U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-31-2006, 05:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 17,936,384 times

Advertisements

Every year, the Morgan Quinto Press takes FBI figures (released in June this year for 2005) and publishes a book on the Safest and Most Dangerous Cities in the US. To get ranked, the cities have to have a population of at least 75,000. After the list is published every year, newspapers, police departments and politicians spin the data and the methodology. Predictibly, if your city fares poorly, the methodology is flawed and the study is dumb and if your city does well, you shout it from the rooftops as proof of how wonderful you are.

(Note: I don't have any opinion on the study as I would never live in a place with a population of 75,000 or more for more reasons than just crime considerations but you should keep in mind that if the stats are coming from the FBI it's "reported" crime. As another person in another thread once said, some police departments write up a police report if someone steals a can of beer from your refrigerator in the garage and other police departments won't even take your report for the same act.)

The study's most dagerous cities in the US found these Tennessee cities ranked as follows for Most Dangerous in the US (I believe approximately 371 cities are ranked nationwide):

13. Memphis
39. Nashville
57. Chattanooga
75. Knoxville

In the Knoxville newspaper the police chief predictibly said the methodology was flawed and the newspaper spun it that out of Tennessee's Big 4, Knoxville was Number 4 (in other words, better than the other 3). Didn't check the other Tennessee papers but suspect they are doing their own spin. I did check some of the other newspapers with cities in other states at the top of the list. (Note: St Lous was the worst city per the study.)

In Camden NJ where they were the #1 Worst City in the two previous years, the mayor is saying it made her day to hear her city is no longer Number One (as if coming in at Number 5 is a good thing)

From the Safest List:

166. Murfreesboro
184. Clarksville
297. Knoxville
315. Chattanooga
333. Nashville
359. Memphis

You can read more about it if you go to Google News and type in "Dangerous Cities" or "Safest Cities" as your search term. It will bring up over 500 news articles from newspapers and other media from around the US. Some even publish the Top 25 in both categories.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 10:38 AM

40 posts, read 165,609 times
Default Factors

While I'm still trying to decide between relocating to Nashville or Knoxville this information seems to suggest that if I want a better economy (more jobs) yet live in a safer place, I should live in Murfreesboro area and commute to Nashville area for work.

Although the Knoxville area does represent my political leanings more than Nashville I have to consider the job market.

Am I correct in believing the Nashville area has more and better paying jobs than Knoville?????????????

Old 10-31-2006, 07:14 PM

408 posts, read 1,375,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad123 View Post
While I'm still trying to decide between relocating to Nashville or Knoxville this information seems to suggest that if I want a better economy (more jobs) yet live in a safer place, I should live in Murfreesboro area and commute to Nashville area for work.

Although the Knoxville area does represent my political leanings more than Nashville I have to consider the job market.

Am I correct in believing the Nashville area has more and better paying jobs than Knoville?????????????
I guess it could depend on what field you are in, but I haven't really noted a big difference in pay between the two. There are lots of jobs in Knoxville, but there are more in Nashville. That's because Nashville is bigger and has more people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee