Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 05:33 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,579,296 times

Advertisements

Two different chains. Look at US 70 - there are two dollar generals between Crossville and Sparta. Basically in the middle of nowhere. They have had a very agressive expansion policy.

I've noticed them popping up other rural places but none come to mind right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 09:31 PM

182 posts, read 701,635 times
We too decided on TN to retire after a few years of searching and made our first visit to TN last spring after lots of internet research and found our piece of paradise and made a offer on the last day of our two-week visit. It's up in the northeastern part of the state, fairly private 20 mountain acres with about 1000 feet of a river running through it and for much less than your stated budget. We will be downsizing from a 3100 sq ft home in the burbs to a 1000 sq ft cabin we are having built. Not exactly a waterfall, but pretty nice nonetheless.

Our Creek

Old 04-22-2014, 07:57 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,336 times
Thumbs up Lookout Mtn , CHATTANOOGA

R.B. Your piece of paradise is easy to find on the south side of Chattanooga, North Georgia
known as Lookout Mtn.. We were at a music friend "Small LODGE " for a Christmas Jam & she
had a private WaterFall thru the trees.... New Construction on the plateau, has many lots.. This
would give you the time to sell north property..

Located on the east or backside of the Camping / day use State park known as "CLOUDLAND CANYON
LINK here https://www.google.com/search?q=clou...w=1455&bih=727 for their waterfalls, etc.
Many have retired to the Chattanooga area... We did from the Fla area, ,But upper New York state
natives,, Winter Ski mtn workers who gave up the snow...

Pvt msg mail if you wish any other questions, etc.. This area is also very close to the Civil war Battlefield
with its re-enactments. Lots of ridge top Hiking tails all thru this GORGE region known as the "Grand Canyon of the East... "LULU lake FALLS is another area to Google & view their falls or picnic hike. LINK LuLu https://www.google.com/search?q=clou...falls&tbm=isch
many senior clubs to go on a Tuesday or wed hike to these photo spots..

Last edited by SPLIT; 04-22-2014 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: 2nd LINK

Old 05-01-2014, 06:37 PM

19 posts, read 29,401 times
RBohach - We just found our little piece of paradise and will be moving to Eastern TN soon. Cannot really help you much in picking an area to zero in on but can comment on the Real Estate problem. We had a very difficult time getting any agent to help. We spent several hours with one who said he was interested in working with us - he did nothing except put us into some automatic email notification program that sent us listings that were not even close to what we had discussed. Basically the same with a couple of others. We agreed to sign a buyers agent agreement, but that didn't help.

We found our place ourselves by searching the Realtor site, and then going to Google Earth, to research (as well as the property tax sites). I would highly recommend Google Earth. You can get an overhead view but more importantly, to me, you can virtually drive by the property and thru the neighborhood and get a feeling for the area. With the absence of building codes and zoning in much of rural TN, there are some spots you may want to avoid, and doing the virtual drive by can save you a lot of trouble.

Once we found a likely property, we made an appointment with the listing agent to see it. After we found the winner, the agent we used was very helpful in getting the deal completed.

Bob

Old 06-12-2014, 09:47 AM

60 posts, read 108,769 times
I haven't checked back here in awhile because our house/acreage is still on the market and it just doesn't seem to be important to keep looking at properties. But - I still occasionally do. Katy-Kate, those rapids are just awesome. I sure hope we can find something even close to comparable once we are in a position to buy.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:02 PM

672 posts, read 810,301 times
I have seen many waterfall properties for sale.

Here is a couple of links

Waterfalls For Sale

Tennessee Mountain Properties

Old 06-18-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
I have seen many waterfall properties for sale.

Here is a couple of links

Waterfalls For Sale

Tennessee Mountain Properties

60.9 Acres near Ozone Falls - $2500 an Acre - Only $152,300! - SurvivalRealty.com

Old 06-18-2014, 02:07 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,423 times
ughh i want to retire. only 40 more years...

Old 06-19-2014, 02:03 PM

Love it

waterfall (544+/- acres) Marion County, TN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX8gOFxqwwI

Old 06-22-2014, 04:17 PM

29 posts, read 56,683 times
Nice! But sold off mineral rights, that always concerns me for some reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee