Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 08:09 AM

3 posts, read 7,836 times

Advertisements

Whats up,
I am currently looking at both Lee University and Middle Tennessee State University. I have narrowed down some pros and cons:

Lee University Pros:
1. Christian school.
2. Awesome part of Tennessee (close to Chattanooga, Knoxville, Gatlinburg, and the mountains).
3. Awesome culture among the students.
4. Awesome student and spiritual life.
5. Awesome business department (what I would most likely major in).
6. Would be leaving my home town.
7. Awesome and engaging admissions department.
8. Slick campus and atmosphere.

Lee University Cons:
1. No programs for audio engineering.
2. Tuition is $4000 more a year than MTSU.
3. Okay communications department (second possible major).
4. Programs are still being developed.

MTSU Pros:
1. Cheaper tuition.
2. More variety of majors and minors to pick from.
3. Pretty nice campus (not as nice as Lee).
4. Tons of connections.
5. Wouldn't have to move money from local bank to national bank.
6. Wouldn't have to quit my job.
7. Tons of clubs.
8. Great mass com, audio engineering, and business departments.

MTSU Cons:
1. Crime.
2. It's in Murfreesboro, TN (hometown) aka MurfreesBORING.
3. It is close to home, but I want to get away.
4. Again, campus is nice, BUT not as nice as UT's or Lee's campus.
5. I wouldn't be able to reestablish myself, because I would have to see some of the same people that I have known for a while, because alot of them are at or going to MTSU.
6. Not a Christian school, but there are Christian clubs like CRU or the BCM.
7. Not set on the atmosphere of MTSU.
8. Very big school, which I don't mind, but would prefer something smaller.

It's obvious that both schools have pros and cons, but it's so hard to decide. Based on your information and my feelings towards both schools, which school should I commit to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 01:33 PM

506 posts, read 1,474,202 times
I think you're approaching it somewhat wrong.

The main thing is your (1) total debt load and (2) your likelihood of finding a job after your education that will allow you to pay this debt.

What kind of job do you want? There really aren't too many audio engineering jobs available. Do some research to see what companies hire from these programs. Are there companies actually hiring in this field? If so, do they come to campus?

Where do you want to work? Both will limit your job search to the surrounding areas, most likely.

Honestly, MTSU is the smarter choice financially (lower cost, get to keep job) and is actually likely a better investment. The job market in Nashville is much larger and stronger than Cleveland, TN. Good luck.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:19 PM

712 posts, read 1,486,957 times
I actually think that the poster is approaching this in a very comprehensive way.

A very important part of college is the experience that you receive, the college atmosphere, and the amount that you are forced to mature during the process. You want to look back at your college years, as i can, and say that they were some of the best years of your life (and no, I do not mean partying). Debt loan is a very important consideration, but it is by no means the most important. Likewise, finding a job is always important. But when most people do not get a job in their major field of study, it is simply false that it is the most important factor. For example, a business major can take you directions that you do not anticipate as a incoming freshman.

One factor that I do think that you are over-emphasizing is the level of engagement of the admissions department at Lee. That is simply because they are smaller. The faculty will likely be more engaging too. I am biased towards the TBR institutions such as MTSU, as I believe that they are able to attract faculty with greater credentials than universities such as Lee and I believe that campus life can be better.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:30 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,355,887 times
Lee being in Cleveland isn't going to be more exciting than Murfreesboro. You'll have to go to Chattanooga just like here you'd have to go to Nashville.

Just a thought. Chattanooga is a great city though. I was there this past weekend.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:47 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,238,589 times
Another factor I think you may be over-emphasizing is "Christian School". I went to school to learn engineering; I go to church to learn about God.

You will find just as many heathens attending at Christian School as you will find at a secular school. The University I attended was completely dry, but you could find underage drinking anytime you wanted to.

Based on your criteria, my answer would be straightforward: MTSU.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:27 PM

222 posts, read 638,782 times
I went to Lee University and MTSU. I liked my time at Lee, but I would choose MTSU, especially in your situation.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:05 PM

506 posts, read 1,474,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
I actually think that the poster is approaching this in a very comprehensive way.

A very important part of college is the experience that you receive, the college atmosphere, and the amount that you are forced to mature during the process.
I agree that is an important aspect, but college degrees these days are a dime a dozen. Everyone has one and most people have graduate degrees; I know plenty still working retail/service jobs for 10 bucks an hour. It is just not advisable to take on 6 figures of debt to attend somewhere like Lee University because they have "engaging" faculty. That's nonsense and likely financial suicide (FYI OP: student loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy) because you are highly unlikely to get the kind of job to pay off that kind of debt from a tiny unheard of liberal arts school.

Quote:
But when most people do not get a job in their major field of study, it is simply false that it is the most important factor. For example, a business major can take you directions that you do not anticipate as a incoming freshman.
Disagreed. I was a business major and it is not some magic degree that will open a lot of doors. I am also a law school graduate and can assure it does not open a lot of other doors. These are both myths. If you go to a top school then sure, but as it applies to OP for the schools he is considering, it is not true. Not to mention audio engineering is a pretty narrow/niche major. Honestly, it would probably be much more advisable to get an engineering degree (civil, mechanical, etc.) from a school you really enjoy with a reasonable debt load and then do audio engineering at a technical school if possible, but just a thought.

I am not saying do not take any of those things into account; I am just saying going to college now is not like it used to be. Everyone goes--college graduates are very disposable so having a concrete plan about realistic outcomes is absolutely necessary, especially when you are taking on a large amount of debt. There are simply not enough jobs for as many graduates are being produced.

Best of luck!

Old 01-18-2015, 03:56 PM

9,677 posts, read 9,373,219 times
Make your decision based on economic outlook. How much will your degree factor into getting a good job (a job you like and one that pays well), and how much you can afford to live on? The best advice is to job shadow or volunteer in the field you are thinking about to see what the day to day job experience entails. The college experience is far less important than making the most of your money. Potential employers could care less about how many clubs you joined or who was homecoming queen. They want to know that you have the skills and experience to perform the job. Save your money and go to MTSU.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:54 AM

410 posts, read 802,492 times
I don't know Lee University. I only know MTSU through their sports program. If the progressive nature of their education program is anything like their success in football, it's got to be a good school. As with all things in life, it's what YOU make of it. Sometimes, being able to have your cake and eat it too is a rare recipe for success. With MTSU you keep your job, keep your bank, keep your connections and through less expensive tuition, keep some of your money.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee