U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:28 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,927,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
My boss had a mean cat. One day it attacked a visitor in there home. They had to take her to the ER. Cat was quarantined for a period of time. When he went to pick up the cat, employees had bandaged arms, told him he had to get his cat out of the back room where it was locked up. The cat was banished to outside after that. They lived in Knoxville and had been burglarized before. One day he heard someone trying to “jimmy” the window, then heard squalling and screaming. When he looked out a man was running away thru the field with his cat firmly attached to the back of the man’s head and shoulders. That’s the last time he saw the cat.
LOL! Too funny! Serves the guy right for trying to get in! So an attack cat would just as good as a dog for protection! Too bad mine are whimps. They wouldn't hurt a fly. Well .....they would kill a fly, but that's beside the point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 04:41 PM

9,071 posts, read 21,557,891 times
Quote:
My boss had a mean cat. One day it attacked a visitor in there home. They had to take her to the ER. Cat was quarantined for a period of time. When he went to pick up the cat, employees had bandaged arms, told him he had to get his cat out of the back room where it was locked up. The cat was banished to outside after that. They lived in Knoxville and had been burglarized before. One day he heard someone trying to “jimmy” the window, then heard squalling and screaming. When he looked out a man was running away thru the field with his cat firmly attached to the back of the man’s head and shoulders. That’s the last time he saw the cat.
An attack cat! I love it!!! But it's too bad he never saw the cat again.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEANNE61 View Post
yrs ago . in ny , i had a giant 22 lb siamese . .for many yrs. . one day my kid brother brought home a doberman puppie . .who eventually reached 120 lbs ..
one day the dog tried to put his nose on my mother's knee , while she was sitting in a recliner with cat on her lap . . that cat SLAPPED that puppy so hard on the nose, he never came near that cat again . .and we had them both another 12 yrs . .
my point? ... it depends on the animal .. most cats will protect themselves . not to mention they can usually get around and away quicker than any puppy .

as for a camera outside. . i found one in a mail order catalog once (in wpb fla) ...it just LOOKED like a camera .. had a red light on all the time . but that's all it was .. .a black box that looked like a camera . .
never had a problem in that house. .

the fire alarms do sound like a good thing tho . .

good luck , no matter which you choose ..
Jeanne
That's a great story. Gotta love when a cat rules! They crack me up. Even though they are smaller, they have no fear!

I saw one of your other post Jeanne. Where in West Palm Beach are you from? I moved from there too, last August. I was in Lake Worth. Not downtown though.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:38 AM

11,291 posts, read 11,238,366 times
When I was young and working in the local greezy spoons I heard several stories by the old timers about being attacked by feral cats jumping out of trees while out hunting. They may have been pulling my leg, but made me look up every now and then when I was in the woods.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
When I was young and working in the local greezy spoons I heard several stories by the old timers about being attacked by feral cats jumping out of trees while out hunting. They may have been pulling my leg, but made me look up every now and then when I was in the woods.
We had a ton of ferals in Florida. Some neighbors and I would feed as many as we could, we felt so bad for them and the city wouldn't do anything. We tried to get them in shelters, but once they heard feral, they said continue to feed and water them. Not much else you can do. Some were friendly and others you just stayed away from. They would attack you if you made them feel cornered. They can be pretty scary little creatures.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:57 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,105,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyOne View Post
I respectfully disagree. Some adult cats will not tolerate any dog, no matter what. I say this from experience. Also I strongly disagree with bringing any hunting breed into a household with cats. Their hunting instincts can override everything else, and they may attack a cat. There is a dog website where this is discussed at length, and the breeds for cat owners to avoid are listed. Unfortunately, I don't remember the URL.
I guess it's all cats are individuals, just like humans. I've been the happy owner of four beagles over the last 25 years and they are big rabbit hunting dogs. All of my beagles got along great with my cats. We introduced kittens to full grown dogs, and puppies to full grown cats, over the years and they always found a way to get along. In fact, they sleep together and groom each other. They romp and play together. So I guess everyone's "mileage may vary". My older cats...over 4 years old, don't really play with the dogs anymore, but they are clearly attached to them. My brother owned an enormous mastiff whose best friend was the kitty. He's had 4 dogs and 3 cats at one time. All the cats were strays that he took in, and all of them adjusted to the dogs. They didn't necessarily LOVE the dogs.The only time I have had trouble with owning dogs and cats together is introducing an adult dog, with a strong prey instinct, to an adult cat. Our cat Scratchy and our border collie/lab mix Tayah have been a poor match. They tolerate each other indoors, but Scratchy is no longer allowed outside, because we can't be there to monitor the outdoor action. Tayah will chase if Scratchy runs and we don't want that to happen, cuz' Tayah is so fast. So, in part, I agree with what you say.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:17 AM

59 posts, read 127,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
A person needs to take into account a variety of things before investing in an alarm system, such as whether they live rural or metro, cost of installation and monitoring, etc...

Loud or not, if you live in a rural area, by the time the signal is sent to the monitoring center, the return call is made to the home, then a call placed with a police, the response time for the police to arrive on premise can be significant enough to allow a criminal to walk out with every valuable thing you own and be at a pawn shop before the police even arrive. In metro areas this isn't so much of a concern provided that the company who installed the system did a good job and it is maintained well because false alarm charges can add up.

With the progress of technology, I have noticed a trend towards video systems, as most are capable of monitoring by a persons cell phone or from the web. Most have options to allow for alarm triggers to set off horns or bells and you don't have to pay for monitoring fees. Prices are now comparable to most alarm systems and can also double as nanny cams to keep an eye on housekeepers, babysitters, or contractors.
If a an alarm horn/siren goes off around here, neighbors investigate. We also generally know who belongs and who doesn't. It's a very rural area.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:37 AM

11,128 posts, read 8,664,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyOne View Post
If a an alarm horn/siren goes off around here, neighbors investigate. We also generally know who belongs and who doesn't. It's a very rural area.
Nosey neighbors are a great asset if you live in a rural area. With the prevalence of so many car and home alarms today, most people hear an alarm and pay little mind to it or consider it more of a nuisance than anything.

I elected to have a camera system installed that allows me to monitor my exterior as well as interior of my home. I can view the inside/outside of my home at anytime and from anywhere in the world, even my cell. In addition, If I am ever robbed or an intruder enters my domain, I have a picture of WHO was trespassing which I can then forward to the local authorities or print them out a copy.

Best part was that the equipment cost were about the same as a three year security system contract and I can take my system with me if I ever move and no monthly fees.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:03 PM

3,454 posts, read 4,759,186 times
TN hilltopper, so it's not an alarm system, just a pure surveillance camera system?

That'd be useful on a lot of levels! I wonder if they have those motion-activated...hmmm better check with hubby; we get a discount on adt stuff...

Old 01-31-2008, 12:05 PM

59 posts, read 127,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim918 View Post
How hard is that to do? Any suggestions on what system to buy? Name brands etc?
It's not hard. You do have to do a little bit of studying. Google is your friend in that regard. You should also be comfortable with basic 12 volt DC wiring. Being handy with tools is pretty much required.

I bought a Caddx system and added a Visonic wireless receiver and Visonic wireless infra-red motion detectors designed not be triggered by pets (pet tolerant). Both came with good instructions. The Caddx manual was very good.

As an additional precaution, the IR motion detectors (only) are cross zoned, which means any two of them have to be triggered within a certain time window to trip the alarm. On the other hand, opening a door trips the alarm immediately. The system has been in and running perfectly for almost five years. We have never had one of our critters trigger an alarm.

This type of custom programming (partial cross zoning) takes a bit of time. It also takes some knowledge of the house and its occupants' traffic patterns and proclivities. As an example, it you have a cat that climbs curtains, you have to deal with that animal differently than you would with a small lap dog or a cat that doesn't climb curtains.

I doubt that most installers working for the big alarm companies take the kind of time necessary to get the system really optimized for a particular family. I suspect that most customers get a more or less generic installation. I can guarantee that one company in particular does a really crappy job. They also sell wireless window transmitters that communicate the entire time that a window is open (as opposed to briefly when it is opened, and again when it is closed) which guarantees a flat battery in short order and puts the alarm system into an error condition requiring a service call.

The homeowners then find out that their monitoring contract doesn't cover the service call or the battery, which is only obtainable from the alarm company, of course.

To bad I can't name that compay on this forum.

Last edited by SandyOne; 01-31-2008 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee