Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 02:09 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesefourwalls View Post
Of course, it will only be for part of the year as everyone else will still be changing their clocks around you. So you will still need to remember when the time changes and do the calculations anyway on top of it
Central Time is as late of a time as I ever want to be on haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 07:36 AM

815 posts, read 2,017,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesefourwalls View Post
Okay, I had to do a quick search to see what was actually being proposed. The title of thread read to me as if they wanted to stay on daylight savings. The first few articles to pop up look as if they want to stay on standard time year round. So, if that is the case the parts of the state that are on eastern standard time would be one hour behind the other eastern time states during the time everyone else is on daylight savings. The parts that are on central standard time would be two hours behind eastern daylight but would match mountain time during the time that mountain switches to daylight savings.
No, what it is saying is once we set our clocks up next week for Day Lights Savings Time, we would never set our clocks back when the rest of the country goes back to Standard Time. Therefore, East Tennesse would be on the same time as Atlantic once the rest of Eastern Time goes back to Standard time, and Middle and West TN would be on the same time as Eastern Time Zone.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:15 AM

254 posts, read 405,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
No, what it is saying is once we set our clocks up next week for Day Lights Savings Time, we would never set our clocks back when the rest of the country goes back to Standard Time. Therefore, East Tennesse would be on the same time as Atlantic once the rest of Eastern Time goes back to Standard time, and Middle and West TN would be on the same time as Eastern Time Zone.
My bad, I guess I read an old article when responding to the earlier post. I completely forgot there was a link in the OP. That little error in the bill is quite comical. Gotta love watching our tax dollars at work So yeah, to the previous poster who wanted to be closer to Mountain time......in this case you'll be doubly sol when everyone switches back

Old 02-26-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
That's what I always figured it would be, but I was listening to 104.5 yesterday and a state representative from Knoxville was talking about it and I could've sworn he was saying we (in CST) would go back into Mountain time, being two hours behind EST during those four months. Now, that doesn't seem to make any sense regarding keeping it lighter later in the day but whatever. I wouldn't say Eastern time "sucks", but for the way my daily schedule works out it would be really annoying to be in it, but if it happens it happens, and I may be back in Pacific time before next winter ends anyway haha

Old 02-26-2014, 10:58 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,529 times
I hate DST! Getting up in the morning is bad enough without artificially moving it up an hour.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:35 PM

627 posts, read 1,846,177 times
This is the best idea I've heard about DST.

The US needs to retire daylight savings and just have two time zones

When we were in Chicago, we used to have to remember what time it was going to be in Ft. Wayne, Indiana when we planned our trips to visit relatives because they didn't observe DST.

Two time zones is a great theory and should be done ASAP.

"In 1983, Alaska, which naturally spans four time zones, moved most of the state to a single time zone (except for an Native American reservation near Ketchikan and a few western Aleutian islands). The longitudinal distance of Alaska is nearly equal to the entire continental United States, yet the state functions, albeit with some tension, on one time zone. "

Old 02-26-2014, 05:30 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,517,399 times
Is this CST day light or EST daylight.. or just a hour difference in day light savings..

Old 02-28-2014, 07:29 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,772,027 times
I'd like to see the entire state moved to eastern standard time. It is a pain in the butt to have two time zones in this state.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I'd like to see the entire state moved to eastern standard time. It is a pain in the butt to have two time zones in this state.
To each their own based on how much one deals with East TN and whatnot, but the two time zones never affects me. The vast majority of the state's population lives in the Central time zone, but I personally think if it's not broke, fix it. And it's not broken.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:03 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
We just shouldn't have daylights savings time at all, anywhere. Not like kids are helping harvest the family crop in large numbers anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee