Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 10:20 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,682,667 times

Advertisements

This'll be our first TN Christmas, and although we have some of our own traditions (like opening 1 present on Christmas Eve) I was wondering what special things Tennesseans do year after year to make the season bright?

Anyone care to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 04:00 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
Here's one of mine. When I was a kid we had a place out in the country; mostly woods with a few fields. We had a lot of cedar trees, and while they're not the nicest looking tree, we sure weren't going to pay for a Christmas tree when we had so many cedars.

Anyway, a couple of weeks before Christmas it was a tradition to go out looking for a tree; generally me and my brother would do it. First we had to find one that had a pretty good shape all around, then be sure it was the right size (it's amazing how someone can convince themself that a ten foot tree will fit in the house). We would chop it down, bring it back to the house, get it set up and move it inside, take it back outside to cut six more inches off the bottom, move it back inside, cut four more inches off the top of the thing, then drag all the Christmas ornament from the attic, try to get the strands of lights to work ("One of these bulbs is bad . . . but which one?"), then decorate the tree. There was always an argument about the proper way to put the "icicles" on the tree.

All in all, this was a good half-a-day job. We enjoyed doing it when we were younger, but as we got older it wasn't quite as much fun. Mom would have to ORDER us to do it.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:55 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,275 times
OH Alley, you bring back some fond memories. As children we did the same thing. The kids and Dad would tromp out to the woods and search for hours for that perfect Charlie Brown Christmas tree. I think Mom loved it as we were out of the house for a few hours. As a matter of fact, our field of choice is still there.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:20 PM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Many moons ago when I was newly married to a real redneck county boy, not having money for a tree we would scope out a good cedar along I-40 pull over on the shoulder, my then dh would jump out and saw it down throw it in the hatchback, while I drove the get a way car. We would decorate it with strung popcorn, christmas cookies and candy canes.

When my kids were little, one of our traditions was to visit Hidden Hollow in Cookeville.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:41 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,682,667 times
AC...good story about cutting down the tree. We used to do the same thing when I was a farmboy living in upstate NY.

Here's one we'll be starting this year since our little one is over 2.....reading the Christmas Story aloud before opening presents on Christmas morning.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:16 AM

24,767 posts, read 28,520,245 times
I also would cut down a tree, Yeah that 10 footer will do. After I got threw with it and my hand dandy boy scout axe it was maybe 5 foot..... I found out if you use a hair dryer on cold setting and a hand full of those Mylar icicles it really throws them on a tree.I wonder if a leaf blower would be better.......

Old 12-05-2007, 06:23 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Many moons ago when I was newly married to a real redneck county boy, not having money for a tree we would scope out a good cedar along I-40 pull over on the shoulder, my then dh would jump out and saw it down throw it in the hatchback, while I drove the get a way car. We would decorate it with strung popcorn, christmas cookies and candy canes.

When my kids were little, one of our traditions was to visit Hidden Hollow in Cookeville.
Oh my gosh I miss Hidden Hollow at Christmas! I remember going there once after it had snowed. It was sooooo beautiful. Have the new owners brought back the Christmas tradition?

As for sawing down a good cedar on I-40, that's hysterical! I'm glad you were never caught. But it reminds me that there used to be a cedar on I-40 between Cookeville and Baxter that someone used to decorate every Christmas. I mean right there on the interstate. It was always so neat to see.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:35 AM

Hidden Hollow has reopened. Here is an ad from LSN.
Christmas Light Show
Hidden Hollow is proud to announce the return of is spectacular light show. The lights will be displayed starting Thanksgiving Thru New Years. This year the new feature will be a Hay ride every Friday night, for $1.00.
Hay rides will start at 7:00.
Also Dec 7th and 8th Hidden Hollow will be having a Christmas Craft fair in the Hill Top House. All vendors welcome. $15.00 1 day or $20.00 for both=1 8ft table /2 chairs.
please contact 526-4038 or email for more info on Christmas light show or craft fair.

I went last year with the grandkids. I was rather a dissapointment as the place was really run down. I wasnt going to go this yr. but now Im curious, I may just have to take the grandkids this weekend.

My days of stealing trees from the interstate are over.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:45 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
As for sawing down a good cedar on I-40, that's hysterical! I'm glad you were never caught. But it reminds me that there used to be a cedar on I-40 between Cookeville and Baxter that someone used to decorate every Christmas. I mean right there on the interstate. It was always so neat to see.
I think there's someone who still does that on I-24 between Nashville and Clarksville. It's sort of on their back property near the Interstate, setting out my itself.

My parents used to let anyone who wanted one come and cut a cedar for Christmas. The churches all around would get one of the big ones, and neighbors would get the smaller ones. In Tennessee you probably won't have too much trouble finding someone who will let you cut down a cedar. I have one in my backyard but the only reason I keep it is that it provides shelter for the little birdies in winter.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:45 AM

I dont have any cedars on my property. Actually dont like cedars for christmas trees. to prickly. This yr. I have my pitiful fake charlie brown tree up. Next yr. I think I will start a tradition of buying a tree with a root ball and planting it after the holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee