Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 05:39 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,077,321 times

Advertisements

I've wanted to share this story with the forum since I heard it on the radio this afternoon. Phil Williams, our local talk show host, became choked up when he read this story.

This area was saddened by the recent news that a young girl was killed by a school bus that ran her over in Oak Ridge.

The young girls parents graciously donated many of the her organs and now a young girl of the same age will live, thanks to the donation of her heart.

Ashley's heart gives life to 12-year-old girl from Kingston : Local News : Knoxville News Sentinel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 05:57 PM

3,961 posts, read 10,603,248 times
There are no words....that is just heartbreaking. Heartbreaking.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:04 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,102,489 times
Default What a touching, sad story. What a loving family!

Thanks for posting that story, hiknapster. This is so heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. What a loss for the one family who is turn lovingly gave so much hope to another.

For those who do not have a donor card or designation on their driver's license for organ donation, now might be a good time to consider doing it.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:31 PM

24,770 posts, read 28,387,315 times
Smile Amazing

It just makes you stop and say a prayer.....Thanks for sharing........

Old 11-15-2007, 03:06 AM

323 posts, read 740,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
For those who do not have a donor card or designation on their driver's license for organ donation, now might be a good time to consider doing it.
Truthfully, I haven't got much left by the time doctors operate on me to keep me alive.

It is heart warming and heart breaking at the same time. I have no words.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:38 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,248,745 times
So sad, so wonderful at the same time.
I hope it is ok that I share this with you all as I believe she did in the past, but we have a fellow city-data poster who had her husband organs donated when he past on. Klosk.
I personally believe the person or group of people (Dr's I assume) who found that transferring organs from one person to another to sustain life is the most important advance in history thus far. I am happily an organ donor.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:29 PM

182 posts, read 778,558 times
I've been an organ donor for over 30 yrs . . when i lived in nY .. when i moved to fla in 95, i went to the local DMV to have my license changed over ..i had to ask the girl behind the desk how i would go about being a donor. . .there was no advertising like there is in every dmv i'd ever been in , in ny,
i couldn't believe it .. .
i believe wholeheartedly in donating every organ we can . . two eyes can make TWO people see .. two ears can make TWO people hear ..
its a miracle that modern technology should advertise a lot more ..
think of the thousands of people waiting on lists . and so many dying before they ever get called .. its a shame . .
thanks for listening . .and thanks for that touching story ...

Old 11-15-2007, 06:48 PM

I had been an organ donor since I can remember. It is so important not just for saving lives, but to give a better quality of life to so many. Sadly, I am now off the list because of my own condition. But, I would encourage others who are healthy and able to donate their organs.

Some people don't realize, but the body's largest organ is the skin. There are so many thousands of burn victims, people with deformities as a result of accident or birth defects, and illnesses whose lives would be saved or improved if they just had the donation of skin grafts. This, too, is an important donation to remember.

My heart and prayers go out with all of yours to both of those families.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:40 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,077,321 times
A couple of updates:

A candlelight vigil was held last night.

The vigil was organized by Patrick and Danita Futrell, who have been at the intersection since Monday, raising money to help offset the Paine family's medical and funeral bills while calling attention to the intersection's dangers.

Vigil held in memory of OR girl : Local News : Knoxville News Sentinel

Several weeks ago, Laurie Paine went to Oak Ridge school officials and warned them about the city's busiest intersection near Robertsville Middle School.

"She was really fussing at them to do something" about the intersection of Illinois Avenue and Oak Ridge Turnpike, said Paine's mother, Judy Price.

"She said somebody was going to get killed."

Paine also asked school officials to send a school bus to their home, located within a mile of the school, Price said.

But the school board in the summer of 2006 voted to cut out bus transportation within a mile radius of all schools as a belt-tightening move.

Paine's request was denied.

On Friday, Laurie and Donnie Paine's daughter, Ashley, tumbled off her bicycle and into an access lane off Illinois Avenue leading to Oak Ridge Turnpike.

A school bus ran over her.

The 12-year-old girl, an avid soccer player with dozens of friends, died Sunday.

Outcry renewed over intersection's danger : Local News : Knoxville News Sentinel

Old 11-17-2007, 09:58 AM

Default Thanks for the update, hiknapster.

I imagine many of us have been following this very sad story about Ashlie's death.

There was no address for the funeral expense fund for her family. I tried to find one through the Knoxville News. Of course being Saturday, there is no one available to help.

The Futrell's (organizers) are unlisted in the white pages. If anyone has any information where the fund is set up and an address, I would appreciate a post or DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee