U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 03:23 PM

49 posts, read 80,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsteph View Post
I had to finally register because a google search brought me to this post. Jackson is far from the ugliest city but it is far from being beautiful.

While there are a few parks, the city downtown looks tired and dingy. The houses and businesses outside of a very small area in the north west are run down and the attempts to improve the city have actually made it less appealing.

There are far worse things about this city than visual appeal.

Jackson ranks in the top 10 of cities under 100,000 for violent crime.
Meth use is near the highest in the country.
Poverty is some of the highest int he state.
Unemployment is 2-3 times the national average and business are pulling out due to an inability to find labor and difficulty with local politics
Schools are ruled by christian organizations and the public school system is a disgrace
Police still use unethical tactics to pad arrests in order to get federal funding
The house market has collapsed. By that I mean it is worse than the post 2007 collapse. A $90-100,000 home now goes for under $60,000
The is no local "scene" for food or entertainment. The only events cater to a small group of upper middle class white people while blacks and minorities continue to be swept under the rug.
Murder rates per capita here is higher than Chicago and Detroit.
Jackson has been in the national spotlight numerous times in the past decade alone for it's major civill rights and LGBT equality issues. It is dangerous for LGBT people to live here.
Local drug ordinances for marijuana possession are actually the worst in the nation. Possesion of under half an ounce is a felony and brings up to 1 year in prison. First time offenders often face probation for two years and the threat of drug court. That is unless you can afford thousands in legal fees and a year in court. I know this might not mean much to many people but with the country changing with marijuana reform, I feel it is important to point out that Jackson is actually moving backwards.

I could go on but I hope you get the idea. Unless you come here to retire, are southern baptist, and white, this is a horrible place to live.
I hate to say it, but based on what I've seen I have to agree with a lot of what's been said here.

I'm not sure that I would say Jackson is an ugly city. The surrounding area is pretty typical West Tennessee landscape, and Jackson's downtown and newer developments are pretty typical of mid-sized Tennessee cities like Cookeville, Murfreesboro, etc. There are good and bad neighborhoods, but I don't feel like the downtown area looks bad at all.

That being said, crime in Jackson is HUGE concern. Whether it's use and trafficking of hard drugs, burglaries, murders, you name it. Jackson has an extreme issue with crime and it's only going to get worse until city authorities find a way to resolve the underlying problems. However, given the corruption present in the local police force, I doubt we will see a resolution to Jackson's crime problem any time soon. They seem to be content with busting stupid kids carrying around dimebags instead of focusing on junkies peddling meth.

Can't really speak for the issue of schooling, I'm not familiar with Jackson's public educational system. I will say that Christian fundamentalist grandstanding and poor public schools are very common across Tennessee, and the former has in fact has been a huge issue in my native Sumner County. This is not a problem that is isolated to Jackson, so I feel like it might be a bit unfair to single it out.

As for the LGBT issue, I can't even begin to tell you about all of the horror stories I've heard from several of my friends who lived or spent time in Jackson being spat upon, assaulted, harassed by the police and threatened with rape for being part of the LGBT spectrum.

These are people who do not "flaunt" what they are, to use the word that so many who dislike gay people seem fond of. They are good, honest, low-key people who were brutally attacked for who they are. Jackson is unequivocally NOT a safe place for LGBT people under any circumstances.

I'm not dogging on Jackson relative to other Tennessee cities, there are plenty of places in Tennessee that have much bigger, more pervasive problems to worry about. But I can't in good conscience say that Jackson is a perfect place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,292 times
Same sky and same clouds-- same road construction-- Jackson Tennessee is beautiful in its own rights. Jackson, Milan, Trenton-- heck all the towns around it. I have lived here all my life. Very beautiful. I also went to Lee college in Cleveland Tn ... I was always coming home every weekend or when I could. There's NO PLACE like home. Yes very beautiful ...

Old 03-06-2016, 03:11 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 20,668,357 times
http://www.city-data.com/city/Jackson-Tennessee.html
I suggest you look at the crime rate.

Tennessee is a beautiful state but when we get close to Memphis we always make sure the gas tank of our car is full and the doors are locked. We used to stop in Jackson but have found the area changing more with every trip we take.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:07 PM

9,094 posts, read 12,876,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
http://www.city-data.com/city/Jackson-Tennessee.html
I suggest you look at the crime rate.

Tennessee is a beautiful state but when we get close to Memphis we always make sure the gas tank of our car is full and the doors are locked. We used to stop in Jackson but have found the area changing more with every trip we take.
That is so over the top! LOL
Memphis has it's problems but that's just crazy.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:55 PM

6,482 posts, read 13,567,860 times
I agree. Lived in Memphis for years and didn't lock my doors while traveling around in the city. That's a weird comment.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:31 PM

22,499 posts, read 45,368,982 times
Consider the source. Over the years, she's said far worse.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:22 PM

345 posts, read 265,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perszona View Post
I would like to move from SF to a not so expensive, beautiful place with mountains and water and lots of green, but not too far from a city. Someone told me Jackson is really gorgeous and inexpensive and is near Memphis. Is that true? Any other suggestions? Thanks...
LMAOOO whoever told you that is a damn liar. Jackson and beautiful shouldn't even be used in the same sentence. When I think of Beautiful and Tennessee, I think of Chattanooga and Nashville. Even Memphis has some gems. But Jackson? lol

Old 10-30-2016, 09:27 PM

576 posts, read 505,354 times
Heck Naw Jackson ain't beautiful, Basically just a pit stop between Nashville and Memphis, It's alrite for its size tho and it's about a hour to a hour thirty minutes outside Memphis

Old 11-20-2016, 09:31 AM

8,096 posts, read 13,870,232 times
I am surprised at some of the newer comments about Jackson. While we don't live there, we have made friends in Jackson and I travel up for shopping at least once a week. We also attend events and visit friends in Jackson. Obviously some of the above posters are spoiled or naive. Yes, there are drugs in Jackson - same with Nashville, Knoxville, Memphis and Chatt. For that matter, there are drugs in the smaller towns/cities. I know the meth problem in McNairy County is considered to be one of the worst: according to one of the EMTs, there's a meth death at least once a week.

Having moved here from one of the boroughs of NYC, I can't believe you folks complain about Jackson. We've been here over 4 years and we love West TN - for the most part. I like the majority of people we've met, and we love that we've only met 1 of our neighbors - of course we only have 2 neighbors within a 1 mile radius.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 542 times
As a radio personality many years ago, I interviewed Johnny Cash and asked the question. He stated to me and I quote. "Although we (June and I) didn't write the song, we are referring to Jackson, Tennessee". End of quote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or