U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 05:43 PM

6,992 posts, read 13,391,186 times
In eastern Tennessee too!
(the northern south... LOL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
The only thing I can add to this outstanding set of rules is that here in Texas (the "western South") we call 'em crawdads!

Old 01-25-2008, 11:06 AM

8,257 posts, read 10,566,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyM View Post
Maybe you should seriously reconsider moving to Tennessee. If you're so upset by those cute & funny "rules", then I don't think the south is for you. I do know that the people of TN are friendly & welcoming; I know they're the salt of the earth, but I also know they don't want 'Yankees"/northerners coming down and disrespecting their way of life and trying to change it to fit the "yankee" way of life that the "yankees" are trying to escape. Don't you get it?
Thats All i meant to imply also. WELCOME to Tennessee. Just please dont ask us to change our way of living because you think we are backwards or ignorant as someone called us.
There are some differences that people coming from up north seem to have a problem adjusting too. just an example: we dont get ticked off and start honking and throwing a fit if we get stuck behind a piece of farm machinery on the road. We are grateful for the food it provides! People from up north call it being nosy--we call it checking on our neighbors. Just takes some adjustment i guess.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:55 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,874,036 times
I'm never quite sure where the animosity comes from with these posts. Some of it seems self parody but some seems pointedly determined to paint all northerners with a large tar brush as if we all live like the Hollywood version of NY City. As people with a foot in both places now ( we have a place in Maryville!!) we don't understand what has gotten some with their knickers all in a wad.

Our neighbors have all been welcoming. They have been as nice as the ones we will leave behind. We found a modest home around the corner from some larger homes and a McMansion or two on one side and few double wides on the other, along with a few cow pastures to keep it all in perspective. Our neighbors all have made us feel very welcome, not one has made a point of pointing out we are Yankees or somehow don't belong.

Have we seen that there are people who won't like us for where we came from, yes, but they are few and far between. We have met far more polite, pleasant and helpful people than anything else. Have there been a few not too bright folks? Yep, but no more than the dim light bulbs we have come across 'up north'. On the whole politeness does seem more important on the surface with people in Tennessee, but many of us in the north practice the same courtesy (holding open doors, please and thank you) so we don't feel we have to change to fit in. What feels different to us is that more people are polite like us. As with a move to any part of the country one may want to pay attention to customs and expectations and try blend a little but so far it hasn't been work at all for us.

Some of the original post did seem to give the feeling of a 'stay out if you ain't from here'- especially assuming things about those from "joisey" and NY and their patterns of speech, choice of vehicle and haberdashery that are not even close to what "normal" every day inhabitants have. Maybe making out that any of us are all part of one big stereotype, southern or northern, is what has made some of the responses so strong. We don't know anyone with low slung pants, crooked hat, who play thumpity music or own overly expensive cars. Nor do we have problems understanding what cow manure smells like or what gravel roads are, since much of the Yankee territory is/was until recently farm land... complete with the creatures that go moo! Many of us know what the hunting seasons are, even when each starts. Neither our southern neighbors nor our northern neighbors have most of the traits argued over. To me, at least, all of my neighbors are much more alike than different, and I like them all.

Gem put it well about not moving to TN for taxes, cost of living or climate, although all of them were part of our decision! Moving anywhere with the expectation of raising the natives up to a higher standard has alway been a very colonial thing to do and has alway backfired. In hindsight those "standards" aren't always so high.

Em

Old 01-25-2008, 03:16 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,830,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
Thats All i meant to imply also. WELCOME to Tennessee. Just please dont ask us to change our way of living because you think we are backwards or ignorant as someone called us.
There are some differences that people coming from up north seem to have a problem adjusting too. just an example: we dont get ticked off and start honking and throwing a fit if we get stuck behind a piece of farm machinery on the road. We are grateful for the food it provides! People from up north call it being nosy--we call it checking on our neighbors. Just takes some adjustment i guess.
My two cents worth! I think some people coming from other places forget, that THEY moved in. THEY need to embrace Tennessee and the lifestyle here. You should not have to change a thing! If you are moving to Tennessee it should be for a whole lot more than a lower cost of living. I think that is what drives most people to come. Not all, but some. It's not only rude, but unreasonable to come here and then turn your nose up at the natives, thinking you are better or smarter than they are. Those who don't like the people or the way of life here should just move on. It's that simple! Tennessee might not be for everyone, but the same way we expect immigrants to assimilate to America, the same should be expected of those moving from other states to Tennessee. It should apply to ANYONE moving to ANY state. The state ran okay before you got there and it will continue to run long after you leave! You shouldn't try to change it. Just my opinion.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:30 PM

6,297 posts, read 15,007,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
I'm never quite sure where the animosity comes from with these posts. Some of it seems self parody but some seems pointedly determined to paint all northerners with a large tar brush as if we all live like the Hollywood version of NY City. As people with a foot in both places now ( we have a place in Maryville!!) we don't understand what has gotten some with their knickers all in a wad.

Our neighbors have all been welcoming. They have been as nice as the ones we will leave behind. We found a modest home around the corner from some larger homes and a McMansion or two on one side and few double wides on the other, along with a few cow pastures to keep it all in perspective. Our neighbors all have made us feel very welcome, not one has made a point of pointing out we are Yankees or somehow don't belong.

Have we seen that there are people who won't like us for where we came from, yes, but they are few and far between. We have met far more polite, pleasant and helpful people than anything else. Have there been a few not too bright folks? Yep, but no more than the dim light bulbs we have come across 'up north'. On the whole politeness does seem more important on the surface with people in Tennessee, but many of us in the north practice the same courtesy (holding open doors, please and thank you) so we don't feel we have to change to fit in. What feels different to us is that more people are polite like us. As with a move to any part of the country one may want to pay attention to customs and expectations and try blend a little but so far it hasn't been work at all for us.

Some of the original post did seem to give the feeling of a 'stay out if you ain't from here'- especially assuming things about those from "joisey" and NY and their patterns of speech, choice of vehicle and haberdashery that are not even close to what "normal" every day inhabitants have. Maybe making out that any of us are all part of one big stereotype, southern or northern, is what has made some of the responses so strong. We don't know anyone with low slung pants, crooked hat, who play thumpity music or own overly expensive cars. Nor do we have problems understanding what cow manure smells like or what gravel roads are, since much of the Yankee territory is/was until recently farm land... complete with the creatures that go moo! Many of us know what the hunting seasons are, even when each starts. Neither our southern neighbors nor our northern neighbors have most of the traits argued over. To me, at least, all of my neighbors are much more alike than different, and I like them all.

Gem put it well about not moving to TN for taxes, cost of living or climate, although all of them were part of our decision! Moving anywhere with the expectation of raising the natives up to a higher standard has alway been a very colonial thing to do and has alway backfired. In hindsight those "standards" aren't always so high.

Em
That's a very well-reasoned post with several good points.

As for the original post, as someone else has pointed out, a version of that thing has been around for years (there's also one called "How to Talk Like a Southerner" that get recycled from time to time). It was meant as a joke (mostly), but sometimes even jokes can have a little "barb" to them. I can kind of see where someone from elsewhere could have taken it the wrong way. Remember too that we in the south get a LOT of jabs poked at us.

There are many of us here who are "regulars" (okay, okay, I'm irregular); at least half of which are not from Tennessee originally. I can't speak for all the others but I'm sure most would say we're sorry if this thread came across as some kind of "don't come here" kind of things, or was trying to "put down" everyone who isn't from the south.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:52 PM

4,733 posts, read 6,248,623 times
Wink A bird doesn't have to be pretty to have a beautiful song!

After having lived in various parts of the country, I have to add that what we lovingly refer to as "the southern way of life" is really not that much different than any other place I have lived in - north, south, midwest, east coast.

I dare say that you will find people who have stereotyped opinions - and worse, voice them - from every part of the world as a whole. The list was funny, silly and harmed no one. Those without prejudice or those stereotypical bents would probably recognize that. So be it; we are all sorry if anyone was offended, but many of us still enjoy it.

You might find that there are big city folks here in TN who are native that have the same skewed stereotypical ideas about their country cousins, just as the northern big city "sophiticates" do about their small town and country neighbors.

When I moved to Philadelphia out of college I was certainly considered a "mountain hick" being from a small town in the N PA mts. I don't remember being offended, but I did try to emulate the customs, mannerisms, and thinking of the "City of Brotherly Love".

It isn't kind or reasonable to label one another no matter where we might come from, our what our beliefs are, or what our accent is like. We will miss some wonderful people and potential "best friends" if we base our character assessment on a birth certificate.

Some of our most admired countrymen have had very humble beginnings, but went on to be respected and well-liked by many (I think of Martin L. King, Bill Clinton -disregarding your politics, Abe Lincoln, Maya Angelou, Mother Teresa, and my dad.)

Know people by their character, their hearts, and their actions. The rest is easy.

Last edited by gemkeeper; 01-25-2008 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: Added a relevant thought, for once!

Old 01-26-2008, 04:30 PM

16 posts, read 45,975 times
and what bible did that come out of?

Old 01-26-2008, 09:37 PM

4,733 posts, read 6,248,623 times
Cool If I talk about The Bible, I capitalize it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter200343 View Post
and what bible did that come out of?
Probably not the one you are looking at!

Old 01-27-2008, 09:08 AM

665 posts, read 1,243,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim918 View Post
My two cents worth! I think some people coming from other places forget, that THEY moved in. THEY need to embrace Tennessee and the lifestyle here. You should not have to change a thing! If you are moving to Tennessee it should be for a whole lot more than a lower cost of living. I think that is what drives most people to come. Not all, but some. It's not only rude, but unreasonable to come here and then turn your nose up at the natives, thinking you are better or smarter than they are. Those who don't like the people or the way of life here should just move on. It's that simple! Tennessee might not be for everyone, but the same way we expect immigrants to assimilate to America, the same should be expected of those moving from other states to Tennessee. It should apply to ANYONE moving to ANY state. The state ran okay before you got there and it will continue to run long after you leave! You shouldn't try to change it. Just my opinion.
Kim 918,
When we decided to move to Tennesee, I came on the board and asked alot of questions about many things,but my main concern was I wanted peolpe here to know, I was moving for a variety of reasons, yes, finace one , but the beauty of your state and I saw how peolpe treated each other and as when we visited which was always warm , friendly and helpful.I wanted YOUR way of life. If I wanted to live my so called way, I should have stayed where I was.I feel you move to a new area, learn thier ways, I am the new one .

Old 01-27-2008, 09:48 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,313,194 times
Wink Moving Expectations

If only those moving to FL from 'south of FL' felt the same way, what a wonderful world this would be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee