U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 04:18 PM

6,291 posts, read 15,866,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Maybe it's because I live here, but I don't construe most of these posts as dry Tennessee humor.
Me either . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 04:24 PM

125 posts, read 425,508 times
Ha ha...I have a sense of humor. I like all type of personalities--dry humor, witty, sarcastic...no bother to me. In the end, we all can roast marshmallows over the campfire before bed.

I read my questions over again and I could have expressed my feelings much better. Seriously did not mean to disrespect anyone living in a rural location.

I realize my questions seemed rather base in nature, but I was looking for the notes between the beats. Because TN doesn't have the same high tax structure CA does, it seemed somewhat rational to ask about specific services. I penned those thoughts after looking at the first property with the mobile home on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere. At least that's the way to photo made it look. Keep in mind the population numbers I shared below.
Mfd/Mobile Home - 297 FUSS HOLLOW RD, Petersburg, TN, 37144 - Realtor.com

yarddawg replied favorably and I thank you. Also, those who gave a word of caution...yes...very wise advice. I like the idea of renting for a year.

I mentioned I lived in a very small town in Indiana, so I do have an idea of a different lifestyle. However, I have lived in an area that has about 3 million people in a 50 mile radius, so there will be a culture shock. My last visit to TN over the summer I kept thinking, "Where are all the people at the mall...is it a holiday?" It was very refreshing.

My last year of teaching I had seven different languages spoken in my classroom. This also represented those various cultures. Because of this, everything is reduced to the lowest common denominator and the pace of communication is at least 30% slower.

The profession of education takes a very different route with so many cultures in one classroom--cultures who for the most part do not want to adopt to a unified language and lifestyle. Thus the teacher becomes like Gumby, stretching so far left and right it becomes difficult to accomplish goals and objectives. This was my experiences.

The more sarcastic responses actually have made me reflect on why I want to move. I have come out of a bad relationship and want a change in my life. I am tired of a lot of things and have asked myself when is a good time to make a lifestyle change. How long do I have to sit on things before moving without it be an emotional reaction?

As for people in general...good folks hang with good folks. Bad folks hang with bad folks...it's the same anywhere. Some in So Cal have a sarcastic tone running in the opposite direction, thinking the south is haven of Beverly Hillbillies carrying jugs of XXX liquor.

One major difference however is taking a wrong turn or having your car break down on the freeway and pulling off in a gang saturated area. Happened to me over Thanksgiving a few years back. Within minutes I was in East LA with almost no one speaking English. If you watched the movie Grand Canyon there was a scene illustrating this well. Yet, even in this area, a helpful couple took the time to assist. We drove all over looking for an open autoparts store with no verbal communication due to the language differences. There are good people everywhere and that couple was a blessing.

So, I do thank ALL of you for sharing... Very helpful, and any other bliss and blisters of TN livin' is welcome!

Joe

Last edited by Pocketplayer; 01-11-2008 at 04:49 PM..

Old 01-11-2008, 04:31 PM

322 posts, read 626,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

I'm pretty sure that the phone company will sell you DSL anyway, no matter where you live, but be warned that if you're out in the sticks it might not be much faster than normal dial-up.
Nah, once you get past a certain distance from the substation it won't even connect. I've heard three miles thrown around as a number but I'm not sure how accurate that is. I'm able to have fast DSL for two reasons. I live near a substation associated with a set of microwave repeater towers and due to a dispute a few years ago between the phone company and the power company over pole rent I have fiber optic from the substation to within a few hundred feet of my house.

2mares - if you check with the phone company they'll probably be able to tell you if DSL is available just from your address. You might also want to find out where the nearest substation is though. If it's more than a couple of miles from your house or the phone lines in the area are really old you may have some performance problems even if you can get it.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 14 days ago)

21,686 posts, read 32,168,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
At least that's how the phone company explained it to me when I complained about my slow DSL speed when I lived in rural Knox County and was trying to save a few bucks. Now I use Comcast cable and LOVE it.

I'm pretty sure that the phone company will sell you DSL anyway, no matter where you live, but be warned that if you're out in the sticks it might not be much faster than normal dial-up.
I am amazed that they told you the truth! That is exactly right.

I've done tech support for dial-up, DSL and cable internet.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 14 days ago)

21,686 posts, read 32,168,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketplayer View Post
I have come out of a bad relationship and want a change in my life. I am tired of a lot of things and have asked myself when is a good time to make a lifestyle change. How long do I have to sit on things before moving without it be an emotional reaction?
Yes, Joe. Beware of the knee-jerk reaction.

I lived in a town of 14,000 people for 34 years. I moved around a bit for the next 12 years. I know realize, in the long run, I'll be happy with a town of about that size. A little less or a little more.

We're comfortable with what we know.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:01 PM

12 posts, read 48,266 times
1) Septic tank is no big deal. We just use toilet paper that says "Safe for Septic Tanks". You're not suppose to dump bleach down the drain because it will kill the bacteria that are needed. I've also heard that it's a good idea not to put a lot of food down the drain. You do have to plan to have money for it's upkeep, just like a CH&A unit.

The trash is something I like about Tennessee, because they have FREE landfill service, called convenience centers. (I have lived in states that make you pay to take your trash to the landfill.) You take it there yourself. As far as having someone pick it up from the curb, that is an option in most rural areas, but not free. TN's recycling centers are pretty good, too. When we moved here, I found a place to take my recycling at http://www.earth911.org .

2) Internet depends on how rural you are talking, but you'd be surprised at how many tiny local phone companies offer DSL. If not, and you don't want dial-up, you can always get satellite internet. Electricity, phone, and mail should all be ready to go at those houses you listed, just a matter of paying deposits and switching it into your name.

3) If your car broke down, you'd definitely need a friend to take you to the auto parts place. Otherwise, you might have to pay a good bit for a tow truck. There are no taxis out where you're looking Although, most people in a rural area are very understanding and it would be likely that a local mechanic would be glad to help you out.

Food... You will not have much variety at all as far as eating out. I'm talking about being happy with Sonic burgers. You will have to drive a long way to eat anything like you'd be use to in CA. The nearby grocery store will have a very limited variety of items from what you are use to. If this is okay, then you could go to the store more often. Otherwise, you are talking about a driving trip to a larger grocery store, so I guess you would want to stock up for a couple of weeks on the harder to find items. One good thing is the access to buying from a local farm co-op or CSA to have delicious, fresh food (http://www.localharvest.org).

4) You will be in heaven compared to CA! CNN Money says the average property tax in Lewisburg, TN in 2006 was $761.

5) If the property you buy has electric heat, you might consider a back-up source like a propane tank, in case there's a power outage. You might also consider a water filter, but I don't know if this is an different than living anywhere else. Where we live, we have received 2 letters in 3 years from the water company telling us that the water was briefly over limit for animal waste bacteria. Also, you should consider the travel time to an emergency room.

From the areas you mentioned of interest, I would suggest looking around Lynnville. If I had the luxury of living that rural, I would definitely look there. It's one of the most beautiful areas I have ever seen! Plus, it's not too far from Lewisburg or Columbia for shopping, eating out, doctors, etc.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:51 AM

13 posts, read 42,572 times
the particular property you referenced in Petersburg on Fuss Hollow Rd, I know EXACTLY where it is. IF you want rural, you found the right one!! It is about as rural as you can get. There are other homes around it, but not right on top of each other. Do a googlemaps search of it and use the aerial view feature. A few things you need to know about this particular property.
no public water...well water, may very well be sulpher water. good news, no water bill. bad news, we have been in extended drought conditions for a couple years. ground water levels are low and a lot of wells around here have gone dry.
garbage pickup...I am 90% sure it is available there, but not what you are used to. Most likely a guy with a pickup truck with high sides. He'll charge you around $35-$40 a month to haul you garbage to the dump. You can do this yourself for free. From that property it is close to a 30 minute drive to the dump but it is free.
internet...dialup..period. DSL is not available all the way out there
electricity..no problem...but like was posted earlier, if you are looking to build, outside that 100' range you will have to bear the enitre cost of installation.
mail...not a problem
believe it or not, the location of this particular property you are closer to a major interstate highway than you are to the county seat of Fayetteville.
my suggestion to you, as ha sort of been alluded to already, take a week, fly into Nashville. Rent a car and drive down here. JUst drive around and check it out. I am local to all the properties you have referred to. I'd be more than glad to show you around. IF rural is what you are looking for, you are on the right track.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:11 AM

Default Holy Cow

squrepeg & corey...WOW! Tremendous information. I can't believe you know that property corey. Small world or what!

For that price, I could even buy for a vacation home (might not be appreciated by locals however), yet it is on 5 acres so I assume there are no kids playing in the streets nearby. lol

I agree again with the touring of the area. I have a very close friend just outside Brentwood who just bought a small farm house on 10 acres. I have visited every summer for years which got me interested in TN and its beauty.

Thanks again for reading between the line and offer insights to the basics like water and power...I know might be a silly question for some, but it's just something I never considered in the city because, well, you basically turn knobs and push buttons. Septic tank info helps a lot and no DSL is insightful. I look forward to the learning curve in all of this, and if you all are this friendly over the Net, that is very encouraging as well.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:56 PM

7,285 posts, read 14,377,949 times
Default Off topic a bit but just have to say it!

I have to say after reading this thread that I am so honored and proud to be a Tennessean......... even if that is by way of a few other states and marriage.LOL!
If this op had started a thread like this in just about any other state forum, they would have not gotten one straight answer and a whole lot of flack.
He was a guy posting honest questions in his mind and y'all answered them even though the way they were written really fell into the typical TN stereotyping that so many that have never been here have. Not saying that was his intentions by any means, but y'all stepped up and answered this guy honestly and took his concerns for what they were, real and his.
Ok, so there were a few wise guys who could just not help themselves, but for the most part you guys just stepped up and helped.
All I can say is I am so grateful that y'all are my neighbors and friends, good group for sure!
A true testament as to why this state is so great, it is the people for sure!

Old 01-12-2008, 10:24 PM

I agree mbmouse ...wise guys and all. Wise guys make vacations fun!

...and for the record;
He was a guy posting honest questions in his mind and y'all answered them even though the way they were written really fell into the typical TN stereotyping that so many that have never been here have. Not saying that was his intentions by any means...

...it wasn't my intentions. I know I could have written them questions better. But a thought here--those who do think people run around in shorts and everyone has ten kids in TN are the same who think movie stars walk along the sidewalks and earthquakes will devour you every year in CA. In the end it keeps people out of TN and CA.

If I lived in TN, I might be slightly worried that people are starting to catch on to how beautiful a state you have. I've heard TN is the new retirement state now that some fear hurricanes in the deeper south. A man on a plane who lives in TN told me this on my last visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee