits and "point" or run squirrels up a tree and bark.

As far a skunks they wont bother you unless rabid. If she likes to "play" with them she will save you from being sprayed. Of course you will have to put up with her stench. My dogs seem to love the smell.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:59 PM

Thanks, 2mares - she has definitely been tracking critters. If she weren't on a strong lead, she'd be off. She only barks when she can't chase. I try to let her at least race across the field but we don't let her off-lead ever. The one skunk we have seen hasn't been an issue, except for keeping just inside the wood line to taunt the dog. She whines and cries.

Something is really whacked out - I don't know what happened to make this sentence: "I think I'm safe from the ropes and nakeds" and now I have no clue what I meant to type. I'm not using any of those auto-corrects, either.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:43 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
I think you meant to say you were safe from ropes and snakes (in boats) because of the conversation between Bones and 2mares. I have words sometimes sneak up on me like that, enough that my kids don't bat an eye when I do it, they just calmly ask if I meant such and such a word instead. Makes for some interesting conversations at work on occassion though.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:47 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Something is really whacked out - I don't know what happened to make this sentence: "I think I'm safe from the ropes and nakeds" and now I have no clue what I meant to type. I'm not using any of those auto-corrects, either.
LOL. I think you meant snakes.....Naked......Naked snakes. Sometimes the mind does wonder.
We knew what you meant, maybe not what you were actually thinking about.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:35 PM

Because of my hearing, which doesn't affect my vision usually, the things I hear often are mistranslated with where my brain is residing at the moment. I'm old but not too old and what I hear is usually far more fun and interesting than what was said. It makes for lotsa laughs anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee