Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:39 AM

628 posts, read 1,678,047 times

Advertisements

A really cool state park just to the south of Jackson, TN is Pinson Mounds State Archaeological Park. It contains ancient Woodlands-era Native American burial mounds that were built before, during & after the time of Christ.

http://www.sitemason.com/files/l3FVf...2.jpg/main.jpg
Saul's Mound PHOTO: Mark Norton

Pinson Mounds State Park also has a series of wetland boardwalks.

http://www.sitemason.com/files/hYXSI...2.JPG/main.jpg
The boardwalk at Pinson Mounds

http://www.sitemason.com/files/hdAKK...1.JPG/main.jpg
The view from Saul's Mound, looking toward the museum

Last edited by JMT; 02-04-2017 at 06:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 12:41 PM

628 posts, read 1,678,047 times
... And just a little bit farther south of Jackson is the beautiful Chickasaw State Park & the Bear Trace @ Chickasaw golfcourse.

http://www.elitegolfcourses.com/btch...tchscene18.jpg
The Bear Trace @ Chickasaw

http://www.elitegolfcourses.com/btch...tchscene23.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 02-04-2017 at 06:03 PM..

Old 03-22-2011, 09:59 AM

11 posts, read 26,940 times
Lightbulb jackson, tn beautiful?

I am a native tennessean and I think chattanooga is absolutely gorgeous. And it really does have mtns and a river that flows thru it. It is a large city (#4 in TN) but it has a true small town feel. Coolige Park is awesome.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:34 PM

7,097 posts, read 8,862,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post
My family and I moved from San Diego here to Jackson a couple of years ago and love it. Though there are no mountains to speak of, the area is covered with dense forests and many lakes and is better described as rolling plateaus. There are many charming old Victorian style houses near our small downtown area that can be had for less than $100k, I've seen some as low as $35K (fixer upper). In contrast to SF, here one can drive anywhere they want and at anytime of the day they want without all that suffocating traffic congestion. There must be something here because we are getting many CA transplants. My wife works in management at a local medical tech company and told me that over the last year they have hired more than 30 people from CA and had applications from hundreds more from CA alone.
that sounds great that jackson is growing. hopefully the growth will continue at a moderate managable pace.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:08 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,334,553 times
i was speaking and driving around w/ a friend this past weekend, and the subject of rapid growth came up. he had heard some very good news, which ties into all of the development currently going on at the campbell street exists and the huntingdon exists. currently, i think 6 hotels have been built or are currently being built. it will be interesting to see what develops.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:42 PM

67 posts, read 165,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
Jackson also has the Cypress Grove Nature Park located on the western side of the city. It includes over 6,000 feet of boardwalk through a bird of prey sanctuary, lakes & wetlands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur B View Post
Yes, Jackson does its' downfaults like any other town, especially if you're hanging out in bars or rough communities or places where often documented crimes take place. But if you're not doing these sort of negative things, Jackson Tn is wonderful place to live and raise your children. Jackson Tn has a long lasting Christian background, lots and lots of Churches. If you don't like Jackson Tn its' simply that you just don't want to, bottom line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
Jackson, TN has some really beautiful areas. Also, the city does have a large size lake just a few miles to the east, Lake Graham.
Beautiful pictures. I gave you rep for showing the positive side of things.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,872 times
Lake Graham is just outside the western city limits. 500 acres of water.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:54 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,334,553 times
i don't understand why the same questions keep being asked over and over, but jackson has some nice public parks, performing arts venues, public party and reception halls. it does have some nice federal buildings, both old and new, and some very attractive downtown buildings that were heavily damaged, after a series of tornadoes over a four or five year period. the buildings were able to be restored, but several were lost. several public houses of worship were heavily damaged or ompletely. they have all be restored to their former glory or rebuilt, altogether.

several office buildings have been built in the downtown area. currently, site work is under way to build a large office complex, which will be built on an entire block of former buildings which was destroyed by one of the tornadoes. too, in the small business area of midtown jackson, a landmark set of buildings in the art deco style, and a corner market, which was a midtown favorite, was also dozed. a huge sign stands out front w/ the words, "cvs coming soon." on the diagonal corner, at the intersection, sit the second of 2 walgreens, on a property that use to have one of the most unusual buildings in the city. it looked very much like an english pub, it had a huge open working fireplace, and a brick oven, which held hughe pork shoulders, bratwurst, hams, and baked beans. a bar that was probably about 10-12 ft. 6/ 0ver 9 glass pain windows. exposed wood beams, and you hopefully get the picture. i guess the first walgreen wasn't large enough, but it was torn down just a few years after its grand opening.

if you are planning a visit to jackson to see beauty, you will have to look around. northwood for some attractive tudors, colonial revival, renaissance revival, modified cape cod, stone and nice millwork, spanish american, art deco, and the pronounced 1920's. most of them have some breath-taking antiques, old money, old ties to the founders of the city, etc. try to see that area, then go over to crescent, wisdom, and some of those back streets to see some nice cottages, each house its own design and personality. some relatively large and some modestly 1,800 sq ft.

jackson, when i first came to the city, surprised me w/ the number of gated communities. unbelievable. emerald lake, an enclave of english and dunbar tudors, windwood hills, kirkland estates, and so many other estate houses, if that is you thing, 1st presbyterian, maybe you will catch a carillon concert. this church built as a replica of 2nd prebysterian, memphis. beautiful grounds. st. luke's episcopal, 1834, down, some nice glass (italian mosiacs), some from the shop of tiffany and his workman, some nice mezzotints. exposed beams, old walnut pews, a good time to say a prayer. 1st methodist, downtown, berean baptist church, city hall, madison county courthouse, the tn supreme court building, the u. s. federal court, and the social security building. beautifully built by the government years and years ago. the u of m at lambuth. attractive colonial architecture. see the observatory, while you are visiting. riverside cemetery and hollywood cemetery.

that is about it. don't waste your time w/ lowe's, there are two, walmart, there are two, target, k-mart, the mall, and the standard outlets, eateries, and places you will see identify any other place in america. jackson has dropped the ball concerning the beautification of the city, by and large. so don't waste your time. if you want to see some pretty country, take some of the roads leading off the interstate. enjoy the fields, tree lines, hills, ponds, rivers, lakes, national forests, and the smell of hay or burning leaves this time of year.

be prepared, the traffic is terrible, the city must not have been planned by any engineers, urban design professionals, the road system is mostly after thoughts. most likely, you will enjoy the visit, you will not be accosted, shot, or knifed. if that happens, this city is known for having some of the best care in the nation, jackson-madison county medical center, quite impressive, and methodist-le bonheur. one is on the 45 bypass and the other in midtown. best of luck.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,399 times
I grew up about 45 minutes from Jackson in a small rural area, where there wasn't much to do, But going to Jackson on the weekend was a popular activity, It is the largest town in west Tennessee outside of Memphis, and most rural folks between Brownsville on the west and Paris on the east went to Jackson for everything since it was quicker to get to than Nashville or Memphis. I've always believed the song to be about Jackson, TN. I know Johnny Cash's band, the Tennessee Three was from that area, and I don't remember hearing of any one else recording that song before Cash.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,671 times
I had to finally register because a google search brought me to this post. Jackson is far from the ugliest city but it is far from being beautiful.

While there are a few parks, the city downtown looks tired and dingy. The houses and businesses outside of a very small area in the north west are run down and the attempts to improve the city have actually made it less appealing.

There are far worse things about this city than visual appeal.

Jackson ranks in the top 10 of cities under 100,000 for violent crime.
Meth use is near the highest in the country.
Poverty is some of the highest int he state.
Unemployment is 2-3 times the national average and business are pulling out due to an inability to find labor and difficulty with local politics
Schools are ruled by christian organizations and the public school system is a disgrace
Police still use unethical tactics to pad arrests in order to get federal funding
The house market has collapsed. By that I mean it is worse than the post 2007 collapse. A $90-100,000 home now goes for under $60,000
The is no local "scene" for food or entertainment. The only events cater to a small group of upper middle class white people while blacks and minorities continue to be swept under the rug.
Murder rates per capita here is higher than Chicago and Detroit.
Jackson has been in the national spotlight numerous times in the past decade alone for it's major civill rights and LGBT equality issues. It is dangerous for LGBT people to live here.
Local drug ordinances for marijuana possession are actually the worst in the nation. Possesion of under half an ounce is a felony and brings up to 1 year in prison. First time offenders often face probation for two years and the threat of drug court. That is unless you can afford thousands in legal fees and a year in court. I know this might not mean much to many people but with the country changing with marijuana reform, I feel it is important to point out that Jackson is actually moving backwards.

I could go on but I hope you get the idea. Unless you come here to retire, are southern baptist, and white, this is a horrible place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee