U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 562 times

Advertisements

I am moving to TN and am looking to go white water rafting for the first time! There seem to be quite a few rafting / touring companies and I want to start with something fun and easy going for the first time. Does anyone has any suggestions - your favorite company? best company to go with? general advice or warnings? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 06:37 AM

2,773 posts, read 3,681,088 times
Where are you starting from? Here is an answer I provided for someone starting out of Chattanooga a while back. There are other rivers closer to other locations. I'm not saying use or avoid NOC (I've never used them, so I have no recommendation), but they operate on most rivers in the area and their website is one of the best for describing the different options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
What level of difficulty are you looking for? That's the first question to answer as it determines which river.

One of the better commercial sites for general information is the Nantahala Outdoor Center. They're technically based on the Nantahala River, but they have "outposts" on most of the major commercial rivers.

Rivers I'm familiar with:
Hiwassee, Class I/II
Dam controlled, cold water. Safe for families, no age limit (my son's been going since he was 4, a friend's 3-yr old went last year, but an 8-yr-old friend chickened out this year). PFD's required, but no helmets and no guides. Reliance, TN, is about 1:30 away from downtown. Personally, we use Hiwassee Outfitters for that river. Not really what most people consider a "whitewater" river, but a little more than your typical "float" river.

Nantahala, Class II/III
Dam controlled, VERY COLD WATER. You hit the first Class III- (Patton's Run) within the first few hundred yards. You can pull out at "Chicken Beach" to scout the final Class III+ rapid/falls, "The Nantahala Falls" (not really a waterfall). Whitewater PFD's required, no helmets, guides optional (suggested for whitewater newbies), minimum age is 7 years old. If you go on a large guided raft the experience will seem extremely tame; if you go in a 1- or 2- person "duckie" it's much more intense. We use Paddle Inn, located about 2:15 from Chattanooga (about 10 miles north-east of Topton, NC, on US-74). Pure coincidence, but we're going to raft the Nantahala this weekend. Slightly different topic, but Topton is the southern end of "The Dragon", one of the curviest roads in the US. A cool drive back would be to go north out of Topton on Hwy 129 to Robbinsonville, then cut west to the Cherohala Skyway, up and over to Tellico, then back to Chattanooga.

Ocoee, Class III/IV
Dam controled (Upper - Middle). The upper section is where they held the 1996 Olympics and is more technical, middle section is longer, still fun, and includes the rapid "Hell Hole" (search youtube for "Ocoee Hell Hole"). Fully guided, helmets and PFD's required, minimum age 12 (age limit is written into state law, but most outfitters allow parental discretion). On US 64 east of Cleveland, about 1:00-1:30 away from downtown Chattanooga depending on outfitter chosen. This is one of the most popular commercial rivers in the region, and is the closest to Chattanooga. If you start in Chattanooga, you have to drive past or cross the Ocoee to reach any of the other rivers I've listed. If you're with a group of reasonably fit adults looking for adventure, this is the one I recommend.

Chattooga, Class III/IV
Rain controlled, so flow is variable. This is the river where they filmed most of Deliverance, so lots of "I hear banjos! Paddle faster!" t-shirts available. Fully guided with chase boats; helmets and PFD's required. Don't know about minimum ages and such. NOC Outpost is near the SC/GA border on US-76, a smidge over 3:00 from Chattanooga.

Cheoah, Class IV/V
Dam controlled, limited releases each year (there will be one on Sept. 1). If you have to ask, you can't raft this river. The Cheoah River is not for beginners. You will likely die.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:18 PM

2,773 posts, read 3,681,088 times
And for a coincidence, this appeared in my inbox today: Ocoee Rafting Trip for One or Two People

Or maybe not a coincidence... am I being tracked?

Old 06-25-2015, 09:02 PM

23,652 posts, read 21,983,868 times
Many videos on these rivers on You Tube..

Obed Wild & Scenic River (U.S. National Park Service)

http://www.riverfacts.com/rivers/13129.html

http://www.nps.gov/biso/planyourvisi...erpaddling.htm

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/co...detail/id/1720

Old 06-26-2015, 08:25 AM

21,009 posts, read 15,307,070 times
The Cheoah looks intense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee