Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 01:59 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times

Advertisements

Which city --and why-- do you find more vibrant and livable? Which is more appealing to the outdoors-lover? Which is friendlier to incomers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 08:14 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
OP, I think they are both vibrant and have lots of outdoor activities. The best advice I can give is to visit both and see which one resonates with you.

Knoxville is famous for mountain biking, though you'll find that in Chatt as well. - Chatt has hang gliding. Both have good whitewater options. Knoxville has taller mountains but they are a bit farther away. Chattanooga has a tourist focus, Knoxville has a university focus, but neither are completely defined by these things.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:50 AM

Thanks, Creeksitter, for your observations...both cities look very appealing...

I like to walk/hike, ride my bike (more Rails-to-Trails rather than mountain biking) and love arts, music, paddling canoes and kayaks, libraries and bookstores, locally-grown fruits and veggies, volunteering...gonna be hard to decide.

Of course, just might stay where currently planted -- I sure hate to move...where did all the "stuff" come from??

Old 07-10-2015, 07:12 AM

Are you going to be looking for work?

Old 07-10-2015, 09:02 AM

...self-employed...

Old 07-10-2015, 09:42 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
I think the Knoxville metro area is more vibrant than the Chattanooga metro area. But I think Chattanooga's core is more vibrant than Knoxville's core--except on Saturdays when U.T. has a home football game, of course. Other than U.T. sports, Knoxville's core doesn't have anything that Chattanooga's core doesn't have, but Chattanooga's core has things that Knoxville's core doesn't have: an aquarium, minor league baseball, Whole Foods, a fantastic children's museum, an IMAX theater. Knoxville is just starting to have a vibrant urban core, whereas Chattanooga has had one for years.

Biking in Chattanooga is fun, and the city is doing what it can to encourage it.

Bike Chattanooga Bicycle Transit System

Chattanooga is also in the process of planning a light rail network across the city.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2014/7/2...-Plan-For.aspx

I also disagree that Chattanooga is more tourist-focused than Knoxville. The core, yes. But the Knoxville area includes the tourist trap gauntlet nightmare of Sevierville-Pigeon Forge-Gatlinburg which is a bajillion times more touristy than anything in the Chattanooga area.

The picture in this article offers what I consider the best view of downtown Chattanooga.

June investment tops $1 billion in the 16-county Chattanooga region last month | Business - Around the Region | Times Free Press

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-10-2015, 11:41 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Chattanooga is an upcoming, rapidly growing community that is being recognized internationally for its progressive vision. It's attracting artists and tech developers. Knoxville is a very nice town with a revitalizing urban core, much like many communities around the nation. Its redevelopment is supported by a growing residential base and continued support from the university's significant population base.

You pick which one fits.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:12 PM

Does Chattanooga have the equivalent of Knoxville's Downtown farmer's market? That draws a lot of people downtown. Also first Friday art walks.

Knoxville has a lot of greenways. That might be the closest equivalent to rails-to-trails. They are paved, though.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:59 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Does Chattanooga have the equivalent of Knoxville's Downtown farmer's market? That draws a lot of people downtown. Also first Friday art walks.
Absolutely. And during the summer it's three days a week: Wednesdays and Sundays in the First Tennessee Pavilion downtown (a large building similar to what Knoxville used to have in Market Square) and Saturdays along the riverfront at the Tennessee Aquarium Plaza. Chattanooga Market also includes live music and entertainment.

http://help.publicmarkets.us/files/2...ket-vendor.png

http://chattanoogamarket.com/wp-cont...3334713532.jpg

http://help.publicmarkets.us/files/2...SizeRender.jpg

http://chattanoogamarket.com/wp-cont...refest2013.jpg

http://help.publicmarkets.us/files/2...31612532_o.jpg

http://help.publicmarkets.us/files/2...13612013_n.jpg

http://chattanoogarivermarket.com/fi...3850208342.jpg

If the OP uses the Internet for work, s/he might be interested to know that Chattanooga (unlike Knoxville) installed fiber optic cables throughout the city and has Internet speeds as high as one gigabit per second, unsurpassed anywhere in the western hemisphere and 200 times faster than the current national average.

Chattanooga Gig: Your Gig is Here.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-12-2015, 06:55 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I think the Knoxville metro area is more vibrant than the Chattanooga metro area. But I think Chattanooga's core is more vibrant than Knoxville's core--except on Saturdays when U.T. has a home football game, of course. Other than U.T. sports, Knoxville's core doesn't have anything that Chattanooga's core doesn't have, but Chattanooga's core has things that Knoxville's core doesn't have: an aquarium, minor league baseball, Whole Foods, a fantastic children's museum, an IMAX theater. Knoxville is just starting to have a vibrant urban core, whereas Chattanooga has had one for years.

Biking in Chattanooga is fun, and the city is doing what it can to encourage it.

Bike Chattanooga Bicycle Transit System

Chattanooga is also in the process of planning a light rail network across the city.

Harr Outlines $40 Million Plan For Chattanooga Light Rail System - Chattanoogan.com

I also disagree that Chattanooga is more tourist-focused than Knoxville. The core, yes. But the Knoxville area includes the tourist trap gauntlet nightmare of Sevierville-Pigeon Forge-Gatlinburg which is a bajillion times more touristy than anything in the Chattanooga area.

The picture in this article offers what I consider the best view of downtown Chattanooga.

June investment tops $1 billion in the 16-county Chattanooga region last month | Business - Around the Region | Times Free Press
^You beat me to it. Knoxville's metro is better and more vibrant, while Chattanooga has the better downtown. Knoxville is playing catch up on residential and retail downtown. Chattanooga keeps making news with jobs announcements from Volkswagen. Both cities could use the jobs boost, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee