U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2015, 11:33 AM
 
4,743 posts, read 8,439,376 times
Reputation: 4019

Advertisements

TinBo - a picture of the 'alleged' murderer surfaced in which he was holding a CSA battle flag. Note that he was also wearing a Gold's Gym t-shirt. Where's the outrage over that?

 
Old 08-04-2015, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
20,015 posts, read 20,514,746 times
Reputation: 20369
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinBo View Post
Yeah, Nashvols, how did the attention go from a single man killing some Blacks to being about the Confederate flag? I don't even remember it being in the equation. Did the gunman wave around the flag while shooting, or was it just a political move like everyone said?

It's a shame that the flag is associated with racism so easily. I'm perfectly fine with people having it...I just wouldn't talk to anyone who carries around or wears a Confederate flag. And if I meet someone who does but doesn't automatically hate me or is even someone I get along nicely with, I'll take it as a pleasant surprise.
I'm not sure why anyone would automatically hate you or what that has to do with the flag. Unless you are saying only those who identify with a racist white supremacy group would have a confederate battle flag in which case seems contradictory to your previous statement.
 
Old 08-04-2015, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
20,015 posts, read 20,514,746 times
Reputation: 20369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
TinBo - a picture of the 'alleged' murderer surfaced in which he was holding a CSA battle flag. Note that he was also wearing a Gold's Gym t-shirt. Where's the outrage over that?
OMG, I didn't know that. Gold's Gym must represent racism. We should ban it.
I should be outraged but somehow Im not.
 
Old 08-04-2015, 12:17 PM
 
6,385 posts, read 10,368,030 times
Reputation: 6533
Don't get me wrong, I'm not offended by the flag or ashamed of it. I just think all of this hoopla is dumb on both sides of it.
 
Old 08-04-2015, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Memphis, TN
217 posts, read 134,733 times
Reputation: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I'm not sure why anyone would automatically hate you or what that has to do with the flag. Unless you are saying only those who identify with a racist white supremacy group would have a confederate battle flag in which case seems contradictory to your previous statement.
How did you get "only those who identify with a racist white supremacy group would have a confederate battle flag" from my post?

Well, maybe that's a fault of what I've been raised up to believe. I was always told since I was a little boy by my Black mother and White father, to the point that I was in college by my history and African-American history teacher, that something, something, the Confederacy supported or at least didn't mind the idea of slavery, which seems soooorta anti-African-American, to me. So, according to what I have been told, it can be assumed that anyone who believes in the Confederacy or their heritage coming from it can be assumed to at least not mind the slavery of African-Americans, which is then, in most people's minds, is simplified and boiled down to "if you're Confederate, you just straight-out hate Blacks."

I'm willing to believe that just because someone takes pride in their Confederate inheritance, especially anyone in this generation, it doesn't automatically mean they hate Blacks, it's just not that simple. It's just that from what I've heard all my life, I've kind of gotten naturally skiddish, is all.

Last edited by TinBo; 08-04-2015 at 12:47 PM..
 
Old 08-04-2015, 01:03 PM
 
4,813 posts, read 5,438,693 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinBo View Post

I'm mostly am talking about in rural towns. I don't know if more of them has been put up by neighbors and citizens, or if it's just something that I just began to notice, but it seems like ever since that shooting happened, there's been a lot more Confederate flags around...not that it's a problem to ME.
YES! I live in the mountains of North Georgia. All of a sudden, I've seen several trucks with large Confederate flags prominently flapping from the back.

In over a decade here, I'd only seen that once.
 
Old 08-04-2015, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
20,015 posts, read 20,514,746 times
Reputation: 20369
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinBo View Post
How did you get "only those who identify with a racist white supremacy group would have a confederate battle flag" from my post?

Well, maybe that's a fault of what I've been raised up to believe. I was always told since I was a little boy by my Black mother and White father, to the point that I was in college by my history and African-American history teacher, that something, something, the Confederacy supported or at least didn't mind the idea of slavery, which seems soooorta anti-African-American, to me. So, according to what I have been told, it can be assumed that anyone who believes in the Confederacy or their heritage coming from it can be assumed to at least not mind the slavery of African-Americans, which is then, in most people's minds, is simplified and boiled down to "if you're Confederate, you just straight-out hate Blacks."

I'm willing to believe that just because someone takes pride in their Confederate inheritance, especially anyone in this generation, it doesn't automatically mean they hate Blacks, it's just not that simple. It's just that from what I've heard all my life, I've kind of gotten naturally skiddish, is all.
Im not sure why you would not talk to a person with a confederate flag and would assume they would hate you and be surprised if they didnt unless you think only those associated with the flag were idiot white supremacist hiding behind that flag to spread their hate. The statement just struck me as odd.

All I can say is do some research on the ACTUAL history of the civil war, slavery and racism, including actual documents, letters, and timelines as well throw in some 1800's sociology.

I remember studying American history in jr. high school. Civil war was a short chapter and basically said Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves. Well upon further study I found that's not exactly accurate and that war was so complex people still cant figure it all out. I think the number of people that identify with that flag (excluding the crazies and occasional extreme backwards redneck) certainly don't support slavery, don't hate blacks and aren't racists. I'm sorry that you feel that way. I think a lot of the folks displaying the flag now are only doing it because the PC police are telling them they cant.

I agree with Nashvols that all the hoopla is unnecessary and dumb on both sides.
 
Old 08-04-2015, 01:35 PM
 
5,458 posts, read 6,127,125 times
Reputation: 13951
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetropolitanTN View Post
Its annoying and makes me feel shame as a native Southerner to see it.

Don't let it get you down. I find it quite scary, knowing what the flag stands for and seeing the ignorance, bigotry and racism SO openly displayed. But all they are doing is reminding us that it is here, needs to be cautiously avoided, and it will fade with successive generations.

Tennessee is the birthplace of the KKK and this uproar with the flag reminds us that we need to be vigilant against those people who would tear down years/decades of advancement in our country. It is sad, but nevertheless, an important awakening to be careful. Just like religious zealots, I don't think they mean any harm, necessarily, but their message is frightening and harkens back to another time...an ugly time..in our country.

Carry on. The Union is secure. The flag has a tremendous history and the story deserves to be told in a museum. I am sure there are those patriots among us that will ensure that is exactly how this current increase of flag incidents will resolve.
 
Old 08-04-2015, 01:38 PM
 
16,724 posts, read 13,676,345 times
Reputation: 40996
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetropolitanTN View Post
Its annoying and makes me feel shame as a native Southerner to see it.
I'm also a born & raised southerner, I'm white, and I've always associated that flag with trashy rednecks.
 
Old 08-04-2015, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
20,015 posts, read 20,514,746 times
Reputation: 20369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

Tennessee is the birthplace of the KKK and this uproar with the flag reminds us that we need to be vigilant against those people who would tear down years/decades of advancement in our country. It is sad, but nevertheless, an important awakening to be careful. Just like religious zealots, I don't think they mean any harm, necessarily, but their message is frightening and harkens back to another time...an ugly time..in our country.
It is scary that people think a flag can tear down decades of advancement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I'm also a born & raised southerner, I'm white, and I've always associated that flag with trashy rednecks.
I guess everyone has their own association. I was born in the north of southern heritage and moved to the south as a teen. I associate the flag with the organization of the sons and daughters of the confederacy who honor those who died in the civil war or Lynard Skynard. Growing up, when I saw it at all, that's what it was representing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top