U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 11:09 AM

20 posts, read 35,534 times

Advertisements

I have lots of questions for an upcoming move. Especially need recommendations on where to buy.

We like country living. Open space, trees, rolling hills, maybe a little creek or pond. Ideal property would be a medium size house, say 3500 sq ft, on 2+ acres and preferably no HOA. Under $350,000. Under a 20 minute drive would be nice, but if there are better quality areas (more rural and/or scenic) further out then so be it.

So given the above what areas should we look at first? Looking at google images I see ridges and waterways to the Southwest that look interesting.

Are there any difference in property taxes rates? Some homes seem to have high taxes compared to the market value?

What can we expect to pay for home owners insurance for a $300,000 home?
How about utilities?

As far as shopping and entertainment what are the go to towns, cities?

How friendly is the government to home business? Low regulation?

Are there any local shooting ranges? How is the hunting access in the state? Mostly leased private?

How often do they typically issue tornado alerts during the season? I mean will we be ducking for cover every other day? Lol. I assume we need to be careful not to buy in a flood zone?

Ok, I think that will do it for now. Appreciate any and all advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 03:31 PM

785 posts, read 615,153 times
-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj.johnson View Post
i have lots of questions for an upcoming move. Especially need recommendations on where to buy. :d

we like country living. :d open space, trees, rolling hills, maybe a little creek or pond. Ideal property would be a medium size house, say 3500 sq ft, on 2+ acres and preferably no hoa. Under $350,000. Under a 20 minute drive would be nice, but if there are better quality areas (more rural and/or scenic) further out then so be it. i can't help with that one. I live in the toolies in a house worth much less. A realtor from the arnold area (tullahoma, manchester, winchester) would be your best bet.

Also look at realtracs real estate mid-south property finder for those areas. The sewanee area might work but coming down off i-24 in the winter can be a real b****. That section can ice over in a skinny minute. Sewanee also has a big private college so that might be a deterrent. I think it is " college of the south".

so given the above what areas should we look at first? Looking at google images i see ridges and waterways to the southwest that look interesting.

Are there any difference in property taxes rates? Some homes seem to have high taxes compared to the market value? taxes vary by county

what can we expect to pay for home owners insurance for a $300,000 home? also varies by county and there can be some big differences between insurance companies
how about utilities?each county has their own co-op. Again, rates and service quality varies.

as far as shopping and entertainment what are the go to towns, cities? if you' re settling near arnold, chattanooga is closer than nashville but nashville would be well worth a long weekend. They have the sounds (baseball), titans (football), predators(hockey) excellent theatre, plus all the music.. And you can also enjoy bonaroo when it comes to the 700 acre farm just off i-24 near manchester, in the summer:d

how friendly is the government to home business? Low regulation?

Are there any local shooting ranges? How is the hunting access in the state? Mostly leased private

hopefully some else can help on these. I will say to stay off my road when hunting, if you want your truck to still be on wheels when you get back to it

how often do they typically issue tornado alerts during the season? I mean will we be ducking for cover every other day? Lol.we see our share. I've seen them go right over the barn and not touch down. Some areas do seem to be on a constant path..

i assume we need to be careful not to buy in a flood zone?correct. The insurance premium will cost you a couple of typing fingers.

ok, i think that will do it for now. Appreciate any and all advice.
-----

Old 09-13-2015, 03:13 PM

5,750 posts, read 3,035,945 times
Are you military or civilian moving into the area? If military a couple of things to note. The housing area is brand new under a commercial property manager. Pretty nice units located right on Woods Resevoir so lake front living on base. The down side is the military numbers are very small so it doesn't have all the amenities of most bases. But does have boats, campground, and cabins on the lake. Lets see if I can answer some of your other questions below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ.Johnson View Post
I have lots of questions for an upcoming move. Especially need recommendations on where to buy.

We like country living. Open space, trees, rolling hills, maybe a little creek or pond. Ideal property would be a medium size house, say 3500 sq ft, on 2+ acres and preferably no HOA. Under $350,000. Under a 20 minute drive would be nice, but if there are better quality areas (more rural and/or scenic) further out then so be it.

So given the above what areas should we look at first? Looking at google images I see ridges and waterways to the Southwest that look interesting.
First thing, there are a lot of areas to pick from, but most drives will be 20 minutes simply because the cantonment area is so large. There are 20 thousand something acres surrounding the main complex so you actually drive on base for a good distance before reaching the gate. The good part is, if you are into hunting and fishing, the base is a game management area run by the state wildlife during hunting season and there is a 5000 acre lake on base accessible for fishing, skiing, sailing, and waterfowl in season.

Ok on to houses. When you say like country living, how rural do you mean? The three main cities are Tullahoma, Manchester, and Winchester. They are basically the points of a triangle with the base in the middle. But even they are not really cities as most people thing of them. There are developments within each of an acre. Go outside and you can find several mini farm type developments of around 5 acres. And of course there is a lot of farm country around. Go bit further out and now we're talking Hooterville type of rural. The village of Normandy outside Tullahoma is a classic small village, but there is also a new home development there so there are plenty of new houses on large lots for those who want semi rural living. So there is a huge choice.

For $350K, there are a LOT of choices in that range. That buys a lot of house in this area, so part of the question is how much house vs how much acreage. House designs are pretty typical what you would see in a lot of the south, but recall, most have no basement unless it happens to be build on a hill side. In Tullahoma, Macon Manor and the golf course have beautiful homes, but of course on smaller lots with a HOA.

Going more toward Shelbyville, there are a lot of horse farms. It's the center of the Walking Horse breeding and hosts the Celebration each year, which is basically the Kentucky Derby/Breeders Cup of the Walking Horse world.

There are three main lakes in the area -- Woods, Normandy, and Tims Ford. Only Tim's Ford has lake front property. There are a lot of options there, but naturally the price of lake front property is higher and several are in pretty strong HOAs.

Tullahoma is the primary town in the area, though not by much. Manchester is growing because of the Interstate highway and access to Murfreesboro. Do you have or plan to have school age kids? Tullahoma probably has the better school district. There are four elementary schools in Tullahoma, with Robert E Lee being the best. So if that's a need you'd want to be in that district or Farrah Elementary. There are two middle schools which are about the same and one high school in Tullahoma. This is a very good high school which has produced a consistent flow of Merit Scholars and perfect ACT/SAT scores for it's size. This is the type of school where the cool kids are in band and theater rather than on the football team and a lot of the players also do theater.

Locally there is a community college -- Motlow which is a 2 year school, and the University of Tenn Space Institute which as a graduate engineering school. There is not a four year school in the immediate area, though as someone mentioned, the University of the South is in Sewanee (small but outstanding liberal arts school with a pretty campus) and the Middle Tenn State Univ in Murfreesboro.

Quote:
Are there any difference in property taxes rates? Some homes seem to have high taxes compared to the market value?

What can we expect to pay for home owners insurance for a $300,000 home?
How about utilities?

To be honest I'm not up on the property tax rates in the various areas. I don't find them too bad, but then I spent some years on CA and CO. There's no state income tax (though there is the Hall tax on interested earned from out of state investments). The big part of property tax includes school tax, so it's a trade off on school quality vs school tax. If schools are not a need, then county is cheaper than in the city.

Utilities are very reasonable. Several Co-ops provide them, depending on the area you're in. Tullahoma also includes fiber to the premises to homes and businesses.

Quote:

As far as shopping and entertainment what are the go to towns, cities?

Shopping is ok for basic items. Most folks go to Murfreesboro if they want to do serious shopping. Chattanooga and Huntsville are an hour or so away. Nashville is just a bit further. Nashville has pretty much anything you'd look for- pro football, hockey, minor league baseball, museums, concerts (not just country BTW). Chattanooga has a lot of tourist/vacation spots and has really rebuilt their downtown with aquarium and museums.

Quote:

How friendly is the government to home business? Low regulation?
I don't run a business so can't say from experience, but seem pretty friendly and minimal/basic regulation.

Quote:

Are there any local shooting ranges? How is the hunting access in the state? Mostly leased private?

How often do they typically issue tornado alerts during the season? I mean will we be ducking for cover every other day? Lol. I assume we need to be careful not to buy in a flood zone?

Outdoorsman's paradise. Three major lakes. Plus trout fishing below both Normandy and Tim's Ford dams. AEDC is run as a game management area. Deer are everywhere. Waterfowl during season on Woods. Multiple state parks nearby or within a short drive for camping and hiking. Fall Creek Falls is excellent state park and the nearby South Cumberland Fiery Gizzard trail was voted one of the best in the country by I believe Backpacker mag.

The get a bit trigger happy on tornado warnings, esp on base. We do get them through here occasionally. Yes, watch for flood plains when buying, but even more watch for drainage. This area is referred to the "pondy woods" by the early settlers because of the number of low lying drainage points.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:40 AM

Thanks for all the tips thus far. I'm checking out the realtracs website.

We don't have kids in school now and aren't AD military. As far as how rural we're just looking for some privacy with the homes spread out a little. 2-3 hundred yards from the next house would be nice. I'm thinking 5 acres would be prefect, but don't want a property that will take 15 hours a week to maintain.

I did a little research on property taxes and they do vary a lot. As far as counties Bedford is the cheapest. Moore and Franklin are also cheap and Coffee is the highest. How rural is Bedford?

Any tips on how to avoid buying a house that's going to end up flooded one day? I've lived out West most of my life so I'm pretty clueless on that subject. I've heard about 100 year flood maps and would ask the neighbors.

Thanks for the info on the wildlife area. Sounds like I won't having any trouble finding outdoor things to do.

I hear off base there are taxes on groceries. That's surprising. Is the commissary tiny like a convenience store? Do they have green groceries?

Old 09-14-2015, 03:37 PM

785 posts, read 615,153 times
-----

Quote:

We don't have kids in school now and aren't AD military. As far as how rural we're just looking for some privacy with the homes spread out a little. 2-3 hundred yards from the next house would be nice. I'm thinking 5 acres would be prefect, but don't want a property that will take 15 hours a week to maintain.

I did a little research on property taxes and they do vary a lot. As far as counties Bedford is the cheapest. Moore and Franklin are also cheap and Coffee is the highest. How rural is Bedford?Bedford County is an Ag county. Shelbyville itself has a population of ~22,000 and is an ethnically diverse community. Shelbyville has a big WalMart that is a plaza anchor for some other stores, a couple eateries and Verizon. Heritage hospital system was brand new a few years back. There are little shops and restaurants on the Town Square, plenty of grocery store options, convenience stores, a couple Dollar General type stores.

While there are some very rural Deliverance-looking roads, most of the roads in the county are paved and there are a few nice developments with big homes on larger lots; although I don't think any of them have more zthan1-2 acres at best.

Any tips on how to avoid buying a house that's going to end up flooded one day? I've lived out West most of my life so I'm pretty clueless on that subject. I've heard about 100 year flood maps and would ask the neighbors. you would need to insist your RE agent show you proof you aren't buying in a flood zone, even if the the house is already built. Some areas have been re-evaluated and believe me, the insurance company will happily let you know, if you've bought something that is now considered in a flood plain.

If you are doing this on your own, you could always go to the courthouse and look at the Platt maps.

If you're a hunter, you are somewhat familiar with what grasses/weeds tend to grow in wet areas as opposed to high and dry. Some swamp-type grasses also have a different odor to them that is easily recognizable. Study the landscape for the different types of grasses.

Thanks for the info on the wildlife area. Sounds like I won't having any trouble finding outdoor things to do.
Yes but the thing you don't want to do is just park your truck on a road you don't know and climb over or cut somebody's fence. I have heard stories and they weren't pretty, lol. Find the land owner and get permission

Plus there are quite a few farmers with beef cattle. I know one person who has his own farm plus leases a few hundred acres to run his cattle. He keeps a close eye on everything.

I hear off base there are taxes on groceries. That's surprising. Is the commissary tiny like a convenience store? Do they have green groceries?
^^^Cant help on Commissary. Yes taxes on some grocery items But no state tax!

Old 09-14-2015, 04:39 PM

5,750 posts, read 3,035,945 times
Quote:

I did a little research on property taxes and they do vary a lot. As far as counties Bedford is the cheapest. Moore and Franklin are also cheap and Coffee is the highest. How rural is Bedford?

Any tips on how to avoid buying a house that's going to end up flooded one day? I've lived out West most of my life so I'm pretty clueless on that subject. I've heard about 100 year flood maps and would ask the neighbors.

Ok, with no kids in school, you probably don't want to be in Tullahoma limits to avoid the taxes there. Bedford County is quite rural in parts, but heading toward Murfreesboro is starting to develop in that direction. You can still get large lots that way, but be aware Murfreesboro is expanding that way. I don't know any specific areas in Bedford, but I know that both Coffee and Franklin have a couple of developments with large lots like that.

A couple of other options is to look toward McMinnville in Warren county. Very ag with a lot of it being tree farms. You might also look at Moore county and Lynchburg. Very small county, but really pretty country. Nice rolling hills and mixed farming, small farms. Home of Jack Daniels. Franklin county is also very rural, but the agriculture there is more large scale if that matters. From what you've described, you might like the horse section of Bedford, or part of Moore just because they are really pretty with rolling hills. Coffee and Franklin are somewhat flatter, though Franklin does rise up toward Monteagle.

The Commissary/BX is decent, but be aware you won't find the huge selection you'd find at larger bases. The AD population is just too small. However Redstone in Huntsville is just an hour away so they have everything there.

Definitely get your realtor to help you avoid the flood zones and make sure you're covered. We can get some torrential rains and those small creeks can turn into rivers pretty fast. We also get long rainy periods where the ground gets saturated and can't hold any more water.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:52 PM

Thanks to you both. I have a much better idea of what to expecting now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or