U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 02:08 PM

8,179 posts, read 14,276,689 times

Advertisements

I moved to TN from Staten Island 3 years ago. We moved to west TN - but we are retired and not concerned with jobs or schools. I do not recommend this area for you. But if you are moving to avoid the snow, NE TN (tri-cities area) is going to have the most snow. Moving just a little west (and further down the mountains), you will find areas that are going to have less snow. Actually, just follow I-40 west and you will find prices go down along with the amount of snow. Almost all of TN is great for outdoorsy, hiding, boating, lakes/rivers activities.

Job situations - as above posters have stated, Cookeville, Knoxville, Nashville, tri-cities area are going to be your best bets in terms of jobs. The cities down here are nothing like NYC and I still joke when driving in/around Nashville in the 4-5:30 pm "rush-hour" while doing 60 that the rushminute will end very quickly. The key to affordable housing is to not rent in the immediate city area, be it Knoxville, Nashville, etc. Look at the surrounding areas and you'll find that you can probably rent a house within your budget.

Good luck in your job search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 06:24 PM

3 posts, read 2,039 times
Evilinacloset716, I have a different answer, move to Vancouver, Washington. Everything that you want is there. Your job description? My son works for Customer Service and makes $35k a year. Your husbands career? Plenty of gyms there and most people are health conscious in that region of Portland/Vancouver. Mild weather and Winters have a dusting of snow. Outdoors? Drive a half hour to snow in the Cascade Mtns. Hood is for sking and snow boarding. Hiking is all over the place. Half the population bikes to work. Area grows a lot of fruit. Farms are everywhere. Rent is affordable in comparison to salaries. I am from NYC originally, my hobby there is off-roading. The beach or the Pacific is an hour and a half away. Due to the Asian population there, Safeway Supermarkets have a "in-house" Chinese restaurant set up for eating in or taking out at cheap prices. There are Mexican retaurants like "Muchas Gracias" that are cheap and give large portions. A family of four can eat for five dollars.
As an old man of 67 yrs. I can tell you the biggest mistake of Easterners is that they stay east of the Missippi River. Few dare to go to the awesome Pacific Northwest. Try it, you'll thank me!

Old 07-26-2015, 12:21 PM

2,280 posts, read 932,610 times
I just moved out of TN back up north...

Nashville, TN has the best infrastructure and some sections of it are walkable if you aren't into driving. There are also public transportation options but they aren't as available or 24/7 like they were in the NYC area naturally. The job market in Nashville is primarily health-care based but there are some other industries...job market is kind of slumpy here but seems to be picking up a bit. Personally, I probably would not have minded TN as much if I could have lived around the Nashville area.

Murfreesboro is a smaller city southeast of Nashville that offers reasonable cost of living and has decent employment prospects.

Knoxville is a cheaper to live in than Nashville but has less conveniences. Job market is so-so but not as bad as other areas of the state. Not far from the Great Smoky Mountains, so that is a big plus for outdoorsy activities...

Chattanooga is a smaller town and is surrounded by mountains...very pretty setting. The big employer here is TVA and there are lots of other large employers in this small city so they actually have a pretty low unemployment rate. A lot of the companies pay fairly well. I had actually looked into a job here, but instead accepted the offer up north because we are originally from up north and I miss the snow, culture, etc. Chattanooga is easy to navigate and lots to do in and around. It's also easy to access via the major interstates which is a must for me--not sure about you.

Memphis is pretty walkable/accessible via public transportation downtown but you need to be careful where you go because its crime rate is up there with the likes of Detroit/Chicago/DC...well, you get the idea. The job market in Memphis is pretty depressed. Memphis does have a lot of activities to do like most larger cities, but renting a place in a decent neighborhood is probably going to exceed what you want to pay for a rental unit. I had looked into it (my job I left was in the West TN area) and the rents were going for $1100 for a 2-bedroom apartment). Cost of living not really high except for the rent...oh, and that lovely TN 9% tax on EVERYTHING...including your groceries.

The one city I would tell you to avoid would probably be Jackson, TN. Generally if you stay Nashville or east, you are pretty much okay.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:08 AM

8,179 posts, read 14,276,689 times
You tell the OP to avoid Jackson but give no reason at all. Personally, I love Jackson - but since we didn't want to live in a city, we moved south of it. It's a city by TN standards but not much more than a large town by comparison to the NYC/NJ metro area. Heck, even compared to RI's big towns, Jackson isn't a city.

It has:
rural areas that are still within the city areas: horse farms, aggy farms,
a decent regional hospital - actually has 2,
shopping - just about any store you could want, except a Rite-Aid or Publix,
public transportation,
lots of money being spent on revitalizing the downtown recently.

I probably make 2 trips a week to Jackson for one reason or another: doctors, vet, shopping, and animal rescue volunteering. It's easy to get to, traffic is never horrible (by Northeast standards), and the weather is great - almost no snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or