Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 11:35 AM

884 posts, read 1,028,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The issue with many rankings (not just where to live) is 2000 census data. Because the census is only taken every 10 years, the closer it gets to the next census the greater the chances of the results being out of date.

Examples: Think about the growth that has occurred in East Tennessee since the 2000 census. Think of the impact of illegal immigration since the 2000 census.
See, that could be an argument. I think it is kind of an arbitrary issue in the fact that we don't know what the impact would be.

I'm guessing the only thing we can do is assume it is somewhat accurate or we would have to stop printing all articles with rankings that rely on census data. (lose lose situation I think)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 08:47 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,366,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
I always take these lists w/ a grain of salt, but FWIW...

The 50 most kid-friendly small towns and suburbs in the U.S.—where crime rates and cost of living are low, and schools, test scores, and cultural activities are high.

The results spanned the country: 11 places in Nebraska, seven in both Illinois and Ohio; six in New York; four in Tennessee; three in Michigan; two apiece in Georgia, Kentucky, and Texas; and one each in Alabama, Mississippi, and Oregon.

Best Places to Raise Your Kids, 2007 - BusinessWeek
Although the numbers add up to only 47 towns, I'm pleased that 12 are in southern states. The South is my favorite region for a number of reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee