U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 01:49 PM

5,100 posts, read 8,236,733 times
Post For anyone leaving FL, heading to TN

We did and have never imagined we could be so happy!!!! We are technically in a town called Bone Cave that is so small it doesn't even appear on city-data. The closest thing we can find on here is Rock Island, a little town on the other side of Hwy70S.

We are just down the mountain from Fall Creek Falls. We moved from Naples, where I grew up (5th generation no less!!) and were floored at how cheap everything here is. Our real estate taxes? $300/year. Homeowners insurance? $800 a year. Electric $170. Phone / cable / high speed internet combined $160. Water is high - $100, we were on a well in Florida. Auto insurance $600/year for 2 new vehicles.

So what's it like where we live? Well, we bought a 2550+ square foot 2 story brick home with 5 bedrooms, 2 baths, and 7.25 acres. There's no such thing as an impact fee. You build what you want, when you want, where you want on your land. We have the most amazing mountain view from our front door. I'll try to attach a picture of it.

The neighbors are amazing. Within the first week nearly every neighbor had stopped to say hi and welcome us to the area. They have been of immense help to us from calling a friend that had a chain saw that would clear our land to finding a plumber. You name it.

The schools are incredible. Class sizes are 10 - 12 kids per class. They don't have the gazillions of dollars like Florida did, but they way more than make up for it. The teachers teach because they want to teach. And it shows. They take turns volunteering their time after school to tudor the kids for free.

We've been here since May and have seen prices really going up quick. There are some new developments that are charging a fortune. If you are looking for a gated community style neighborhood you won't get the deal we did. But if you are looking for a nice country home in a rural area with good hard working down to earth God fearing people, pack your bags and get up here now!! Trust me - you wont' regret it!!

Last edited by mrs1885; 10-26-2006 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: Adding attachment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2006, 01:56 PM

5,100 posts, read 8,236,733 times
Hmmm.... ok, attachment didn't work. Try again....

Not working. Well, PM or e-mail me if you want pictures. It's of a sunset over the mountains in my front yard.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:59 AM

338 posts, read 949,276 times
Hey girl-you sound very happy! Good for you! Still waiting to hear about a job--but fingers are crossed!

Old 10-27-2006, 01:32 PM

47 posts, read 190,206 times
Smile Fl > Tn

Hi, mrs1885.
It's nice to have you back on the forums. I wondered how your move went, and how you're liking Tennessee. I'm glad to hear things have worked out so well. It sounds wonderful there. Thanks for the encouragement for those of us wanting to relocate to Tennessee some day.
I, too, am a native Floridian. I just got my homeowner's insurance bill, and it has gone up yet again, even though I'm 65 miles from the coast in North Florida. I hope to retire in four years, and with the insurance and ridiculous property taxes in this county, I can't afford to retire here. My area is becoming more and more developed as those escaping southern and central Florida migrate up here. The wooded areas and farmland are rapidly disappearing. The older I get, the less I can tolerate the heat. Don't like the beach.... love the mountains! Most of this seems to be a familiar refrain from other Floridians or ex-Floridians on this forum.....
My ancestors settled all over East and Middle Tennessee: Winchester, McMinnville, Athens, and near Erwin. I hear the Motherland calling..........
P.S. Ignore the grumps on your post in the Florida forum.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Rai

4 posts, read 8,266 times
Default Hello! Mrs1885

We moved from Rockville Center, Ny to Springhill, Florida to Va and now attempting to move to my hubby homeland Tn. Sounds like you found a great little area to move to how far is that from Knoxville ? I am looking around the pidgeon forge area. How is that area?
Thank you for your imput.
Rai

Old 10-27-2006, 02:51 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,495,786 times
I just had to say that I put input into your post on Florida and if you could answer it that would be great. Oh, I forgot to mention I am in Naples now, looking to move to Tenn!

Old 10-27-2006, 03:10 PM

7,285 posts, read 13,902,428 times
Mrs.1885, I say Welcome TN neighbor! I too moved from Fl, but it was years ago, I LOVE it here too, even though I am much further east in the Tri-Cities. I agree, just ignore the grumps in Fl forum, you are doing what makes you and your family happy, that is what counts!
Again, welcome friend!

Old 10-28-2006, 09:22 AM

132 posts, read 374,015 times
I'm here in Naples also. Born and raised. We have a place a little NE of you outside of Monterey. Was up last week with my dad. Here are a few pics.

Off the back porch

Front of house

Driveway Entrance

West side Porch

Down the road a little.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:33 AM

203 posts, read 542,256 times
WOW! Those are some gorgeous pix. My husband, who is a hunter but hasn't had time the last few years, was drooling over that last one. We're in CA now and I'm trying to convince him to move to TN. That picture may just do the job.

I do have question for you, Mrs1885...the electric and water bills - are those monthly totals? Right now in Northern CA we are paying about 150/mo for gas/electric. We are on a well so the only cost involved with our water usage is the electricity for the pump. I'm really trying to make a good argument for moving because I am sooooo tired of things here in CA, even though I was born and raised here. It's so political in our area that it seems like before long we will have to get permission to cut our hair a certain way.

Thanks again for all the great pictures.

Old 10-28-2006, 12:09 PM

37 posts, read 78,196 times
mrs1885, where is Rock Island? Hi, mbmouse. Still in Orlando. Had my first garage sale to downsize and getting things together for another one. Still looking for a nice house with personality and character with some acreage in NE TN - would sure love to have a creek or stream on the property. The farmhouse I told you about has closed - darn good steal but I missed it by 10min. Linda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee