Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 09:02 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,778 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/05/ed...education&_r=0

What do you think? TN is notorious for have low education compared to the rest of the country, is this a worthwhile investment for the state that will result in more high tech ready workforce or is it bound to be a failure where you get stuck paying for someones D+ in 17th Century Classical Dance?

Looks like it will be paid for by money generated by the state lottery. At only 34 million a year, it seems like a worthwhile venture. Many students who do well in a 2 year school often transfer to a University in the state system with scholarships and much of the initial coursework done already. This would greatly help offset the cost of an aspiring nurse or biomedical engineer by paying for all those "pre requisite" courses like Intro Chemistry, Biology, Calculus, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 09:52 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
I'd like to see some studies on the potential impacts before we go down this path.

On one hand, you're right, it would benefit Tennesseans more to have easier access to education. It's sad to me that some people that move here from other states have a leg up in the job hunt because they have a higher level of education.

On the other hand, I would like to know what any unintended consequences might come from this -- for instance, how will free 2 year college access impact our 4 year colleges? There are some cases where people could attend a two year college for free, then finish at a 4 year college (which would significantly reduce their tuition costs and potential student loans). But will that diminish the value of the first two years at a 4 year college, especially if some of the brighter students choose the less expensive route? Will some of those people (whom will will say would have attended a 4 year college) decide to cease their education after their 2 year degree? And what would the potential impact of having fewer freshman and sophomore students do for 4 year colleges and their budgets (losing out on tuition -- or, will it end up saving money?).

There is also the question of jobs. Will this strategy, and having a more educated populace, be enough to attract companies and jobs for these students when the exit, or will they find their two years more or less wasted if they have to settle for a job that they could have acquired without a degree?

Another thing to consider is people moving to Tennessee for the sole purpose of taking advantage of free education. What impact will that have? $34 million in costs could quickly balloon if more people than anticipated take advantage and the state has to spend millions to accommodate the influx of students.

There is a lot to consider. I want to know the specifics. On the surface, it sounds good. But what will actually happen?

Old 02-04-2014, 10:59 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
I like it somewhat, but nashvols does make some good points. I'd prefer income limits on free education even for the first two years.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:41 AM

375 posts, read 1,096,539 times
Seems to be set up to encourage students to do their first two years at a community college. Only graduating seniors from Tennessee high schools will be eligible to apply. Details here: Tennessee Promise | Drive to 55 Excerpt from the webpage:

How will the Tennessee Promise be funded?

The Tennessee Promise will be funded within existing resources by interest from the newly established Tennessee Promise endowment and by changing the HOPE award for students attending community colleges from $2,000 per year to $3000 per year, while reducing the award amount at the four-year institutions for freshmen and sophomores from $4000 per year to $3000 per year. The endowment will continue to grow as any net lottery proceeds above the general shortfall reserve will be added to the Tennessee Promise endowment.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:05 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
I have several concerns, one being can it really be funded with lottery money??? How will it be funded if there is not enough revenue from that program??? I smell tax increases in the future. A bigger concern is one brought up by Nashvols, the idea that people from other states will move here just to get this "free college". Would adults be able to move here from other states and get this free college?, or would 18 year olds from Kentucky be moving over state lines after graduation? Somehow the law would have to include some residency requirements that protect us from having to pay for this kind of thing.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:36 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I have several concerns, one being can it really be funded with lottery money??? How will it be funded if there is not enough revenue from that program??? I smell tax increases in the future. A bigger concern is one brought up by Nashvols, the idea that people from other states will move here just to get this "free college". Would adults be able to move here from other states and get this free college?, or would 18 year olds from Kentucky be moving over state lines after graduation? Somehow the law would have to include some residency requirements that protect us from having to pay for this kind of thing.
It is only eligible to graduates of TN high schools, and it does not apply to returning adult students.

All your questions are answered in the link yarddawg provided.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:45 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I'd like to see some studies on the potential impacts before we go down this path.

On one hand, you're right, it would benefit Tennesseans more to have easier access to education. It's sad to me that some people that move here from other states have a leg up in the job hunt because they have a higher level of education.

On the other hand, I would like to know what any unintended consequences might come from this -- for instance, how will free 2 year college access impact our 4 year colleges? There are some cases where people could attend a two year college for free, then finish at a 4 year college (which would significantly reduce their tuition costs and potential student loans). But will that diminish the value of the first two years at a 4 year college, especially if some of the brighter students choose the less expensive route? Will some of those people (whom will will say would have attended a 4 year college) decide to cease their education after their 2 year degree? And what would the potential impact of having fewer freshman and sophomore students do for 4 year colleges and their budgets (losing out on tuition -- or, will it end up saving money?).

There is also the question of jobs. Will this strategy, and having a more educated populace, be enough to attract companies and jobs for these students when the exit, or will they find their two years more or less wasted if they have to settle for a job that they could have acquired without a degree?

Another thing to consider is people moving to Tennessee for the sole purpose of taking advantage of free education. What impact will that have? $34 million in costs could quickly balloon if more people than anticipated take advantage and the state has to spend millions to accommodate the influx of students.

There is a lot to consider. I want to know the specifics. On the surface, it sounds good. But what will actually happen?
I think this will reduce enrollment at state four year colleges. Many students enroll in a four year program, but I think some of these students would be perfectly happy with a two year degree, considering that it's free. On the flip side, I think community colleges will have to staff up to deal with the projected increased enrollment. I don't know if this will be done, but it should be if demand is there.

I don't see how it diminishes the value of a four year degree at all. Some math or science courses may have to be retaken as the CC equivalent may not be intensive enough for some better programs, but the first two years end up being a lot of TBR general education fluff anyway. The bachelor's is going to be from the final school you attended, not where you started. People without the aptitude for a four year degree will wash out at the four year school like they do now.

I'm also not sure if the education will help the labor market create jobs. TN has gone down the low taxes, low education, low regulation, low wage route, and the state's economy is still moribund, by and large. Compare TN to states like MA, MN, NY, etc, which are the exact opposites of TN and have far more high-end jobs, better wages, a general higher standard of living, etc. It's kind of a chicken-and-egg thing - companies don't want to relocate where the populace is uneducated and lacking skills, but when there are so few jobs in an area where an education is required or even beneficial, the population rightly views education with suspicion. Negative behaviors are reinforced.

Also, if the jobs aren't created, this program will probably just accelerate the brain-drain in most of TN. At least where I'm from in the Tri-Cities, young people seem to be leaving the area in droves unless they are in health care or education. The professionally minded people I grew up with are all but gone. Some had big city dreams and would have left if the economy was great and some got married to someone from out of the region, but many relocated to NC, NYC, Atlanta, and quite a few even went to Kentucky for jobs. Out of seven close personal friends of mine in their 20s that were all here as of 2011, all but one (a teacher) have relocated for work or are in the process of relocation, including myself. One other guy and myself left, came back, only to be forced to leave again due to the lack of professional work. Out of the ones leaving, two are engineers, one got a corporate finance job, two of us are in IT, one is dead, and one is a surveyor with a general contractor. We're not only not staying in east TN - we're leaving the state. I also grew up with a very wealthy self-made business owner in Knoxville, who is also in his mid 20s, and he is leaving the country due to a lack of skilled employees, but he is an extreme case.

The ones that are staying in TN aren't the innovative, creative class needed to push an economy forward - they tend to be the ones just muddling through. The Tri-Cities have a lot of older folks who could use a fresh education and updated skills, but there aren't jobs here for them, no matter how much free education and training is provided. I'm sure it's like this in most of the state.

I think this will be a net positive overall.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:38 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,778 times
I don't think this would have a negative effect on the Universities in TN. If anything, I think it would help by lowering the student to faculty ratio in intro (freshman/sophomore) level classes. At UConn, my Chemistry and Physics classes (both 100 level courses) had over 300 students in the class. My genetic lecture (200 level course) had about 200. It's safe to say the classes would benefit from having fewer students that are "exploring" in the lecture hall.

A few business owners here in CT have said they wouldn't move their operation somewhere like TN because they would rather pay the premium for having better educated employees. Personally, I think this line of thinking is flawed. Your not necessarily getting "better" candidates for a job, just MORE of them.

I do think a higher college education rate would increase long term high tech job creation/relocation to the state. TN already looks excellent on paper in terms tax numbers etc, why not go the extra mile to compete with all the big guys? At 34 million it seems to be a no brainer. I think it's incredible that they could do it at that low a cost honestly.

Over priced liberal states like NY can make collecting garbage from the curb in a single town cost 34 million dollars. The fact that you can manage to bring an entire state halfway to their 4 year degree for 34 million should be a sense of pride and fiscal responsibility.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:46 AM

712 posts, read 1,487,189 times
First, I do support more people going to colleges of applied technology, which usually has high job placement rates. However, I would only support this if it treats community colleges and universities equally. I don't think any university in the state could take the budgetary hit that would come from having significantly less freshman and sophomores.

My second concern is: lets face it, universities have more qualified faculty and generally produce a better education than community colleges. If you divert those would be freshman who could do well at a university away into a community college for their first two years, they will receive a lesser education than they do now.

Finally, it is another step into this mentality that everyone has the "right" to a post-secondary education. Drives me crazy!

Old 02-05-2014, 08:57 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
I don't think this would have a negative effect on the Universities in TN. If anything, I think it would help by lowering the student to faculty ratio in intro (freshman/sophomore) level classes. At UConn, my Chemistry and Physics classes (both 100 level courses) had over 300 students in the class. My genetic lecture (200 level course) had about 200. It's safe to say the classes would benefit from having fewer students that are "exploring" in the lecture hall.

A few business owners here in CT have said they wouldn't move their operation somewhere like TN because they would rather pay the premium for having better educated employees. Personally, I think this line of thinking is flawed. Your not necessarily getting "better" candidates for a job, just MORE of them.

I do think a higher college education rate would increase long term high tech job creation/relocation to the state. TN already looks excellent on paper in terms tax numbers etc, why not go the extra mile to compete with all the big guys? At 34 million it seems to be a no brainer. I think it's incredible that they could do it at that low a cost honestly.

Over priced liberal states like NY can make collecting garbage from the curb in a single town cost 34 million dollars. The fact that you can manage to bring an entire state halfway to their 4 year degree for 34 million should be a sense of pride and fiscal responsibility.
I remember there was two world history classes at my university that were required of EVERY student. These courses were jammed, but the students were required to be there and weren't "exploring." The 100 and 200 courses are usually fairly elementary, and unless the standards at the destination programs are extremely rigorous, it should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee