U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-27-2008, 11:41 AM

4,733 posts, read 6,563,561 times

Advertisements

You know, I think as more and more of us from "someplace else" are posting here on C-D, moving into the area, sharing our like feelings that we are here because of our love of E TN, the culture, the traditions, and the warmth of the folks here there will gradually be acceptance of newcomers.

If we are determined that OUR lifestyle is going to change and adapt to our new home and others follow the example, native TN will not have the fear that their home will be spoiled as so many now do.

I believe it is this fear that triggers the "Go Back to Where You Came From" occasional post that we read. It isn't up to those native to Tennessee to get used to us - it is up to us to get used to TN and become as much a Tennessean as we can.

We are all proud of our roots. We all long for the days of our youth and romanticize about our hometowns. But, we have chosen to move on and now we should share that kind of pride with the folks that own TN, in the sense that it is a part of them.

I really appreciate all of the posts that help us to become enlightened and sensitive to the feelings and hopes of the good folk of TN. It has helped to shape my own thinking over the past 9 months and I hope that this forum will have a similar effect on others logging on here.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:06 PM

117 posts, read 301,237 times
Ya know, when you read some of these pronouncements like "Rules of the South" or "How to talk Like A Redneck" many times you need to recognize the tounge-in-cheek aspect.

I prefer to look for the humor in such lists instead of indulging in our newest national pastime of looking for insults.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrm777 View Post
Ya know, when you read some of these pronouncements like "Rules of the South" or "How to talk Like A Redneck" many times you need to recognize the tounge-in-cheek aspect.

I prefer to look for the humor in such lists instead of indulging in our newest national pastime of looking for insults.
You hit the nail on the head, rlrm!!

Old 01-27-2008, 01:51 PM

21,680 posts, read 31,695,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrm777 View Post

This is true!

I kind of worry about folks that don't "get" it.

I come from New England, where people have a very dry sense of humor. When I lived in southwest Florida, I felt out of place. Very few people got my jokes.

I was thrilled to find that when I moved here, people thought I was hilarious! I think this area has a great sense of humor and it has made a huge difference in my quality of life.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:34 PM

Lightbulb You're right, hiknapster. It is the sense of humor.

That is such a good point, Hik, and the first that I realized it. (Wish that light bulb icon would fit here!)

There is a great sense of humor among the people in E. TN and that is what is missing in so many other places.

I don't think that folks here, in general, take themselves too seriously. There is a funny bone in most folks here. Very attractive to us all!

Old 01-27-2008, 05:09 PM

13,662 posts, read 7,153,720 times
Funny "Bones" .......

Old 01-27-2008, 05:28 PM

Exactly!

I don't think I've ever laughed so much, since I moved here. I live to laugh!

This forum keeps me laughing a lot, too.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:36 PM

6,300 posts, read 15,711,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Exactly!

I don't think I've ever laughed so much, since I moved here. I live to laugh!

This forum keeps me laughing a lot, too.
It's my cow jokes, right?

Old 01-27-2008, 05:39 PM

Ninety percent of it are your cow jokes. Yes.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:36 AM

665 posts, read 1,299,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
That is such a good point, Hik, and the first that I realized it. (Wish that light bulb icon would fit here!)

There is a great sense of humor among the people in E. TN and that is what is missing in so many other places.

I don't think that folks here, in general, take themselves too seriously. There is a funny bone in most folks here. Very attractive to us all!
When my neighbor invited me over for a Mary Kay party, I was the only "new one" from the north, we were able to laugh WITH each other on our diffences,we had such a great time!I laughed how they called a road a -four lane-, I called it a highway,and how I said root instead of the say natives say route.I teased them that the clan started in TN,I am NOT putting an opinion either way on that, it was just a joke! We had such a great time, we could laugh at our differences and not be sooo serious! Lifes too short for that! Hey, who has More cow jokes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee