Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 08:11 PM

37,749 posts, read 40,820,430 times

Advertisements

According to television station WHBQ, fewer than 1 percent of motor vehicles in Tennessee have vanity plates, making Tennessee second only to Texas for the smallest percentage of personalized plates.

According to rankings provided to The Associated Press by the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators, of the 9.3 million personalized plates in the nation, only about 43,000 are in Tennessee.

I'm thinking this means BBQBabe is still available.

So, I know you're dying to know where the most vain people (based on their license plates) live. And I think if you had to guess, you'd be wrong.

Virginia has the largest percentage of vanity plates at 16%, followed by New Hampshire (nearly 14%) and Illinois (13.4%) BUT the number of Illinois vanity plates is about 1.3 million, more than any other state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 09:42 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,248,745 times
You are so great at that info stuff LaurC, could you maybe find the info for stats on the states specialty plates? You know, the ones that you pay the extra fee which goes to a cause.How many people get those? We have the eagle plates and pay an extra $30 or so for bald eagle preservation....well and it is a really beautiful tag!

Old 11-19-2007, 10:19 PM

203 posts, read 764,232 times
I was really surprised to see that info. If I had guessed it would have been either CA or New York, maybe Florida. But Virginia with the largest percentage? And Illinois with the largest number? Shocked me. Thanks for sharing, LauraC. You are always a wealth of information - not to mention an absolutely awesome photographer!

Old 11-19-2007, 10:29 PM

Aw, this was a news story that came to me in my Google News Alerts today. I didn't do anything but click on the link.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:21 PM

53 posts, read 186,872 times
I had a vanity plate in VA in the 90's and learned that piece of info, DMV stated it was due to the pricing, at that time, It was only an extra $10 to have your own letters/#'s put on it. In FL we have to pay various fees for what are called specialty plates that the extra money goes to that agency. Such as child abuse, save the manatees. you still have to take what letters/# they give you, the tag is just more attractive!

Old 11-19-2007, 11:43 PM

506 posts, read 1,465,301 times
Honestly, I think TN should be #1. Texas results are skewered because of their immigrants & high population in general, but that is just my theory on it.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:52 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,144,715 times
Maybe we're just cheap. People can buy a nice "Redneck Cowgirl" front plate or a "No Tailgating--Driver Chews Tobacco" bumper sticker a lot cheaper. ;-)

Frankly I don't know why anyone would want to spend another $35 or so to have a vanity plate.

I would have guessed California too for having the highest percentage. Maybe all the good ones like HOTGUY and CLUBME are taken.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:02 AM

79 posts, read 280,484 times
This is very hard to believe with all of the personalized plates that Tennessee has. I know they have a tag for every SEC school (very unusual). I have a personal UT license plate and know a lot of people that do. Then there is the Tennessee Titan plate, the Memphis Tigers plate, and the very popular Friends of the Smokies plate.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:29 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,144,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2 View Post
This is very hard to believe with all of the personalized plates that Tennessee has. I know they have a tag for every SEC school (very unusual). I have a personal UT license plate and know a lot of people that do. Then there is the Tennessee Titan plate, the Memphis Tigers plate, and the very popular Friends of the Smokies plate.
That's an interesting point. I'm not sure whether those are actually considered vanity plates or not. I suspect that only the ones that people order with their own sequence of numbers or letters are counted as vanity plates.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2 View Post
Those aren't vanity plates. Vanity plates are the ones where you put your own message on it. I have a bass plate but it just has regular numbers on it, no message. However, if you had any plate and put "LUVUTOO" or "VOLSFAN" or "PRINCESS" or "BUSTINU" those would be vanity plates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee