Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,119 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! !!!!We are relocating to TN this summer, ,we are taking a trip there in may to check out some cities, ,but before we make the trip, i wanted to ask you guys some questions!! I am looking for a city that gets least amount of snow, and tornadoes!!! We are looking for land but with city living not to far........i like to shop and go out to eat etc and we have a teenage boy lol! !!! We are a middle class family, so iam also looking for affordable cost of living cities as well! !! I know its a lot!!!! Iam doing tons of research as well, but would love to hear from people who actually live there! !!! Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you all for your time! !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 02:58 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
What grade is your son in?

What kind of jobs will you have?

What is your housing budget?

Old 03-08-2015, 03:23 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,032,956 times
I am definitely not an expert on TN, but from what I learned during my search for an area to call home in TN, the snow and tornado factors seem to work against each other. The more east you go the more snow and less tornado activity and the more west you go the less snow and more tornado activity.

Probably lots of exceptions folks with more knowledge can tell you about.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:42 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,356 times
Ooltewah, TN. Close to the mall, Hamilton Place largest mall in TN, or was. Large variety of restaurants to eat at. Number one in schools. Jobs are a hit & miss. Lots of low pay jobs, Blue collar is dependent upon your skills/education level. Lot's of temp service work by low in the benefits. Lot's of hunting/fishing in the area. Best of luck...

Ooltewah, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.city-data.com/city/Ooltewah-Tennessee.html

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 03-13-2015 at 07:56 AM..

Old 03-10-2015, 02:37 PM

410 posts, read 802,784 times
Hi. I'm always going to recommend my hometown of Memphis. The area has a lot to offer. The outer areas can be as close as you want to the city, but yet far enough away. We get snow on the average of once every 3 - 4 years. Generally speaking, it's a dusting. This year, we got about 4". It lasted a few days and then the temps went back up into the 40's and 50's and it's mostly gone. Today it's in the high 50's. This week it will be in the 60's.

As for tornado's, I can recall one and it was back in 94. We might get some high winds which caused some damage. it was back on 2003 and affectionately called Hurricane Elvis. While about 300,000 homes were left without power for varying times, there were two related deaths. Otherwise, I don't recall much else.

Tennessee is a great place to live. Friendly people, great food, excellent music, and lots of good entertainment. A great State left to right!

Old 03-11-2015, 12:11 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
The places in TN that do get more snow tend to be higher elevation, and not many people live that high up in the mountains. I am in the Knoxville area and we get an average of six inches all year. Im sure youll find the same thing around the state, I bet Memphis gets the least. Snow is not really an issue in TN, unless your high in the Smoky mountains. Now tornados are a different story. West Tennessee and Middle Tennessee have a real tornado problem, some truly scary storms have happened over there. East Tennessee is spared some of the Tornado activity by its mountainous environment. However it still happens, just last year twisters hit parts of Campbell and Claiborne counties. This is the southeast, and twisters happen throughout the region. If your from Texas however you should notice less tornado activity here, as Texas has more than anywhere.

As for affordable cities I think TN is reasonable. From what I hear Nashville is the most expensive, but compared to high COL areas its still reasonable. I bet its comparable to what your used to in Texas.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:41 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzNjoeywebb View Post
Hello everyone! !!!!We are relocating to TN this summer, ,we are taking a trip there in may to check out some cities, ,but before we make the trip, i wanted to ask you guys some questions!! I am looking for a city that gets least amount of snow, and tornadoes!!! We are looking for land but with city living not to far........i like to shop and go out to eat etc and we have a teenage boy lol! !!! We are a middle class family, so iam also looking for affordable cost of living cities as well! !! I know its a lot!!!! Iam doing tons of research as well, but would love to hear from people who actually live there! !!! Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you all for your time! !!!!
If your son is going to school you might find info here helpful

Find a Public or Private School | LocalSchoolDirectory.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee