U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 02:29 PM

250 posts, read 697,614 times

Advertisements

You won't find a more family-friendly location, beautiful terrain, super schools and low crime than in Williamson County. Nolensville, Franklin, Spring Hill and Fairview are good options, though finding a home in your price range with a sizable lot could be a challenge (depending on your definition of 'sizable').

Murfreesboro is another great town southeast of Nashville...more affordable housing and good schools.

There's a lot to learn when you're trying to decide on location...the best suggestion I can offer is for you to come visit and see for yourself why so many people love living here(myself included)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 07:48 PM

14 posts, read 17,323 times
Talking Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirshrek View Post
If you are definitely going to the Memphis area then you should consider Oakland or other areas in Fayette County. The schools in Fayette county aren't the best (but neither are those in Memphis). Housing prices are more reasonable there than in Collierville or Germantown (though the schools are better in those locations). The other option is to cross the state line into Mississippi. There are several nicer areas growing just across the border (a lot of people trying to get out of Memphis) with better schools than the Fayette County area; however, the trade off is you have to pay Mississippi income tax.

I have been looking everywhere for this answer. Hubby was just offered a new/better job by MEM airport and has excepted it. I did not know if we should move inside of TN (No State Tax State) to the north or east of Shelby County or move down to MS or over to AR (Where they do have State Tax). My consern is that we will get hit paying state taxes at the end of the year if we live outside TN. I want to stay as far away from crime and as close as possible to good schools. We are looking to rent a 3/2 house under $1,200.00 a month. Any info?

Old 09-07-2008, 07:54 PM

OH I haven't heard any mention of Tipton County cities??? How are their schools, crime ect.... ? Hubby said he would drive if he has to but wants to keep it less then an hour drive.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:13 PM

1,149 posts, read 2,084,658 times
The great state of Tennessee, has plenty of cities that would be great, and it all depends on what your looking for. Home is where the heart is, and give us some on what your looking for, and you can use the city-data, for all the populations, incomes, and many facts. Good luck, and look for your post.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:23 PM

5,291 posts, read 6,667,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladd04 View Post
I have been looking everywhere for this answer. Hubby was just offered a new/better job by MEM airport and has excepted it. I did not know if we should move inside of TN (No State Tax State) to the north or east of Shelby County or move down to MS or over to AR (Where they do have State Tax). My consern is that we will get hit paying state taxes at the end of the year if we live outside TN. I want to stay as far away from crime and as close as possible to good schools. We are looking to rent a 3/2 house under $1,200.00 a month. Any info?
Lots and lots of info on this in the Memphis Forum. Maybe do a search and add the key word Fed-ex to your search, as it is in the same general area as the airport, and there have been a lot of threads from people coming in to work there too.
If you post in the Memphis forum about renting most of us are probably going to point you towards east Memphis if you can afford private schools, Bartlett, Cordova, Collierville, Fayette county if you don't mind the long commute, MS if you don't mind the taxes, and AR if you don't mind the taxes and having to fight traffic going over the bridge twice a day.Good luck.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:24 PM

Default I hate moving blind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanbob View Post
The great state of Tennessee, has plenty of cities that would be great, and it all depends on what your looking for. Home is where the heart is, and give us some on what your looking for, and you can use the city-data, for all the populations, incomes, and many facts. Good luck, and look for your post.
OK Oldmanbob, I hate moving blind (moving somewhere you've never been and know nothing about). I've done it before and ended up in a place where I had to call the cops at least once a week and had to worry about my kids while they were in school. It was a nightmare and I'll never do it again!

PLEASE let me know if anyone out there can help with this one... This is as close as I can get to telling someone what I'm looking for without going and pointing to it.

A house for rent between $850.00 - $1175.00 per month, less then 20 years old, 3+ bed / 2+ bath, outside of Shelby County but still in TN, low crime area, good public school system, less then 45 minute drive to MEM airport. A rural area is ok so long as there is at least a gas station within a half mile. I really don't think I'm asking for a lot but after looking online for weeks now my mind is starting to disintegrate.
It's like Tipton County doesn't even exist and everything is in Cordova or outta state.

I will only have a couple days to get out there and check it out before moving so the more info the better.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:30 PM

9,071 posts, read 21,565,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladd04 View Post
OK Oldmanbob, I hate moving blind (moving somewhere you've never been and know nothing about). I've done it before and ended up in a place where I had to call the cops at least once a week and had to worry about my kids while they were in school. It was a nightmare and I'll never do it again!

PLEASE let me know if anyone out there can help with this one... This is as close as I can get to telling someone what I'm looking for without going and pointing to it.

A house for rent between $850.00 - $1175.00 per month, less then 20 years old, 3+ bed / 2+ bath, outside of Shelby County but still in TN, low crime area, good public school system, less then 45 minute drive to MEM airport. A rural area is ok so long as there is at least a gas station within a half mile. I really don't think I'm asking for a lot but after looking online for weeks now my mind is starting to disintegrate.
It's like Tipton County doesn't even exist and everything is in Cordova or outta state.

I will only have a couple days to get out there and check it out before moving so the more info the better.
You really should post this in the Memphis forum. Oldmanbob is in Knoxville which is nearly 400 miles from Memphis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee