Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 05:42 PM

3 posts, read 18,959 times

Advertisements

Yet, another couple from New Jersey that feels this state is out of hand. Looking at a nice property in Iron City with 15 times more land then what we own in NJ for the same price we're paying here. NJ with one acre and TN with 14 acres for the same price!!!! TN is looking great to us!! Need help with information on this city. Schools? Jobs in HAVC and 911 operator and emergency medical tech. Good or bad we would love to know. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 12,988 times
Default Iron City, TN

I can tell you a little about Iron City. We recently bought some property outside of it and have become somewhat familiar with the area. The town is really small; in fact, I'm not sure where the population of 500 is. The only business that I know of is a canoe rental place located on Shoal Creek. The town is surrounded by farmland and hills. Most of the economy seems to be related to farming and timber. There is a bigger town about 5 miles to the east of Iron City called St. Joseph, population around 850,that is located on a Highway that leads to Nashville to the north and Florence, AL to the south. We live in Florence which is considered local to the area, and although in a different state, is only 15 miles down the Hwy. This city is 40,000 or so and part of an area called the Quad cities, combining 4 cities and a population around 100,000. I mention this only to let you know that although Iron City is very small and rural, there are cities fairly close that would have most of what you'd need. We love the southern middle TN area and are in the early stages of building our home there. The land is beautiful and the cost of living affordable.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:15 PM

13 posts, read 93,311 times
Just a little suggestion on the acreage you want.....if you have over 15 acres, you can designate it "green" and pay practically no property tax. You pay tax only on your home + 1 acre.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:34 PM

65 posts, read 371,177 times
Thanks for that information Ridgetop, could you explain a bit more about it, as we have over 35 acres near Collinwood.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:12 PM

13 posts, read 93,311 times
Sorry to not answer right away, did not see your post until now. Call the tax assessor's office in your county and ask for an application for Greenbelt Assessment.........

Old 01-03-2007, 10:40 PM

13 posts, read 70,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtjbrown View Post
Yet, another couple from New Jersey that feels this state is out of hand. Looking at a nice property in Iron City with 15 times more land then what we own in NJ for the same price we're paying here. NJ with one acre and TN with 14 acres for the same price!!!! TN is looking great to us!! Need help with information on this city. Schools? Jobs in HAVC and 911 operator and emergency medical tech. Good or bad we would love to know. Thanks for your help.
Iron City, TN is in Wayne County. It's close proximity to Florence/Muscle Shoals, AL make it, in my opinion, a sleeping giant! There is lots of farm land. It's rolling but no mountains. There's lots of water, etc. No State income taxes make it very appealing. I moved to Wayne County from Atlanta, GA in 1999. Quite an adjustment! However, I soon learned that the schools are excellent and the people are wonderful and caring. Jobs in the emergency field should be less of a problem than other jobs. Jobs are very hard to come by in Wayne County but if you have a profession or a retirement or just plain willing to work...you're okay.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 12,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlou View Post
Iron City, TN is in Wayne County.
Yes, part of the Iron City route is in Wayne County, but the city limits/town of Iron City is in LAWRENCE County, which is where we live. We own the canoe rental here called Shoal Creek Canoe Run. We have lived here since 2000 and owned our business since 1997. My husband, Patrick grew up here. He knows practically everyone since this is a very small area. He is city commissioner. I am from Alabama, but I have definitely grown to love it here and have made many friends. It is a very beautiful and scenic area and I love our business. It is close to many other larger cities, so there are a lot of places to shop, eat, etc. nearby. We have plans on reopening the gas pumps next to our canoe rental and selling gas as well as expanding our business to serve food in the future. I highly recommend Iron City as a great place to live and raise a family.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 13,017 times
Default Iron City

I just found this web site and I'm excited. I grew up in Iron City during the 60's and 70's. The town has lots of history. The oldest thing I remember is the old Drug Store where Mr. Bill Danely would serve us ice cream.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:23 PM

13,905 posts, read 3,378,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter View Post
I just found this web site and I'm excited. I grew up in Iron City during the 60's and 70's. The town has lots of history. The oldest thing I remember is the old Drug Store where Mr. Bill Danely would serve us ice cream.
I'm glad to see someone who grew up in Iron City. My husband and I were right in that area when we were down to Tennesse last month. We were curious about the town. After reading some of this post I went on the web and ended up on a lite with local news. Part of the site was video's you could watch about Iron City. One of the ones I watched was about a Blue's artist that thought Iron City would make a great subject for a song so he went down there. The video talks about "Iron City" being the lawless town in Tennessee. Is this true or just hype. If it's hype it's a shame cause it scared the hell outta me. I was hoping a true native could give me the real facts. Is Iron City really lawless? The website I was at wasn't doing the rep of Iron City much good. Maybe that was by design?

Old 04-20-2007, 08:25 PM

13,905 posts, read 3,378,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrygirl View Post
I'm glad to see someone who grew up in Iron City. My husband and I were right in that area when we were down to Tennesse last month. We were curious about the town. After reading some of this post I went on the web and ended up on a lite with local news. Part of the site was video's you could watch about Iron City. One of the ones I watched was about a Blue's artist that thought Iron City would make a great subject for a song so he went down there. The video talks about "Iron City" being the lawless town in Tennessee. Is this true or just hype. If it's hype it's a shame cause it scared the hell outta me. I was hoping a true native could give me the real facts. Is Iron City really lawless? The website I was at wasn't doing the rep of Iron City much good. Maybe that was by design?
Oh yeah! I forgot to mention the song went "You better know somebody if your coming to Iron City"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee