U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-15-2007, 10:26 AM

41 posts, read 135,830 times

Advertisements

I read that the USDA Hardiness Zones are being revised due to climate change and that while most of Tennessee was formerly in zone 6..... it is in the process to being changed to Zone 7.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 10:33 AM

6,291 posts, read 15,822,862 times
If I remember correctly, it used to be mainly Zone 7, then they changed it to Zone 6. Now I guess they're changing it back. I'm not sure, I could be wrong about this.

When I used to garden, I used another zone map rather than the USDA one because I thought it was more accurate. I think it's the same one that White Flower Farm uses, but I can't remember the source.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:52 PM

7,285 posts, read 14,337,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLARD View Post
The hardiness zone (temperate zone for planting) for most of Tn is in the process of being bumped from 6... to zone 7 (as a result of climate change).
Umm...maybe I am confused but according to every hardiness zone map I have ever seen since living in TN (over 10 years now) has showed me in zone 7. Now is that maybe because I am in North East TN and you are speaking more of west TN? Gotta remember, TN is a lllloooonnnnngggg state.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:00 PM

4,733 posts, read 6,613,187 times
Default Too many variables to carve in stone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
If I remember correctly, it used to be mainly Zone 7, then they changed it to Zone 6. Now I guess they're changing it back. I'm not sure, I could be wrong about this.

When I used to garden, I used another zone map rather than the USDA one because I thought it was more accurate. I think it's the same one that White Flower Farm uses, but I can't remember the source.
I have several hardiness zone maps, all of which have their lines drawn in slightly different areas. I think that it is a matter of opinion of just how hardy some plant species are and then factor in all of the different ways to determine climate for an area - 5 year average? 10 year average? last year's climate?

They get more squiggley than a politician stumping for election time. First, he's here, then there. Take your pick.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:07 PM

41 posts, read 135,830 times
Default clarification

...in the last issue of Progressive Farmer, historically, the Arbor Day Foundation had about 60% of Tn in six and 40% in seven.... now they have done a recent revision and basically the whole state is seven.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:37 PM

7,285 posts, read 14,337,377 times
Oh, Ok. Thanks for the info

Old 12-15-2007, 08:08 PM

9,093 posts, read 21,727,571 times
Sounds good to me! There's a tree they grow in the Philippines that I would loooove to have at my house in Knoxville. If Al Gore's private jet and Belle Meade mansion keep stirring up more global warming, maybe someday I'll be able to have that calamansi tree after all...

Last edited by JMT; 12-15-2007 at 08:32 PM..

Old 12-15-2007, 08:23 PM

Wink Pictures, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Sounds good to me! There's a tree they grow in the Philippines that I would loooove to have at my house in Knoxville. If Al Gore's private jet keeps stirring up more global warming, maybe someday I'll be able to have that calamansi tree after all...
I think I speak for all of us, JMT. We want a picture of that calamansi tree and everything else fascinating that you see while in the Far East.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/70/Calamondin_in_our_front_yard.jpg/240px-Calamondin_in_our_front_yard.jpg (broken link)
Fruit on tree
Does it look like this? Beautiful fruit!

Old 12-15-2007, 08:31 PM

9,093 posts, read 21,727,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
I think I speak for all of us, JMT. We want a picture of that calamansi tree and everything else fascinating that you see while in the Far East.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/70/Calamondin_in_our_front_yard.jpg/240px-Calamondin_in_our_front_yard.jpg (broken link)
Fruit on tree
Does it look like this? Beautiful fruit!
Great picture! Unfortunately, that's not the same thing. Calamansis are green and are about the size of a pingpong ball. You don't eat them, they're VERY bitter and are full of little seeds. But mixed with pure cane sugar they make the most thirst-quenching drink on the planet, and calamansi juice squeezed over seafood is divine. But, alas, they say that calamansi trees can grow only in the Pacific islands. sigh

Old 12-15-2007, 10:45 PM

Perhaps a nice patio plant, JMT. It must be a delicious fruit, albeit a bitter one.

Have a memorable exciting time. We are all traveling vicariously with you. And, I for one, am having a wonderful time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee