U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 11:06 AM

785 posts, read 615,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I normally stay in the right lane in rural areas unless passing, or unless driving sections of various Alabama interstates where the right lane has been beaten into a washboard. You have to be more flexible with left-lane rules in urban areas with frequent merging traffic and left-lane exits.

If I am in the left lane and see someone coming up behind be, then I will try to immediately move over. If I am passing someone I will try to move over as soon as I'm clear. My dad was a truck driver and taught me the rules of the road.

HOWEVER, if I am in legitimately in the left lane while passing someone and some aggressive obliviot pulls up behind me and stupidly sits few feet off my tailgate while both of us are driving 75mph, I will slow down and stay in the left lane as long as possible. This is especially true if I'm passing a long line of slower cars. "Pushing" me doesn't work. I won't tap the breaks or try to cause a wreck, I'll just stay there. I might even wave and smile pleasantly in my mirror (no, not the one-finger wave). If you hit me, it's 100% your fault; I'll call 911 and continue driving to a safe place so I won't have to worry about your uncontrollable road rage. If you are a commercial driver you will probably get fired because of it. Back off.

I believe passing on the shoulder is illegal in every state. Passing on the right in a merge lane is questionable.
Rather testy aren't we?

Just because I said I "want" to push the nitwits out of my way, doesn't mean I am going to. If I have my stock trailer on the road, my horses are in it. They're health and safety comes far ahead of my personal satisfaction to actually move some Big Stupid out of my way. The thought is delicious but, I have great insurance premiums because of my great driving record. I' not about to risk everything I have for some dumbs*** that doesn't care to know how to drive on the four, six, or eight lanes.

I won't even bring up how people in little cars drive thru construction zones. Under the posted speed limit, riding the brakes, death grip on the steering wheel--------- and it isn't even raining

Chill out fella or fellette, don't take every little thing to heart, in this big ole Cyber world

Old 06-18-2015, 12:39 PM

20,014 posts, read 20,504,984 times
I've not had a problem with left lane drivers except going up I-40 between Cookeville and Monterey. The semi trucks try to pass one another and get bogged down on the hill slowing all traffic.

The no turn signal is a different story.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:23 PM

2,683 posts, read 5,368,298 times
Quote:
TN has adopted the Uniform Traffic Code into state law, and the UTC specifies that anyone traveling "slower than the flow of traffic" should move right to allow faster traffic to pass. This means that even if you are driving faster than the speed limit you should move over if someone else is driving faster and comes up behind you.

Unfortunately, there is no penalty for violating this law, and there is no "keep right unless passing" law like in some other states. So people ignore it.

Incidentally, it is legal to pass on the right on multi-lane roads in TN, so it really doesn't matter. I used to get aggravated by left-lane-sitters, but now I just pass on the right and go on with my trip.
when did Tennessee pass this law?

Old 06-18-2015, 01:31 PM

11,603 posts, read 31,771,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I've not had a problem with left lane drivers except going up I-40 between Cookeville and Monterey. The semi trucks try to pass one another and get bogged down on the hill slowing all traffic.

The no turn signal is a different story.
Yeah I wonder why TDOT even bothers having that "Trucks Use Right Lane Only" (or whatever it says) sign going up the mountain between Cookeville and Monterey. It's maddening.

But back to the OP: I learned to drive while living in France right next to Germany. And believe you me, I stay in the right lane unless I'm going to pass someone. It drives me bonkers to see these goody-goodies stay in the left lane, I guess trying to teach the rest of us a lesson on how to obey the speed limit, I don't know. I heard someone call in to Click and Clack once asking the same question: is it ok to stay in the left lane even if you're not passing someone as long as you're doing the speed limit. I thought Click and Clack were going to come unglued. They said absolutely NOT. And it is not our duty to make sure everyone else is following the speed limit. So if you're not passing anyone, STAY IN THE RIGHT LANE.

I believe the signs in Tennessee say, "Slower traffic keep right." That means, if you're in the left lane and a car comes up behind you--clearly going faster than you--then you need to get your butt over into the right lane pronto.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 06-18-2015, 01:31 PM

2,773 posts, read 3,676,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Rather testy aren't we?

Just because I said I "want" to push the nitwits out of my way, doesn't mean I am going to. If I have my stock trailer on the road, my horses are in it. They're health and safety comes far ahead of my personal satisfaction to actually move some Big Stupid out of my way. The thought is delicious but, I have great insurance premiums because of my great driving record. I' not about to risk everything I have for some dumbs*** that doesn't care to know how to drive on the four, six, or eight lanes.
Not testy at all, just contrary. If you try to psychologically "push" me in traffic, I simply slow down, ignore you, and listen to music while your frustration hits the roof

If you don't tailgate, then I wasn't addressing you specifically. I was just using your comment to make a point. I do not drive in the left lane, and when passing I don't stay there unless passing a long line of traffic. If you come up behind me while I am passing other cars, and remain a reasonable distance back, I will politely move over as quickly as I reasonably can. It doesn't even have to be a long distance back... a couple of car lengths will do.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:37 PM

1,034 posts, read 980,102 times
Oh believe me, In Georgia many ppl believe the left lane is just a lane to be in if you don't have to make an exit any time soon. I have even seen folks in the extreme left lane (3 lane hwy) go 5 under the speed limit. I wonder how these folks make it through Atlanta without getting shot. Luckily I think Atlanta drivers don't do this as much as the ppl from downstate ga.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:07 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,796,807 times
Quote:
Not testy at all, just contrary. If you try to psychologically "push" me in traffic, I simply slow down, ignore you, and listen to music while your frustration hits the roof

If you don't tailgate, then I wasn't addressing you specifically. I was just using your comment to make a point. I do not drive in the left lane, and when passing I don't stay there unless passing a long line of traffic. If you come up behind me while I am passing other cars, and remain a reasonable distance back, I will politely move over as quickly as I reasonably can. It doesn't even have to be a long distance back... a couple of car lengths will do.
We drive similar. Bullying wont accomplish anything except getting me to ignore you.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
when did Tennessee pass this law?
When? I have no idea. A long time ago. But again, it isn't enforced, so when really doesn't matter. It's T.C.A. § 55-8-115(b). However, section -117(2) seems to re-state that anyone in the left lane should move over, but there is an exception where passing on the right is allowed. Section -118(3) is clear that passing on the right is legal on multi-lane one-way roads. So people should move over, but if they don't just pass on the right.

Reference: LexisNexis® Custom Solution: Tennessee Code Research Tool

Quote:
55-8-103. Required obedience to traffic laws -- Penalty.
It is unlawful and, unless otherwise declared in this chapter and chapter 10, parts 1-5 of this title with respect to particular offenses, it is a Class C misdemeanor, for any person to do any act forbidden or fail to perform any act required in this chapter and chapter 10 of this title.

55-8-115. Driving on right side of roadway -- Exceptions.
(a) Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:
(1) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;
(2) When the right half of a roadway is closed to traffic while under construction or repair;
(3) Upon a roadway divided into three (3) marked lanes for traffic under the applicable rules thereon; or
(4) Upon a roadway designated and signposted for one-way traffic.
(b) Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

55-8-117. Overtaking a vehicle on the left.
The following rules shall govern the overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same direction, subject to those limitations, exceptions and special rules hereinafter stated:
(1) The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left thereof at a safe distance and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle; and
(2) Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle on audible signal and shall not increase the speed of the overtaken vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.

55-8-118. When overtaking on the right is permitted.
(a) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
(1) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;
(2) Upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement not occupied by parked vehicles of sufficient width for two (2) or more lines of moving vehicles in each direction; and
(3) Upon a one-way street, or upon any roadway on which traffic is restricted to one (1) direction of movement, where the roadway is free from obstructions and of sufficient width for two (2) or more lines of moving vehicles.
(b) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting that movement in safety. In no event shall the movement be made by driving off the pavement or main-traveled portion of the roadway.

Last edited by jwkilgore; 06-18-2015 at 03:46 PM..

Old 06-18-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchaser2002 View Post
Oh believe me, In Georgia many ppl believe the left lane is just a lane to be in if you don't have to make an exit any time soon. I have even seen folks in the extreme left lane (3 lane hwy) go 5 under the speed limit. I wonder how these folks make it through Atlanta without getting shot. Luckily I think Atlanta drivers don't do this as much as the ppl from downstate ga.
Georgia actually does have a "passing lane" law as of last summer. And it is enforced in some areas.

Reference: http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/...0132014/HB/459

Quote:
40-6-184.
(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal
and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe
operation.
(b) Whenever the commissioner of public safety or the commissioner of transportation or
local authorities determine on the basis of any engineering and traffic investigation that
slow speeds on any part of a road under their respective jurisdictions impede the normal
and reasonable movement of traffic, such commissioners jointly, or such local authorities,
may determine and declare a minimum speed limit below which no person shall drive a
vehicle except when necessary for safe operation, and such limit shall be effective
when posted upon fixed or variable signs.
(c) Upon roads, streets, or highways with two or more lanes allowing for movement in the
same direction, no person shall continue to operate a motor vehicle in the passing lane once
such person knows or should reasonably know that he or she is being overtaken in such
lane from the rear by a motor vehicle traveling at a higher rate of speed. For purposes of
this Code section, 'passing lane' means the most left-hand lane other than a high occupancy
vehicle lane.

(d) Subsection (c) of this Code section shall not apply:
(1) When traffic conditions or congestion make it necessary to drive in the passing lane;
(2) When inclement weather, obstructions, or hazards make it necessary to drive in the
passing lane;
(3) When compliance with a law of this state or with an official traffic control device
makes it necessary to drive in the passing lane;
(4) When a vehicle must be driven in the passing lane to exit or turn left;
(5) On toll highways, when necessary to pay a toll or use a pass;
(6) To authorized emergency vehicles engaged in official duties; or
(7) To vehicles engaged in highway maintenance and construction operations."
Maybe Tennessee will pass a similar law in the near future.

Last edited by jwkilgore; 06-18-2015 at 03:56 PM..

Old 06-18-2015, 08:54 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,831,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post

So far Tennessee has been the worst at people just moseying in the left lane, blocking traffic.
Now I'm not just some tourist who drove thru, I left from TN. I live there.
This drives me NUTS! Every day!

I don't mind people cruising in the left lane, but you should be going a little bit faster than the right lane... especially when there's a car behind you that obviously wants around you. When someone goes the same exact speed as the car next to them in the right lane for miles, I want to ram their vehicle.

The other thing that drives me nuts is when you're approaching a red light and the left lane is empty, and at the last second, the #2 car in the right lane gets over just to not be behind another car. They have no plans on going any faster, and the right lane car they were behind originally goes faster when it turns green. WHY??!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee