U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2015, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 629 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I live in Nashville and am looking for a weekend getaway (3 nights) within 4 hours of Nashville to either camp or rent a cabin. Looking for somewhere scenic and with outdoor activities available, such as hiking, kayaking/canoeing, swimming, etc.

I would like to avoid Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, unless it's someplace outside of the craziness.

This is a opportunity for my boyfriend and I to get way, just the two of us, before he begins police academy training.

Thank you for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 05:42 AM

5,113 posts, read 4,764,763 times
I would head east where it's cooler, higher elevation and where they have great lakes for water fun. Center Hill and Dale Hollow have camping sites on the shore plus some marina's have cabins that you can rent. The nice thing about being close to a marina is being close to a restaurant.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:16 AM

785 posts, read 616,204 times
Take a look at Big South Fork.

Big South Fork National Park, National River and Recreational Area, log cabin vacation retreats, camping, horseback riding, biking, hiking, golfing, fishing, and lots more!

You will notice they have a link devoted to horse camping. It is bring your own horse, I don't think they have a horse rental.

At any rate, BSF covers a LOT of square miles on the Cumberland Plateau and should have something that appeals to you

Old 07-12-2015, 09:15 AM

39,066 posts, read 37,716,477 times
Many of the state parks have VERY nice cabins as well as the activities you mentioned.

Some parks like Montgomery Bell are VERY busy this time of year, but you may be able to find one off the beaten path. You can check this website to find one that fits your needs.

Browse Cabins by Park — Tennessee State Parks

Old 07-12-2015, 06:32 PM

3,454 posts, read 5,859,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstoddar1 View Post
Hello all,

I live in Nashville and am looking for a weekend getaway (3 nights) within 4 hours of Nashville to either camp or rent a cabin. Looking for somewhere scenic and with outdoor activities available, such as hiking, kayaking/canoeing, swimming, etc.

I would like to avoid Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, unless it's someplace outside of the craziness.

This is a opportunity for my boyfriend and I to get way, just the two of us, before he begins police academy training.

Thank you for your suggestions!
Check out cabins in Townsend. My niece from Illinois has been posting pics from there. It looks beautiful. Cabin was 2 story and very nice. There was even a pool for the cabins use.

For camping maybe check out BackBone Rock area. We day tripped for a get together with family once and I know there was a campground just a little ways from the rock. There is a creek with a waterfall and really pretty there.
Damascus Inn Backbone Rock Recreation Area | Damascus Old Mill Inn

And maybe head to Bristol Caverns in East Tennessee. Not sure what campground is closest.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:00 AM

5,419 posts, read 8,210,342 times
There are cute cabins at Cumberland mountain state park in Crossville - elevation is about 2000'. There is a lake with canoes & Kayaks for rent.

Black mountain is east of there in Crab orchard with trails and rock formations. As is Ozone falls which is amazing.

Tellico Plains is a bit further but you get to the high elevations without the traffic on the cherehola parkway. The developed camping is at the lower elevations.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:14 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,162,310 times
I have a cabin in Townsend but if I were a hardline camper or didn't need the typical conveniences of modern living... I'd probably look around Coker Creek and camp in Cherokee National forest. Unlimited hiking and camping without the National Park crowds.

Last edited by JMT; 07-14-2015 at 08:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or