Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 02:38 PM

359 posts, read 1,636,229 times

Advertisements

Fastfilm, that was an excellent lesson on animal rights people vs animal lovers. Thank you - I feel like I learned something today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2006, 06:40 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times
Thank you GrannyLois! I do like to back things up factually, and could have offered quite a few online references. I love my dogs so much, and have seen my rights to keep them where I live so eroded. Now, can you think of an answer to Christine's original question?

Old 10-27-2006, 08:04 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
Um, ok, that's PETA. I don't belong to PETA, nor do I particularly like PETA although some things they do are good. Please do not judge "animal rights" as PETA! Saying "animal rights" people are fanatic crazed people with an agenda is the same biased uninformed type of thinking that would have people refer to "republicans" as ruthless bigots with no heart! Please!
Of course there are "fanatics" in ANYTHING!!!
There are people who are religious, & there are fanatics who will kill innocent people in the name of their religion.
I am all for animal rights, but I would not go stealing someone's animal friend.
They SHOULD have them spayed/neutered unless they are TOTAL indoor pets.
But that's MY belief. I believe alot of things, but would not harm/steal, etc. because someone disagrees. That would be called terrorism!
But please do not confuse an animal activist - someone who writes letters, and refuses to support companies who take part in animal cruelty (did you know that all the big companies that make household products test on animals?!) - with a fanatic. Just as I do not judge a "christian" as a fanatic.
Thank you!
"Judge not lest thee be judged yourself!" - Metallica, "Holier Than Thou"

Old 10-27-2006, 09:57 PM

408 posts, read 1,978,084 times
[quote=fastfilm;141310]I'm someone who has my husband "ride shotgun" when we drive in the South, saying "Look away" to me for huge numbers of road kill, particularly pets.

Most road kill that I have seen in the past several years is cats. Most places have leash laws for dogs and it seems to have lessened the amount of dogs on the side of the road. Though, I do see them on the interstate from time to time. Like maybe one or two dogs a year. Not like every time I'm on the road.
Most of the other road kill is opposums and racoons. I think with them it has some to do with them mostly coming out at night and they can be hard to see unless your lights hit their eyes.

Old 10-28-2006, 10:16 AM

29 posts, read 83,931 times
Good Morning everyone…

amjb, thank you for your kind comments and support. Thank you for the 5-star rating, unexpected but very much appreciated, you put a smile on my face.

Mbmouse – great suggestion on researching the dog parks!

Mrs1885 – I will contact you – I already feel that I have a friend when I get there. It sounds like the breeder outside of Nashville could also be a hoarder ?– I have only come across a hoarder once and it was terrible. So many rescue groups in New Orleans, including ours unwittingly turned their rescues over to a hoarder who kept the rescued dogs in deplorable conditions. Fortunately, for our group we were able to re-rescue our rescues. It was very sad and chaotic at the time.

Fastfilm – I really appreciate your response. You are very thorough and knowledgeable. I appreciate your thoughtful consideration to the word I was trying to convey.

Elfyum – I apologize if my using the word “fanatic” was bothersome. I am a bit surprised that out of my entire post, this is the word I am being asked to comment on. I was trying to be very careful not to cause attention to anything other than asking if there are any specific areas in TN that should be avoided due to animal cruelty. This is the one and only time I will respond on the subject of the word “fanatic”. I have seen people have to defend their written word on this forum, because one or more people get offended. I think it’s a waste of time.

To me the word “fanatic” has many connotations. Fanatic by its very definition is “ A person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause” This person could also be, zealous, frenzied, intolerant or radical. You view the word as “negative”. I view it as neither negative nor positive. If I considered myself a “fanatic about animal rights”. I would have written that and rather proudly. It is most definitely not a bad thing, just not who I am. I am however, a fanatic about a clean house and you should see the frenzy I go through on Saturday morning…speaking of which I better get busy! And thank you for all that you do for animals!

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to respond to my post. I realize it is just a fact of life and rather unavoidable to be completely immune to it, much like the news of people suffering. I have just found in my travels that in every state there can be areas where this is more prevalent and if at all possible, I would like to avoid them.

I am a member of the Golden Retriever Rescue here in California and did find that Nashville does have a chapter. I will likely continue to volunteer my time with them as well as any other organization worthy of my time. I would like to be part of the community that hears the call for help and is able to assist.

I hope you all have a great weekend.

Old 10-28-2006, 12:18 PM

37 posts, read 121,485 times
mrs1885, I have 6 feral cats that are members of my family and I will not leave them behind when I move from Orlando, FL to somewhere in NE TN. The fun part will be catching each of them, sedating them and putting them in their own carriers - some do not seem to come and eat at the same times. :>) Before you ask, all are neutered and spayed. Any suggestions? Linda

Old 10-28-2006, 01:06 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times
Progradi, good for you. We also have a Golden from GR Rescue in So Cal. I'm glad to now know of Golden Rescue near where we'll be relocating. But we also have purebred sighthound breeds and have shown on and off for the last 30 years, another reason I bridle at "Animal rights" know-nothings chiding us for not having pound dogs instead of our choices. They wouldn't know responsible pet owners if they, dare I say, bit them!

Old 10-30-2006, 10:32 PM

157 posts, read 564,548 times
We just purchased a home in Tn and hopefully will be moving there full time soon from NE. I did notice in our area (southern Tn near the Al border) there are many dogs that do belong to someone but wear no collars of any kind. They are taken care of but could be mistaken for strays. I have a friend who runs a rescue near Nashville who is over run with animals. She also takes dogs from a 99% kill rate in eastern Tn. Unfortunately there is neglect/abuse everywhere but also good people who do everything in their power to help. We have 8 dogs ( most rescues) who will be coming with us (wearing collars). Has anyone seen alot of this in other areas?

Old 10-31-2006, 09:03 AM

10 posts, read 51,111 times
I don't post very often, though I like to read the posts. This issue is near and dear to my heart, however, and I'd like to express my opinion.

My husband and I moved to Middle Tennessee from Illinois 18 months ago. In that time, we've helped over 15 dogs and 2 cats who were injured or 'dumped,' and in one case, two puppies that were tossed from the window of a moving pickup truck. We've placed all put one who has become another in our household. In our area, hunters have been known to lose their dogs or leave them to fend for themselves. We are in the middle of the state and it IS much different closer to the metropolitan areas, but our county is surrounded by 5 counties that have no shelters at all.

There are several groups working to reduce the number of animals through education and financial support. But please be aware that in many cases, animals are not thought of or treated the same way here as they are elsewhere. Having a candid discussion with a dairy farmer here put things into perspective for me. As a member of a group that helps low income people spay and neuter their pets, I can say that many people think that spaying/neutering is cruel and their view of animals is different from mine.

This post is not meant to discourage you, but if someone had told me what to expect, I think I would have been better prepared emotionally when I moved here. I would encourage you to search for rescue groups in your chosen area and talk to them. They are in a perfect postion to be able to help you learn about the lives of companion animals in specific areas. Please come to Tennessee - the more animal lovers the merrier.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:33 AM

38 posts, read 124,335 times
Hi Prgradi,
Many reasons I am moving out of S. Florida to Tennessee, one of which is, except for the doggie park, there are few animal lovers here and alot of breeders trying to make fast money, sick. I have 3 English Bulldogs and a love animals. I live in an apartment and I am looking forward to giving my animals space as well as myself space to breathe. I am still trying to decide which area of TN to move to. I have a generation gap of an elderly disabled mother, young 24 year old animal loving daughter, myself 55 and my loving animals. Maybe we will live close enough to share our love of animals and their rights.
Anika
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee