Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 02:17 PM

10 posts, read 42,685 times

Advertisements

I'll try that Alleycat. You all are being very helpful. Thank you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 02:22 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMav View Post
That sounds perfect, JoAnn. We will certainly check that out. But I thought Manchester was in that area and somebody else posted that it was flat???? Maybe Franklin is more west?
I think you're confusing Franklin County with Franklin city. Franklin County is near Manchester and Huntsville (AL). Franklin city is next to Nashville.

I hope that helps.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:21 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
Decatur County is, iirc, on the Tennessee River, southeast of Henderson County. There's not much to do around there unless you really like to go fishing.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:44 AM

557 posts, read 1,674,194 times
Quote:
Hi all.....we are looking to move to TN in about 18 months and are trying to decide on an area. We are looking toward middle to western part of state but would like some hills/scenery. We are coming from FL. Husband retires from Navy at that time and would be good to not be too far from a military base. Also, I work for DOD and might need to continue working with Fed. Gov't. Plan to possibly build log home on 10 or more acres. We chose TN because we have family in FL, AL, KS, AZ, IL, MN, WV and trying to get centrally located to all. Any suggestions/ helpful hints? Places to avoid? Thanks in advance for any input....
Lincoln County is where you want to be. It is a beautiful area, acreage is readily available (but plan to spend $5k per acre for 10 acres+). In southern Lincoln, you are only about 30 min from Redstone Arsenal, which has great facilities (PX, commissary, etc.). Thousands of federal jobs in Huntsville and more coming by 2011 due to BRAC. It's well worth the trip up there to look around. I used to live in Fayetteville (county seat of Lincoln) and absolutely loved it. It broke my heart to have to move.

If you are interested in that area, just one note of caution: due to the massive expected influx from BRAC moves, land prices are sure to continue increasing (have tripled in the last 10 years). The sooner you buy, the better off you'll be.

Last edited by jsherman9901; 01-08-2008 at 10:50 AM..

Old 01-09-2008, 02:51 PM

Thanks jsherman. We will certainly check out the area when we go on our land scouting trip in February. Sounds really nice.

Appreciate the warning Strumpeace. Love nature but we're not really into fishing and would like to be somewhat near to civilization just not with tons of traffic (like our very congested FL).

Old 01-10-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks jsherman. We will certainly check out the area when we go on our land scouting trip in February. Sounds really nice.
I would especially recommend the Coldwater area, which is southwest of Fayetteville on State Hwy 274. Very, very easy drive to Huntsville and Redstone Arsenal. Land prices are higher there because it is beautiful and close to Huntsville, but it is worth it IMO.

Somebody else mentioned Franklin County but that would be over an hour's drive away from the base in Huntsville. There is a small Air Force base in Tullahoma, which is close to Manchester, but the facilities there are almost nonexistent.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:55 PM

[quote=jsherman9901;2478685]I would especially recommend the Coldwater area, which is southwest of Fayetteville on State Hwy 274. Very, very easy drive to Huntsville and Redstone Arsenal. Land prices are higher there because it is beautiful and close to Huntsville, but it is worth it IMO.

You've been very helpful, jsherman. We have been lost trying to figure out an area to start searching. We will check out that area and take a look at jobs at Redstone and Huntsville.

Anybody know about Fort Campbell area? Cost of land, crime, etc? We might take a look at both areas when we come through in Feb.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:14 PM

[quote=MCMav;2479413
Anybody know about Fort Campbell area? Cost of land, crime, etc? We might take a look at both areas when we come through in Feb.[/QUOTE]

You might want to use the search function for threads about Clarksville, TN. There was a short thread recently, the last post was the 7th, I believe.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:04 AM

39 posts, read 85,952 times
Just interested in what you liked about Fayetteville. We might have a chance to relocate there. I have never been there so all I know about it it what I've read on the internet. Would apreciate your input. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherman9901 View Post
Lincoln County is where you want to be. It is a beautiful area, acreage is readily available (but plan to spend $5k per acre for 10 acres+). In southern Lincoln, you are only about 30 min from Redstone Arsenal, which has great facilities (PX, commissary, etc.). Thousands of federal jobs in Huntsville and more coming by 2011 due to BRAC. It's well worth the trip up there to look around. I used to live in Fayetteville (county seat of Lincoln) and absolutely loved it. It broke my heart to have to move.

If you are interested in that area, just one note of caution: due to the massive expected influx from BRAC moves, land prices are sure to continue increasing (have tripled in the last 10 years). The sooner you buy, the better off you'll be.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:27 AM

13 posts, read 58,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRobin4564 View Post
Just interested in what you liked about Fayetteville. We might have a chance to relocate there. I have never been there so all I know about it it what I've read on the internet. Would apreciate your input. Thank you.
I don't know what all you think is so great about Fayetteville. I've lived in Lincoln County for all of my 30 years. Fayetteville is a hick town that refuses to keep up with progress. There is currently a move to go metro which onthe ballot for the February 5 primary. If that happens you can count on higher property cost and and property taxes for less services. It should say something about metro when it has been an option in TN for over 40 years and only three counties have opted for it.
another thing you need to know about Lincoln County is the good ol boy government. What I mean is there is a resteraunt owner on the county commission. HIs resteraunt is one of the nastiest places you'll ever eat but because he is well known throughout the county, it stays open somehow and he gets re elected. As a result, he has a lot of influence over allowing chains of resteraunts coming into the community.
Another is a building supply store which is family owned. You will not see a lowes or home depot come to fayetteville anytime soon because this family has a ton of influence as well.
walmart has run every major grocery store out of town. the only other option you have in a dollar general market, save a lot and a locally owned foodland. the foodland is where all the little blue hairs go and the aisles are so narrow if someone is slower than you or stopped, you just have to wait.
there is a wheel tax is place to that was adopted to fund a football stadium for the new high school.....in 1980. it you are not a football fan, which I am, you will be an outsider in lincoln county. it is a religion here
If you are looking for retail shopping, it is not in Fayetteville unless you are go to Walmart, Farmer's Co-op. Tractor Supply, Goodwill, Dollar General or Family Dollar. There is a Peebles but that is about as "upscale" as it gets. OH and don't forget the umpteen million antique stores on the square. OMG!! Antiques, or junk, as far as you can see!! If you are looking for shopping the good news is you are less than 30 minutes from Huntsville and about an hour from Nashville.
One movie theater with two screens.
OH, no jobs. Be prepared to commute to Huntsville or Nashville.
I just see all you people making Fayetteville sound like it is something great and I am here to tell you, it is not. IT is a hole in the wall that is TRYING to LOOK like a diamond, but when you start looking around, any fool will see it is just a bubble gum machine piece of play jewelry. Listen to someone who has lived and worked here all my life and has seen what real progress looks like in communities like Shelbyville, Tullahoma, Pulaski, Columbia and Franklin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee