U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:50 AM

611 posts, read 1,129,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
My Chappy deck boat has the 350/BIII setup, but has no cabin, I like it a lot.

How practical is it to get onshore to hotels along the way so we have a place to sleep?

Thank you.
All I can speak to is Knoxville, Chattanooga and Guntersville. For those three it's real easy. I imagine that Picwick would be easy since there is a lot of development on that lake but I've never been on it. TN Tom Bigby I have no idea. I think most people try to make that run is one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 11:57 AM

157 posts, read 689,813 times
Think I'll start by seeing what may be available from the Chartbook folks and Inland Waterway Guides?

Old 01-14-2008, 12:51 PM

611 posts, read 1,129,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
Think I'll start by seeing what may be available from the Chartbook folks and Inland Waterway Guides?
Good luck! Let me know if you need a copilot....... I'm an excellent driver

Old 01-16-2008, 10:35 AM

409 posts, read 1,074,665 times
What/where is the Tom Bigby Waterway?

firepower

Old 01-16-2008, 02:00 PM

8,887 posts, read 20,357,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firepower View Post
What/where is the Tom Bigby Waterway?

firepower
The Tombigbee is a river in Alabama, and the Tennessee-Tombigbee (or the "Tenn-Tom") is essentially a canal built that connects Pickwick Lake in Tennessee to the Tombigbee in Demopolis, Alabama. It took 12 years and cost $2 billion to build. Whether it was necessary is highly debatable. But it at least does allow leisure boaters to get to Neyland Stadium in Knoxville from NE Mississippi and NW Alabama.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:57 PM

409 posts, read 1,074,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
The Tombigbee is a river in Alabama, and the Tennessee-Tombigbee (or the "Tenn-Tom") is essentially a canal built that connects Pickwick Lake in Tennessee to the Tombigbee in Demopolis, Alabama. It took 12 years and cost $2 billion to build. Whether it was necessary is highly debatable. But it at least does allow leisure boaters to get to Neyland Stadium in Knoxville from NE Mississippi and NW Alabama.
Thanks J! Learn something new on C-D every day...

Speaking of boating trips, some of my co-workers have been talking about trying to go from Roaring River Park in Gainesboro to Riverfront park in Nashville via the Cumberland.On two pontoons & a couple other boats.We'd have to lock through Cordell Hull & Old Hickory I guess...

firepower

Old 02-17-2008, 06:28 PM

A friend of mine said that he has recently seen a good article in one of the national boating magazines that describes the TVA recreational boating system including how their lakes and rivers connect and that new federal funded marina locations were being built to promote recreational boating, unfortunately he couldn't recall which magazine the article was in. Has anyone here seen this article, if so where can we find it?

Old 02-18-2008, 12:22 PM

110 posts, read 235,455 times
itsme2,

I have the same boat you have, and live on lake Tellico. That's an awful long trip in such a small, unprotected boat. I wouldn't consider such a trip, but then again, I'm an ORF.

Jeff

Old 02-18-2008, 08:42 PM

Not really considering a trip to the Gulf from Tellico in our Chappy but I am just curious about the actual route. I use a good GPS with real time weather and monitor the weather radio channels to help keep us safe.

When we relocate to Tellico we'll do some over night trips on the waterway for the adventure if we can count on some good overnight dockage and onshore accomodations along the way. Who knows, maybe we'll get a boat with a cabin again when we get there although the Chappy is an outstanding boat in many ways I think.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,897 times
My daughter and her family traveled the Tenn-Tom a few years back. They left Mobile Al. and went to Nashville Tn. She tried using the Corp. of Engineers to help her plan the trip and found that if you can find a Tugboat or Pushboat Captin, they can tell you a whole lots more than the COE. There are marina and even hotels along the way. They had a wonderful time on the trip. My wife and I plan to make the trip soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee