Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 07:13 AM

362 posts, read 645,348 times

Advertisements

Hello, fellow posters.
I have been reading these forums for Florida, Texas, and Tennessee for some time now trying to gather as much information as possible. Thank you to all poster for sharing your thoughts and information.

My house will be going on the market this January. Originally I thought we would relocate to Florida in a 55 community but my boys (19 and 23) told us they too would like to move and start fresh.

My husband is retired with a pension and I am a small business owner (very small business, almost like a hobby).

My youngest son has a lifelong illness that needs constant care and access to god medical facilities (every 8 weeks). Are there decent hospitals located relatively close to these areas?

I'm a little concerned with the extended length of Hot and humid in Florida. I presently live on Long Island NY and to tell you the truth I can't stand it here. I have been wanting to move for at least 8 years but didn't for my boys sake. So now I can go and and ready (not looking forward to packing though)

I looked into TN and there seems to be some very nice areas. I was hoping you could answer some concerns for me.

October we are going to Florida for 5 days to view properties. We are thinking we will drive to TN in January to view areas and properties. Do you think January is a good time to visit Tennessee?

I was looking at Nashville, Franklin and Brentwood. Love Brentwood but obviously I can not afford that area.
I really want a inground pool. It seems like there aren't that many homes in Franklin that have inground pools. Is that because of the expense of having one built?

Can you tell me the differences in these areas. Also can you recommend any other areas?

I'm very concerned with snakes as I have two little pugs that are the love of my life (god bless them). I read many people mentioning about their dogs running on their properties. Aren't they concerned their dogs will be bitten by snakes? If this sounds stupid, please excuse me. I am terrified of snakes. I've only seen one snake here on Long Island in 24 years living here.

Also, I noticed that most of the homes do not have basements. When a tornado alarm warning goes off, where does everyone take shelter? We recently went through storm Sandy that caused lots of destruction. We were not on the shore line but had to worry about winds. We were told to sleep in an area of the house that had some form of protection and lost power for 10 days. I really can't complain because many people lost everything they had but it was so scary. Trees were coming down all over the place.

One of the reason I am leaving NY is because I just can't stand the cold anymore and I absolutely hate shoveling. It was very bad this past year. Many people died because emergency vehicles couldn't get to them.

I really love what I have seen and read here on these forums about Tennessee. I hate Long Island. I don't like the rudeness, the competitiveness, etc... I want a peaceful life and want more than anything to meet people and form friendships. Will that be possible?

I also love that there is a vibrant yoga community. Does anyone on these forums practice yoga in any of these communities?

I did some research and saw that you have the larger Costco in these areas. I'm happy about that. Are there shopping mall strips, or independent stores???

I tried to write some yoga studios in Tennessee thinking maybe they would answer a fellow yogi but I didn't receive any answers.

What is the most important topics anyone considering moving to that region of the country should know?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 09:07 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,278,695 times
As a former Long Islander myself. I think you would like Hendersonville which is just north of Nashville. I'll send you a private message.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,569 times
I would also like to see some of the answer to these questions. Thanks

Old 08-24-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvworkcampers View Post
I would also like to see some of the answer to these questions. Thanks
Well, hopefully some people will come on and give us their honest opinions, advice and comments. One woman did private me some good info. Hopefully more will follow

Old 08-24-2013, 06:53 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
It's a little hard to answer because your questions don't seem to be very specific to one area of TN. TN is very different from one end to the other, so a lot of the answers depend on which area you are talking about.
Basements are very common here in the area of east TN where I am, almost non existent in west TN. Odd because west TN generally has more tornado warnings than east TN
Snakes, never saw a one inside city limits in over 20 years, rural areas are another story.
Humidity and dew points change from west to east and with higher elevations.
If you are more or less thinking of the area around Nashville then many of your concerns might get more specific answers on that subforum. If you are open to other areas tell us a little more about what you want or don't want.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:37 AM

Well originally I was thinking Franklin but now I'm more focused in on Hendersonville and Murfreesboro.

Was talking with the hub and thinking we might take a ride down at end of September. This way we can also get tail end of summer temps.

Thank you for your reply.
Also, do you think my sons will be able to establish relationships/friendships? My youngest one will finish his last two years of college where ever we decide to move. Not really sue what my older one will do. Probably look into the police and sheriff's department

Old 08-25-2013, 08:22 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,347,390 times
I know you are trying to narrow your search, but I wanted to point out that this year weather wise has not been normal. To me July seemed like it was August and August has seemed like it has been September weather. We do have 4 distinct seasons though. But what the weather will be on any given day is a crap shoot.
As long as your sons don't ever bash southerners or talk about how it was done back home, I'm sure they can make friends. I'm from upstate NY and have been here 7 years, I have made many good friends, have wonderful neighbors and just love living in Knoxville, Tn.
All the best to you and your family,
Pam

Old 08-25-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
I know you are trying to narrow your search, but I wanted to point out that this year weather wise has not been normal. To me July seemed like it was August and August has seemed like it has been September weather. We do have 4 distinct seasons though. But what the weather will be on any given day is a crap shoot.
As long as your sons don't ever bash southerners or talk about how it was done back home, I'm sure they can make friends. I'm from upstate NY and have been here 7 years, I have made many good friends, have wonderful neighbors and just love living in Knoxville, Tn.
All the best to you and your family,
Pam
Awwww Pam, thanks for your response. And I am proud to say I have raised very respectful and thoughtful young men.

Funny what you say about the weather. Same going on up here in NY. Last night was 57 degrees. Haven't used the pool once in August. Crazy weather.

So how often do tornado warnings go off? Just curious

Old 08-25-2013, 06:26 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,347,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi shots View Post
Awwww Pam, thanks for your response. And I am proud to say I have raised very respectful and thoughtful young men.

Funny what you say about the weather. Same going on up here in NY. Last night was 57 degrees. Haven't used the pool once in August. Crazy weather.

So how often do tornado warnings go off? Just curious
Tornado warnings are rare for East Tn. I'm not saying we haven't had some in the past few years, because we have and one even touched down last year in North Knoxville. West Tennessee is more prone to Tornado activity, but it can happen anywhere.
If your sons are respectful and thoughtful, then there shouldn't be any problems in regards to making friends.
Pam

Old 09-02-2013, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,383 times
Hi Mi shots where are u on the island?? We are in smithtown and are researching to move in spring of 2015 to tennessee also!!
We have had it with the island too ... Your post sounds like it could have been us writing! Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee