U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 08:29 PM

5 posts, read 11,172 times

Advertisements

I have another question. How much, on average, are land prices in eastern Tennessee? I'm interested in eventually getting some land, though, on the salary I'll be making, it'll be a while. I'm interested in getting about 2 or 3 acres. Actually, I'd like more than that because my wife and I would love to have horses someday, but I'm willing to start small. Any idea about how much that would cost? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 09:19 PM

1,109 posts, read 3,047,804 times
Default $3K / Acre low /low range .?

FR> : Did some browsing last summer and would say a very low target, but word of mouth do-able could be $3,000 per acre. Not really going to be thru Real Estate office agent. Not in paper ads each week, not going to have a Water view, but raw land, maybe lots of dead downed Pine trees, prior timbered can be found.
. The more utilities that have been added / supplied will bring up price. A building lot on paved street with other houses on street is avg $20K per acre, again not water access. Mature tree lot.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:17 AM

1,775 posts, read 5,533,060 times
$3000 per acre?? i searched 42 properties and took 4 trips to TN to find land that was buildable for a home. If you find anything $3000 an acre it's going to be very sloped and steep. A good piece of land for horses we almost bought was just over 2 acres for $40,000. it was in the middle of no where with no utilities connected or anything.

We ended up buying 8 acres on an old farm land that was recently subdivided but they do allow 1 farm animal for each acre you own. Lots there were selling for $50 - $80,000 for 5 or 6 acres and it was very nice flat land with views of the mountains. Smaller sites just over 1 acre also were available that run along a river. Not sure on the prices of those.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:02 AM

2,350 posts, read 7,430,995 times
I agree with Split AND Daniellefort, $3000-$5000 is the norm, however it will be totally undeveloped and in a rural area. Closer to $10k and up per acre for properties that are in an organized subdivided area. Check landandfarm for all ranges.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:18 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,822,112 times
Daniellefort and jkmewright are correct. Property will be less costly in remote areas. You can expect at least $10,000 per acre closer to develped areas and subdivisions.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:35 AM

4,733 posts, read 6,608,741 times
Wink You really have to research your area and look at a lot of properties.

We have found prices even 5 to 10 times higher than that, jguillot, if you look into some of the in town mid-range developments.

That is without any golf course, swimming pools, gates or any of the high end amenities you find in some of the expensive planned communities.

We have been really surprised at the prices in some areas. You can still buy land in small town areas in New England for $30,000 an acre with beautiful views of the lakes or Berkshire mountains.

I think that many developers who target out of state customers list at what they think those folks are used to seeing on the stickers and hope to get it.

Really look around and research what acreage is selling for in the area you are interested in buying. Jguillot is right about land still being affordable and reasonable outside of the cities.

Hope you find a nice piece of land for your home - and maybe some horses some day.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:03 PM

11,128 posts, read 8,718,869 times
Also, land prices are dependent upon how much or how large a tract you buy. One place that not many have mentioned and is only worth the effort if you have time on your side, are auctions.

I purchased by property for far far less than 3k an acre, but it is fully wooded and I spent almost two years waiting for just the right piece of dirt to turn up.

I have seen the occasional tract of 40+ acres go for less than 1k an acre, but again, those are getting harder to find and land prices don't seem to fluctuate nearly like home prices do for obvious reasons.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:08 PM

11,417 posts, read 11,371,752 times
I just bought 32 acres with a house (valued at $55K) for 2,200 per acre. The property adjoins 10 acres I purchased about 6 yrs ago for 1250 per acre. Its nice land, mostly flat with oaks, although it has been logged before. It is located across the hwy from Cumberland Cove. Lots in the cove Ive seen for 18K + per acre. You couldnt have horses there tho. Other lots (1- acres) in the area average 4-5K. My sister just sold 1 acre (commercial) with hwy frontage for 16k. Guess it depends on what your looking for.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:29 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,552,200 times
RE: land suitable for horses, good flat or rolling pastureland in rural Hawkins & Greene counties can still be found for $5-8K per acre.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:20 PM

28 posts, read 51,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future TN Resident View Post
I have another question. How much, on average, are land prices in eastern Tennessee? I'm interested in eventually getting some land, though, on the salary I'll be making, it'll be a while. I'm interested in getting about 2 or 3 acres. Actually, I'd like more than that because my wife and I would love to have horses someday, but I'm willing to start small. Any idea about how much that would cost? Thanks.
Last year we bought just over 5 acres in Roane County for about $30,000Rolling and level...3 1/2 acres cleared....1 1/2 wooded. Electric on site...but not water and sewer. We can have horses.
We also won't be moving for a few years...but I wanted to buy now because the prices are only going to go UP. We figured out what kind of monthly payment we could afford....then began looking. We started close to the Smokeys...Maryville, Townsend...but found it too expensive - I think East Roane County is perfect...the Smokeys are 1 hour away to the East of our land and the Cumberland Mountains 1 hour to our West. Perfect I think! There is a 5 acre lot next to ours for 37,000...so look around your bound to find 2 or three acres at a reasonable price. My advice would be to search the MLS for East Tn area ..and speak to some real estate agents.
Good Luck, Sara
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee