Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 10:48 AM

9 posts, read 11,320 times

Advertisements

Hi you guys,
I recently got accepted into a DNP program at Union University in Jackson, TN. My hubby and I are parents to 7 and 2 year old daughters. We've heard nothing positive about the school system in Jackson. I will not be working for 3 years while in the program, so private school is out of the question. I went to visit the city Medina because I heard that the school system is great there, but It felt isolated . As an African-American young family, will we be welcome there? I am willing to drive the 30 minute daily to school if my children will be in a good school environment, but I am concern about our safety. The town looked so isolated and I am a bit nervous. I was also thinking about North Jackson since the school is located there. Any advice will be great because we will be moving in 2.5 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 07:07 AM

36,494 posts, read 30,827,524 times
I really don't know anything about that town. The perpetuated extreme racism of southern people is myth. The stereotype based on the worst of our past history is embarrassing for all of this county . Don't get me wrong you may run into isolated racist individuals no matter where you go. In my experience, even in the smallest of Tennessee towns which usually always have a white majority, you will find race relations are very good if not better than some northern cities.

If you feel isolated and uncomfortable in such a small town you might consider North Jackson. Small town living is not for everyone. In some school districts you can send your child to which ever school you choose as long as it is within the same county as long as you are willing to provide transportation. I don't know about the Jackson area but you might want to look into that.

Best of luck with your move.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:04 AM

410 posts, read 802,551 times
Greetings. Congrats on your new opportunity. I'd like to think the South has grown up with regards to racism. In many ways it has. In some ways it has not. However, for the most part attitudes are worlds better than back in the day. That said, the most important thing is to find the best possible school system for your children. Depending on where you currently live, you may find the education levels here different. I don't know anything about Jackson or Medina school systems, but when you arrive ask around.

Don't fear about safety. I think that's not an issue. Finding the right educational background for your children is top priority.

Good luck and welcome to Tennessee!

Old 04-03-2015, 11:09 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Madison Academic High School is one of the best in the state. If that exists in Jackson, perhaps there is a good to great elementary school, as well?

http://mad.jmcss.org/pages/Madison_Academic_High_School

I don't live in that part of the state, but looking at scores off of this website, it seems like Jackson schools are good. That's not first hand info, though.

Thelma Barker Elementary School - 1470 Ashport Rd, Jackson, TN - Trulia

Also, I'm from the North and I think folks in the South seem to get along much better with each other.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:51 PM
Iey

1 posts, read 3,723 times
You've probably already moved but I would definitely move to Medina. Of course it depends on how long you will be living in the area. The elementary schools in Jackson are okay, anything above that is awful. There are a few magnet schools that are VERY hard to get into, because no one wants their kids in the regular school system. I just took a teaching job in Medina in order to get my kids into school there. My husband and I are in the process of purchasing a home there as well. The issue of race is a concern for us too (my husband is African American), but the school situation makes the move necessary. You might have to deal with some ignorance there, but I wouldn't worry about your safety. Jackson is a much more dangerous place to live.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:09 PM

5 posts, read 7,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iey View Post
You've probably already moved but I would definitely move to Medina. Of course it depends on how long you will be living in the area. The elementary schools in Jackson are okay, anything above that is awful. There are a few magnet schools that are VERY hard to get into, because no one wants their kids in the regular school system. I just took a teaching job in Medina in order to get my kids into school there. My husband and I are in the process of purchasing a home there as well. The issue of race is a concern for us too (my husband is African American), but the school situation makes the move necessary. You might have to deal with some ignorance there, but I wouldn't worry about your safety. Jackson is a much more dangerous place to live.
Unless it's changed drastically then Medina is not a very racially diverse area.I grew up in West Tenn. Milan is very close to Medina.Jackson/North Jackson would be better. In the mid 1990's there were still areas of most small towns that blacks were in the most.It was set up that way.In Trenton there was a side of town called 'black people town' but the true word for it was the N. word. not the words black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: