U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 07:32 PM

4 posts, read 12,277 times

Advertisements

We live here in maine. The closing on our house is in about a month. We are really contemplating moving to Tennessee. We have 4 kids. ages 2 to 13 so a good neighborhood and schools are very important. Would like some ideas. We are very open to any suggestions about the best location to move to. My husband does not want to be any where near Memphis or even in the western part. He said that get lots of storms. (here in Maine we might get a couple small thundershowers a year.lol) We need a good realtor who is willing to work with us on finding at least a 5 bedroom house. Can spend up to 500.00. Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 09:14 PM

23,634 posts, read 21,969,184 times
Smile Location Location Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy75 View Post
We live here in Maine. The closing on our house is in about a month. We are really contemplating moving to Tennessee. We have 4 kids. ages 2 to 13 so a good neighborhood and schools are very important. Would like some ideas. We are very open to any suggestions about the best location to move to. My husband does not want to be any where near Memphis or even in the western part. He said that get lots of storms. (here in Maine we might get a couple small thundershowers a year.lol) We need a good realtor who is willing to work with us on finding at least a 5 bedroom house. Can spend up to 500.00. Thanks so much
This place is half way give or take between Knoxville and Chattanooga

Spring City Chamber of Commerce

Old 11-15-2007, 01:15 AM

942 posts, read 2,689,160 times
In and around Cookeville and Crossville probably is what you are looking for. Both areas are pretty much rural close to four bigger cities like Nashville/Davidson County, Chattanooga, Knoxville and Murphreesboro.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:04 AM

6,290 posts, read 20,548,170 times
Well, there are storms in all parts of Tennessee, but if your husband is talking about tornado-type storms, then you should look primarily in East Tennessee.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:42 AM

7,281 posts, read 18,703,493 times
So far you have gotten some good suggestions. There are many city's/towns in TN that fit your needs that you have mentioned thus far, but what type of work are you and/or your husband looking for? This would be an important factor as well, unless you are lucky enough to have a job that allows you to work from home?
This info will give you better suggestions as to a new home town for you.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:11 AM

20,014 posts, read 20,509,618 times
Im not so sure the schools in Cookeville or Crossville are all that great. Are you talking 500 for rent for a 5 bedroom house? Or do you mean 500,000 to buy a 5 bedroom house.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:39 AM

11,603 posts, read 31,771,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Im not so sure the schools in Cookeville or Crossville are all that great. Are you talking 500 for rent for a 5 bedroom house? Or do you mean 500,000 to buy a 5 bedroom house.
The schools in Crossville are not that great. But the schools in Cookeville are. Having a mid-major state university in town really helps. Cookeville High is one of only 5 high schools in the state with the grueling International Baccalaureate Program, and Capshaw Elementary has one of the largest programs for gifted students in the state.

I do think it'll be difficult to find a 5 bedroom house anywhere in TN for $500/month.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:58 AM

6,848 posts, read 9,817,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Well, there are storms in all parts of Tennessee, but if your husband is talking about tornado-type storms, then you should look primarily in East Tennessee.

I found this interesting because I know that not one, but two tornadoes did in fact go through Cleveland, TN, in the mid-70's and took out two parts of the town... one complete section down to the slabs. So, it's far from immune, too.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:25 PM

20,014 posts, read 20,509,618 times
JMT
Isnt Cookeville having an overcrowding problem. I just keep hearing talk that they already need to build a new Highschool? Just wondering.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:13 PM

70 posts, read 263,819 times
Default Hi, Mindy75!

My wife and I are now empty nesters but we first moved to the Tennessee Valley (East Tennessee) about 20 years ago and pretty much raised our kids in this area.

They went through the local schools and, altho' several went on to attend and graduate from universities out of the area, one did graduate from the Univ of Tenn in Chatannooga. The other major university in the immediate area is the Univ of Tenn in Knoxville (the main campus). There is an excellent private Christian college (Lee University) in Cleveland and another (Tennessee Weslyan) in Athens.

We live in McMinn County which is almost exactly halfway between Chattanooga and Knoxville, just off I-75. The county seat is Athens - with a population of around 18,000 (more if you count the dogs and cats).

The next larger city in the area is Cleveland, which is around 18 miles further down I-75 toward Chattanooga – it has a population of around 48,000. Either Chattanooga and Knoxville are about an hour’s drive away and both have many things to do and see, and all the places you might ever need for shopping and healthcare facilities. Locally, in either Cleveland or Athens, there are also regional hospitals. And if you really need a dose of “big city”, Atlanta is a little over two hours away. Around here, however, it’s country and three cars at a stop sign means heavy traffic!

We live on about 7 acres of land, with several out buildings. We own one of the oldest homes in McMinn County - built in 1838 - and we have just recently finished a complete restoration. It has been featured in the local paper twice and will be included in a new book being published by the McMinn County Historical Society of important historical buildings in the county. The interesting part of this is that we have decided to sell our home - probably next Spring.

Incidentally, 2 of our neighbors have horses and there is fishing and hunting aplenty for those interested. The Tennessee River runs through the Tennessee Valley and both Chattanooga and Knoxville are on the river. The TVA is here (remember Roosevelt’s ‘New Deal’ after the Great Depression where he created, among other things, the TVA?) and it manages a number of dams along the river for hydro-electric power. That, together with several nuclear plants, gives us some of the cheapest electricity in the country.

The winters are nowhere near a severe as in Maine and I would say the temperatures get down to the low twenties or upper teens a few days in January or February. There is typically a couple of inches of snow, spread over several storms. What we really like about this area is that it has four seasons - with a longer Spring and Fall.

Most folks like it here!

I would be more than happy to try and answer any questions you may have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee