U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 10:56 AM

3,165 posts, read 3,957,351 times

Advertisements

How are you folk in TN viewing this whole Confederate flag debate in light of things coming up in South Carolina and Mississippi?

When I visited TN last year I visited two major Civil War battlefields, flags present, and it didn't bother me.

I also saw Nathan Bedford Forrest's gravesite along with Graceland while stopping in Memphis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 04:30 PM

2,773 posts, read 3,676,401 times
I am unaware of any location in Tennessee where the Rebel Flag is currently flying in an official capacity, except for various battlefields and memorials. It belongs in those places as legitimate pieces of history. The problem with the SC memorial is that it is right there on the ground of the state capitol building.

I believe the confederate Army of Tennessee was the first group to modify the originally square "Southern Cross" of the Army of Virginia into its more common rectangular form; so if any memorials have the right to the flag the ones in Tennessee do.

There have been calls to remove the bust of Gen. Nathan Forrest (KKK leader and CSA general born in middle TN) from the state capitol building. A few pro-Rebel-Flag rallies where rednecks gather in various Walmart parking lots. The media tried to blow up a Rebel Flag rally in Hendersonville, followed a few days later by a US Flag rally in the same spot, but really nothing happened.

That's about it.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:36 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,362,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I am unaware of any location in Tennessee where the Rebel Flag is currently flying in an official capacity, except for various battlefields and memorials. It belongs in those places as legitimate pieces of history. The problem with the SC memorial is that it is right there on the ground of the state capitol building.

I believe the confederate Army of Tennessee was the first group to modify the originally square "Southern Cross" of the Army of Virginia into its more common rectangular form; so if any memorials have the right to the flag the ones in Tennessee do.

There have been calls to remove the bust of Gen. Nathan Forrest (KKK leader and CSA general born in middle TN) from the state capitol building. A few pro-Rebel-Flag rallies where rednecks gather in various Walmart parking lots. The media tried to blow up a Rebel Flag rally in Hendersonville, followed a few days later by a US Flag rally in the same spot, but really nothing happened.

That's about it.
More or less this.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:41 AM

5,113 posts, read 4,761,926 times
We don't need race baiting political activists trying to change America in Tennessee. Apparently South Carolina didn't either as the people in Charleston didn't allow the political activists to start race wars to divide the people. Instead the good people of Charleston, all races, came together in a peace march to show their solidarity. When the race baiters saw that they probably all canceled their travel plans to Charleston.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:06 AM

5,842 posts, read 6,914,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
We don't need race baiting political activists trying to change America in Tennessee. Apparently South Carolina didn't either as the people in Charleston didn't allow the political activists to start race wars to divide the people. Instead the good people of Charleston, all races, came together in a peace march to show their solidarity. When the race baiters saw that they probably all canceled their travel plans to Charleston.

I am not happy about the confederate flag being blamed for what happened in Charleston. I firmly believe that flag is not about hate, but about Southern heritage and states rights. However I agree with you about the people of that area rising above the racial nonsense. Two incidents, one the police shooting and the massacre failed to create racial trouble in that city. Both cases black people were absolute victims in a way nothing like the more questionable incidents which led to violence in other places. The people of Charleston both white and black went out of their way to make sure that did not happen to their city. For that they ALL deserve credit. Kudos to them. Every place in this nation could have a nutcase or two and thankfully the one in Charleston FAILED to start the trouble he intended to start. May those who died in that church RIP.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:08 PM

Citing 'hysteria' over Confederate symbols, McCormick plans to slow down his effort to remove Forrest bust from state Capitol | Local News | Times Free Press

Old 07-08-2015, 09:15 AM

758 posts, read 796,275 times
I have noticed that extremist always use the Confederate battle flag rather than the Confederate flag. I guess they would rather be associated with solders than politicians.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:57 AM

2,773 posts, read 3,676,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
I have noticed that extremist always use the Confederate battle flag rather than the Confederate flag. I guess they would rather be associated with solders than politicians.
No, it's because most of the extremists don't know any better. Many think the rectangular version of the Confederate Battle Flag is the official Confederate Flag. They think it is the "Stars and Bars" (it is not).

Old 07-08-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
No, it's because most of the extremists don't know any better. Many think the rectangular version of the Confederate Battle Flag is the official Confederate Flag. They think it is the "Stars and Bars" (it is not).
Well the rectangular design was added to the Confederate Third National. The ANV flag was in the second national.

I'm pretty up to snuff on my Civil War era flags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or