Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2014, 11:08 AM

18 posts, read 17,911 times

Advertisements

I plan of moving out of FL next year, and Tennessee keeps on popping up on my screen due to lower cost of living/business infrastructure costs/etc.

Out of Knoxville, Chattanooga and Nashville, does one of these towns stand out as being more dynamic as far as being more technologically oriented? (I understand Nashville will have Google fiber soon)

Is the climate significantly different between these towns?

Last question: my research requires having close access to rivers/streams/lakes. Does one town offer a broader choice of water bodies than others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 01:08 PM

104 posts, read 189,683 times
I'm moving to Nashville later this year to launch a tech startup. They have a really good business incubator program in addition to sufficient infrastructure for our needs. The caveat is that they have a 6.5% corporate income tax in TN but we got around that by registering in Wyoming and will just pay sales tax in TN.

Knoxville is a great town but it's a college town, not a major metro area. As such, it may not have everything you're looking for.

I can't comment on Chattanooga as I've never been there.

Good luck with the business!

Old 12-10-2014, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the tip, especially the registration. Probably will register mine in DE.
College town is actually good since college kids tend to be early adaptors. Or at least they would know that the can't eat a Raspberry Pi.
As long as I have solid internet access, I'm good!

Old 12-10-2014, 02:01 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,726,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Odeep View Post
Thanks for the tip, especially the registration. Probably will register mine in DE.
College town is actually good since college kids tend to be early adaptors. Or at least they would know that the can't eat a Raspberry Pi.
As long as I have solid internet access, I'm good!
Nashville is a bigger college town than Knoxville. While Knoxville has the state's largest university (U.T.), Nashville has Vanderbilt, TSU, Belmont, Lipscomb, Fisk, and others. In addition, MTSU, which is almost as big as U.T., is in Nashville's metro area (Murfreesboro).

Nashville may be getting Google internet, but Chattanooga already has its own gigabit internet: Chattanooga Gig: Your Gig is Here.

All three cities offer the rivers/streams/lakes you're looking for. Nashville and Chattanooga are closer to large lakes than Knoxville. All three cities are located on large, navigable rivers.

My personal preference would go: Nashville -> Chattanooga -> Knoxville

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 12-11-2014, 10:45 AM

Thank you JMT. I gets lots of raw video footage from clients so that Gig setup would save me a lot of time.

BTW, any of these rivers going through the cities have decent visibility/clear or are they more like very green/muddy waters?

Thank again

Old 12-11-2014, 04:48 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,202,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Nashville may be getting Google internet, but Chattanooga already has its own gigabit internet: Chattanooga Gig: Your Gig is Here.
EPB's basic service is 100Mbps (the max speed of standard 10/100 routers and computers) at $58/month, but the price for full Gbps service is a whopping $70/month. Epbfi.com. The main difference is that most people will have to upgrade their in-home routers and wireless cards to take advantage of the speed gain. Also, the advertised speed is from EPB servers to your home; you'll most likely be throttled by whatever web site you're trying to connect to plus any nodes outside the Chattanooga area.

I have the basic service with an HD-TV DVR and absolutely love it. And because of the extreme competition from EPB, Comcast and AT&T have stepped up the standard Cable and DSL options in the area. You can't get a more solid area for internet connectivity than Chattanooga. And since you like colleges, UT's Chattanooga campus is downtown (much smaller than the main Knoxville campus, but still a decent-sized full university), plus Chatt State and a few other small community colleges.

Near Knoxville is the OakRidge National Laboratory, which is a technology hub in and of itself.

Rivers/lakes/streams: Chattanooga and Knoxville have or are near a more diverse variety than Nashville. All three are in wide basins/valleys with a primary navigable waterway and surrounded by rolling hills and ridges. Nashville is on the Cumberland River, and Chattanooga and Knoxville are on the Tennessee River. Knoxville is near the confluence of several major rivers (Clinch, Emory, Little Tennessee, Holston, French Broad), and both Chatt and Knox are near mountains with plenty of streams and waterfalls.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:30 AM

Thank you JW.
While having colleges nearby are great for software development, I also have a hardware side that requires easy access to metal CNC/fabricators, anodizers/powdercoating ,etc.

The overwhelming reason as far as relocating to TN is that as a start-up, I need to run very lean. TN fits the bill. I need my expenses (housing/office/Cost of Living) as low as possible. The second requirement is having access to streams/rivers/lakes with very good underwater visibility and decent aquatic life (trout/etc). And of course, high bandwidth.

After doing more research on Chattanooga, I found the crime level to be astonishingly high. While I'm sure it's not city wide, it's enough to send a red flag. Don't know yet if it is a 100% deterrent, but I would hate to get to the office and realize that all my inventory/office stuff just got stolen.

The best flight fare to CA/NY/TX are of course coming out of Nashville. Knoxville seems to be about a 45m further away then Chattanooga. I was surprised to see all these flights to be well under $300 round trip. That's as good as it gets...

Both Chattanooga and Knoxville seem to offer better access to streams/rivers. I think rent may be cheaper in these two cities vs Nashville. Actually, if I could find a cabin with solid internet service and a clear trout stream and close to any of these three cities, that would be ideal...

Is the climate significantly different between these three cities?

Thanks again for all your input
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee