Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 11:44 AM

451 posts, read 1,371,345 times

Advertisements

okay, I admit it.... sometimes I drive in the left lane even when there is no one in the right lane. ( But I promise I don't stay there when a faster car comes up behind me.) The reason I drive there is because there is one stretch of road I must travel where deer are a really big hazard at certain times in the evenings. Driving in the left lane gives me a fraction more reaction time should one step out in front of me. Some people not familiar with this area fly through there and often pay the price of a smashed vehicle and a poor dead deer.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:37 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
Why do we do it? Well, because we're in Tennessee. We're a lot more relaxed here and we take our time to stop and smell the roses. Want to drive 85+ on an interstate twice a day then head out to California or some place.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:57 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,011,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn5 View Post
okay, I admit it.... sometimes I drive in the left lane even when there is no one in the right lane. ( But I promise I don't stay there when a faster car comes up behind me.) The reason I drive there is because there is one stretch of road I must travel where deer are a really big hazard at certain times in the evenings. Driving in the left lane gives me a fraction more reaction time should one step out in front of me. Some people not familiar with this area fly through there and often pay the price of a smashed vehicle and a poor dead deer.
I do this as well. Since a car beside me hit a deer, about 2 miles before I used to swap to the left lane, I swap lanes a little sooner now.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:11 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
How about the "yield" sign when they merge onto the interstate.....They think it's a green light...

Old 07-04-2015, 10:00 PM

363 posts, read 481,915 times
I just drove from CA to TN and I definitely agree that TN (other than CA) is the worst for driving in the passing lane. The part where it really sticks to you is when you are driving through TX and they specifically tell you that it is against the law to be in the passing lane for anything other than passing (at least on the I-40). Also, most of the other states, basically condition you to move over to the passing lane for emergency vehicles on the side of the road so once you see any vehicle on the side of the road, you move over so most people determined that they cannot be chilling in the passing lane or else they are keeping people from moving over for emergencies.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:00 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Interestingly I saw on one of the internet news sites (CNN maybe?) that several states have recently passed stronger traffic laws against the practice and are warning drivers that they can be fined for driving in the left lane and holding up traffic. Pretty sure New Jersey was one of them. Now if we can just work on those texters.................

Old 07-19-2016, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 876 times
Please consider side streets and the need of those drivers on said side streets to get on the highway. Kinda hard to jump into traffic that is full of over-the-limit drivers. If the speed limit is not relevant, why are there signs? My car goes 90, and it sure is fun to drive fast, but a fruit of the spirit is self-control. Yeah I want to get there fast, but I must be respectful that someone else probably just wants to get there. I understand that some do not have self-control and legitimize their road-rage. Which sucks. I can't change you. I can only control me. And I still have a hard time doing that. Especially when the 5 minutes you gain by weaving around non-speeders is more important than the anxiety of let's say a mother or a child that is less confident than you. Does your elderly father still drive? Or your teenager?

Old 07-20-2016, 09:25 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,448 times
The so-called “Slow Poke” law went into effect across Tennessee on July 1. The new law states drivers are only allowed to use the left passing lane on interstates or multi-lane highways if they are actually passing.

If motorists are caught driving in the lane without passing, it could mean a misdemeanor charge and a $50 fine.

Tennessee officers now enforcing

Old 07-20-2016, 11:36 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
“We’ll enforce it just like we do every other state law. If you’re just out there riding in that lane and there’s nothing around you and there’s no reason for you to be there you can probably expect to get pulled over for that,” said THP Lt. Don Boshears.

Lt. Boshears says the new law could impact safety.
Tennessee officers now enforcing

If they are worried about safety why worry about some joe with nothing around him? I'd far rather they spend their time policing tailgating. I went to JC the other day and watched 5 cars go for miles looking like a string of christmas tree lights with their brake lights continuously blinking on and off one after the other, because they were all less than a car length apart doing 60-65mph. I'm fairly certain which situation I consider more dangerous.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:59 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
[i]The so-called “Slow Poke” law went into effect across Tennessee on July 1. The new law states drivers are only allowed to use the left passing lane on interstates or multi-lane highways if they are actually passing.
This isn't really accurate.

The law only applies on limited-access highways (interstates or similar with on- and off-ramps, no traffic lights, etc.) with at least three full lanes in each direction. Two lanes plus a ramp doesn't count, nor does two lanes plus an HOV lane. Basically it only applies for a few interstates and major highways around the four major cities.

Also, there are gobs of exceptions, including the presence of lots of traffic... which is common around the four big cities. So the law is effectively worthless around rush hour.

But it's a start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
If they are worried about safety why worry about some joe with nothing around him? I'd far rather they spend their time policing tailgating. I went to JC the other day and watched 5 cars go for miles looking like a string of christmas tree lights with their brake lights continuously blinking on and off one after the other, because they were all less than a car length apart doing 60-65mph. I'm fairly certain which situation I consider more dangerous.
The fact that people break law "A" is not a valid reason to not also pass law "B". Police aren't going to be going around specifically looking for people dallying in the passing lane while ignoring other problems. Honestly, I figure it will be enforced about like the "trucks use right two lanes" law. So it won't be enforced unless it's convenient or the officer is looking for an excuse to pull someone over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee