U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 03:08 PM

385 posts, read 482,548 times

Advertisements

What city in eastern TN would be the closest in size and character to Asheville NC? My brother and I are both looking at these two areas, he has a little more interest in TN I believe but Asheville NC looks awesome. But I am open to considering a city in eastern TN that is like Asheville NC if such a city exists. Population around 80,000 to 100,000; airport for flights in and out on popular airlines; parks and outdoor recreation; a college or university; culture such as symphony, stage play theatres; very importantly no sprawl, what I mean is I would want to drive out of the city's downtown no more than 15 minutes such that I would not see any more of the city or other cities, I don't want a city that is just part of a large metropolitan sprawl area. Any ideas for such a city in eastern TN? Thank you in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 03:21 PM

5,833 posts, read 6,914,857 times
The two that come to mind are Knoxville and Chattanooga. However Ashville is quite unique in many ways and nothing is going to be quite the same. Knoxville and Chattanooga are far more conservative and traditionally southern in ways that Ashville is not. Ashville is considered almost to be a artsy hippy town, really one of a kind in the South. Also Ashville is right in the mountains. Gatlinburg is the only sizeable TN town that is in the mountains but it is really just a tourist town. The Tennessee side of the mountains is mostly national park or other public forest land. Most of East Tennessee residents live in the valley. Given this reality the climate of Knoxville and Chattanooga are more what you would expect in the upper south, mild winters and hot humid summers. Ashville is at almost 3000 feet so it has a cooler climate. Snow in the winters and warm milder summers are the norm.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The two that come to mind are Knoxville and Chattanooga....
Anything with a population more around 80,000 to 100,000? I see both Knoxville and Chattanooga look to be around 180,000 population.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
Anything with a population more around 80,000 to 100,000? I see both Knoxville and Chattanooga look to be around 180,000 population.

You could look up toward the Tri Cities. That area may suit your needs.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
You could look up toward the Tri Cities....
Tri Cities? Can I buy a vowel? What are the Tri Cities

Old 07-29-2015, 03:40 PM

Sorry, didn't think about you not hearing that term before. Johnson City, Kingsport and Bristol TN. They are in far northeast TN and are not that far from one another. I don't spend much time up there so I don't know a lot about it but its a pretty area.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:45 PM

4,093 posts, read 3,386,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
Tri Cities? Can I buy a vowel? What are the Tri Cities
I'll take a W Pat (Wikipedia is our friend )

Tri-Cities, Tennessee

"Tri-Cities" refers to the region comprising the cities of Kingsport, Johnson City, and Bristol and the surrounding smaller towns and communities in Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-Cities,_Tennessee

Old 07-29-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I'll take a W Pat (Wikipedia is our friend )
Tri-Cities, Tennessee
"Tri-Cities" refers to the region comprising the cities of Kingsport, Johnson City, and Bristol and the surrounding smaller towns and communities in Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-Cities,_Tennessee
Thank you!

Old 07-29-2015, 07:32 PM

5,419 posts, read 8,201,788 times
Since size matters, Johnson City is your best choice. It is geographically the closest to Asheville which is good because you may want to go there for cultural offerings.

You might investigate entertainment offerings at the Niswonger center in Greenville which is close enough for an evening out. Jonesborogh is even closer and has festivals.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:47 AM

597 posts, read 628,740 times
You need to take a very hard look at Johnson City as it is really the closest fit to what you are describing. It is right at the foot of the mountains with great views and you can be out of the city and in a rural area in 5 minutes. The city's population is roughly 65,000 which isn't much less than Asheville's. It is the home of East Tennessee State University which has around 15,000 students and brings a young and diverse population to the city.

There are good parks, a symphony, a couple theater groups, and numerous events put on by the University. Downtown Johnson City is also in the midst of an extraordinary revitalization reminiscent of what took place in Asheville a generation ago. There is a decent sized earthy/funky/alternative population that gives the city a different feel compared to the rest of Northeast TN. There is a new rails-to-trails project (Tweetsie Trail), a new farmers market pavilion, and a new park downtown that offers everything from Saturday morning yoga, a Friday evening drum circle, and in September, Shakespeare plays. There is also a strong "buy local" mentality, numerous local food outlets, and a food co-op in the works that would be only the second in TN.

The airport, Tri-Cities Regional, is small but offers flights from Delta and US Airways/American to Atlanta and Charlotte, respectively, as well as flights on Allegiant to Orlando and Clearwater. Prices are no higher than Asheville Regional and are competitive for airports of this size.

While Asheville is unique and no city can really replicate it, Johnson City will be the closest you will find in TN. It is still a work in progress but it is an exciting time to be living here with all of the development occurring. Best of all, Asheville is under an hour away making weekend day-trips a breeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee