Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 09:40 AM

59 posts, read 188,318 times

Advertisements

Alarm monitoring is one of the biggest rackets going. They install a system that might cost them $2-300 installed, at the most, and then sock you $30+ a month for years. Not only that, but they will lock out the system so that only their techs can change its settings, so that you can't use it with another company.

A better alternative is to install your own system and sign up with one of the private monitoring companies. Your monthly cost will be less than half what you'll pay with the big names, and you will receive just as good a service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 11:33 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,420,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim918 View Post
Have the smith and wesson security system already LOL!

Thanks to all of you for your advice on this matter. Looks like "Dog" would be the best preventitive measure. To bad I have 4 Kitties, so a dog is probably out of the question! LOL! I didn't think of the fire or medical aspect of a security system. In my mind I thought only about break ins. I have always assumed that when a crook sees a sign out there, he would just wouldn't bother, when he/she could just find one that was easier prey. Maybe not! Thanks again for all your thoughts on this subject.

On the contrary, I have 2 rottweiler and 6 cats - they all get along extremely well. As long as you get a dog that is socialized with cats there won't be a problem in most cases. I'd avoid dogs that are hunting breeds as they tend to have a higher prey drive and will be more likely to chase them. Even training them doesn't remove their natural instinct or hundreds of years of breeding. However, the guard breeds would be ideal. The rotts, mastiffs, etc were bred for guard purposes. I'd avoid - please understand I'm generalizing and know that there are plenty people in the world with these breeds that get along just fine with cats and people have had rotts and mastiffs that eat cats, I'm simply generalizing - the husky breeds, GSD, labs, etc.

Hubby and I have thought many times that we'd like to go to just a couple small dogs. We've had 3 rotts - all have been phenomenal pets. We had a 182 pound mastiff. I've had other rotts and pits. They've all been big dogs, and we've loved everyone but we've thought of how nice it would be to have just a couple little chis that we can pick up and go if we need to. But we were talking about it at breakfast this morning and for security reasons I just dont see us ever living without at least one large dog.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 9,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyOne View Post
Alarm monitoring is one of the biggest rackets going. They install a system that might cost them $2-300 installed, at the most, and then sock you $30+ a month for years. Not only that, but they will lock out the system so that only their techs can change its settings, so that you can't use it with another company.

A better alternative is to install your own system and sign up with one of the private monitoring companies. Your monthly cost will be less than half what you'll pay with the big names, and you will receive just as good a service.
Actualy they do one better than that, they use special chipsets that only they can monitor.

I own an alarm comapny and I do not do business that way.

Also some of the comments about alarms don't work are way off base, If I put one in for you then I can tell you that they will be deaf if they stay in your house very long. But seriously, an alarm is supposed to basicly scare the perp off. the way ADt puts them in that siren is a joke so there you have it.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:59 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dralarms View Post
Actualy they do one better than that, they use special chipsets that only they can monitor.

I own an alarm comapny and I do not do business that way.

Also some of the comments about alarms don't work are way off base, If I put one in for you then I can tell you that they will be deaf if they stay in your house very long. But seriously, an alarm is supposed to basicly scare the perp off. the way ADt puts them in that siren is a joke so there you have it.
A person needs to take into account a variety of things before investing in an alarm system, such as whether they live rural or metro, cost of installation and monitoring, etc...

Loud or not, if you live in a rural area, by the time the signal is sent to the monitoring center, the return call is made to the home, then a call placed with a police, the response time for the police to arrive on premise can be significant enough to allow a criminal to walk out with every valuable thing you own and be at a pawn shop before the police even arrive. In metro areas this isn't so much of a concern provided that the company who installed the system did a good job and it is maintained well because false alarm charges can add up.

With the progress of technology, I have noticed a trend towards video systems, as most are capable of monitoring by a persons cell phone or from the web. Most have options to allow for alarm triggers to set off horns or bells and you don't have to pay for monitoring fees. Prices are now comparable to most alarm systems and can also double as nanny cams to keep an eye on housekeepers, babysitters, or contractors.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:19 PM

36,503 posts, read 30,820,705 times
I have 5, Tahlulla, Champ, Monk, Rocky and Diabelo.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:13 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,958,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyOne View Post

How hard is that to do? Any suggestions on what system to buy? Name brands etc?

Old 01-28-2008, 02:30 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,741,584 times
Your cats will usually tolerate a dog if the dog is a small pup when you obtain it. It seems like most animals "make allowances" for babies. If the dog is raised with cats as older "siblings" it will not hurt the cats and the cats will accept the dog.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:08 PM

24,766 posts, read 28,505,227 times
Currently doing research on a new widget for security. From what I have been told for less than $500 bucks you can get a stand alone IP camera the size of a filter on a cigarette, that connects wireless ? via Blue Tooth too a black box the size of a pack of cigarette. That you connect too your high speed internet or phone line. No computer needed. The IP gives you a address too your home computer - lap top - black berry or cell phone. When motion accrues it triggers the IP camera for as long as you want it too run,that sends the signal too your computer - black berry -cell phone so you can see whats going on. From my understanding the IP camera works in low light level and in color.This IP camera will work indoor or outdoor. Still searching for more info...........

Old 01-28-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Your cats will usually tolerate a dog if the dog is a small pup when you obtain it. It seems like most animals "make allowances" for babies. If the dog is raised with cats as older "siblings" it will not hurt the cats and the cats will accept the dog.
I respectfully disagree. Some adult cats will not tolerate any dog, no matter what. I say this from experience. Also I strongly disagree with bringing any hunting breed into a household with cats. Their hunting instincts can override everything else, and they may attack a cat. There is a dog website where this is discussed at length, and the breeds for cat owners to avoid are listed. Unfortunately, I don't remember the URL.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Currently doing research on a new widget for security. From what I have been told for less than $500 bucks you can get a stand alone IP camera the size of a filter on a cigarette, that connects wireless ? via Blue Tooth too a black box the size of a pack of cigarette. That you connect too your high speed internet or phone line. No computer needed. The IP gives you a address too your home computer - lap top - black berry or cell phone. When motion accrues it triggers the IP camera for as long as you want it too run,that sends the signal too your computer - black berry -cell phone so you can see whats going on. From my understanding the IP camera works in low light level and in color.This IP camera will work indoor or outdoor. Still searching for more info...........
They usually talk to an ethernet port, wireless access point, or router. Bluetooth range is pretty short. Any camera that can connect to a PC can use motion detecting software on the PC, but I have never seen any package that would make a good burglar alarm for the average home owner. That may have changed.

Let us know what you find. I'm interested in this sort of stuff. Just haven't had a lot of time to pursue it lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee