Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 03:41 PM

10 posts, read 42,685 times

Advertisements

Hi all.....we are looking to move to TN in about 18 months and are trying to decide on an area. We are looking toward middle to western part of state but would like some hills/scenery. We are coming from FL. Husband retires from Navy at that time and would be good to not be too far from a military base. Also, I work for DOD and might need to continue working with Fed. Gov't. Plan to possibly build log home on 10 or more acres. We chose TN because we have family in FL, AL, KS, AZ, IL, MN, WV and trying to get centrally located to all. Any suggestions/ helpful hints? Places to avoid? Thanks in advance for any input....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 04:29 PM

38 posts, read 190,390 times
Avoid West TN, move to Middle TN. Memphis is crime ridden and economically declining. Middle TN is upscale and growing.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:22 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
I wouldn't say Memphis is economically declining at all, nor not upscale. We have a lot of crime in certain areas of town, areas that you wouldn't be living in. There are plenty of very nice areas of Memphis. There is also a Navy base right north of town in Millington. You could easily live outside of Memphis, by the base, and then drive into town whenever you wanted to do "big city" things Memphis has a lot to offer, and if you could get land maybe within an hour of town, that seems like a perfect deal for you. We're right on the corner of TN, AR, and MS, so you could easily move anwhere in the area. We're about 2.5 hours from Nashville, so also maybe consider living in between the 2 cities.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:23 PM

I appreciate the input. I think I heard from somebody else that Memphis had a lot of crime. Some of the land we saw online is between Memphis and Nashville, but also saw some interesting just NE of Nashville and the first place we were interested in was Manchester (S of Nashville) but it looked pretty flat. It's hard to tell sometimes by the pictures.

Does anybody know anything about Decatur Co? We saw some interesting land there. My Dad thinks $3000 per acre is too much(he's in WV) and I laugh. The 1 acre lot across from us (NE FL) will sell for about $45000, I think.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:18 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMav View Post
I appreciate the input. I think I heard from somebody else that Memphis had a lot of crime. Some of the land we saw online is between Memphis and Nashville, but also saw some interesting just NE of Nashville and the first place we were interested in was Manchester (S of Nashville) but it looked pretty flat. It's hard to tell sometimes by the pictures.
It is relatively flat from Manchester up through McMinnville, but the area to the west and around Normandy Lake is pretty hilly.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:32 PM

129 posts, read 456,634 times
Quote:
Hi all.....we are looking to move to TN in about 18 months and are trying to decide on an area. We are looking toward middle to western part of state but would like some hills/scenery. We are coming from FL. Husband retires from Navy at that time and would be good to not be too far from a military base. Also, I work for DOD and might need to continue working with Fed. Gov't. Plan to possibly build log home on 10 or more acres. We chose TN because we have family in FL, AL, KS, AZ, IL, MN, WV and trying to get centrally located to all. Any suggestions/ helpful hints? Places to avoid? Thanks in advance for any input....

Since you want to live in a PRETTY area with some hills, then I'd suggest places EAST of Nashville. It's an easy drive into Nashville if you're east or southeast of Nashville via either I-40 or I-24. I would suggest looking at Cookeville (I'm kinda' jaded since I live here!).....one question, why the need to be close to a base?

Old 01-06-2008, 06:30 PM

Thanks, Alleycat. I thought it looked pretty flat there.

Weather Guy....we don't have to be near a base but it would be nice for shopping and medical. If it had a golf course my husband could utilize it and it would likely be cheaper than anywhere else. Being retired Navy we would have benefits. Also, if I need to continue working with Fed Gov't I would have a better chance of getting another job. We will certainly take a look at Cookeville. Appreciate your help.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:53 AM

451 posts, read 1,371,345 times
Check out Southern middle Tn. Franklin County has mtns, lakes, hills.... and is very close to Huntsville, AL and it's military base Redstone Arsenal.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:41 AM

That sounds perfect, JoAnn. We will certainly check that out. But I thought Manchester was in that area and somebody else posted that it was flat???? Maybe Franklin is more west?

Old 01-07-2008, 11:14 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Quote:
That sounds perfect, JoAnn. We will certainly check that out. But I thought Manchester was in that area and somebody else posted that it was flat???? Maybe Franklin is more west?
Go to a Google map for Tennessee and turn "terrain" on. You be able to see what areas are hilly and which are not. Most of Middle Tennessee is rolling hills, but there's a few "valley" areas that are flat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee